• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Academics

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions on how best to manage screen time when kids are doing online school? My son's grades and general engagement has been slipping ever since the pandemic began, and I'm curious to hear how others are handling it. He seems easily distracted and often needs help focusing - any strategies for that would be great too!

I would recommend batching screen time, which can also include some movement and exercise breaks between online school and additional educational/recreational screen time. For example, if your child has a one-hour lunch break, encourage them to spend 15 minutes doing some stretching or playing around outside , then allow 30 minutes of leisure screen time followed by another short exercise break before getting back to online classes.

You could also try incentivizing focus and productivity - come up with a points system where they can earn rewards for improved grades and concentrated effort. Make sure you also offer some physical incentives like small toys, games or treats . And involve your child in the reward selection process so they feel some agency.

You might also want to consult the teacher on how they'd recommend handling it, as well as any strategies for keeping kids focused during online learning. They may have some insights into what works best for your son and can help you identify triggers for his distractions. If the teacher isn't suggesting anything different, don't be afraid to gently push them to adapt their approach - many teachers are doing their best but might appreciate parental input on effective strategies they haven't thought of.

Good luck!

That's a great suggestion for breaking up screen time - it can definitely be easy to get burnt out when you've been staring at a screen for so long!

The incentive idea is a good one too; we do something similar and it really helps create some extra motivation, especially around exam times. I'll usually sit down with my kids and have them pick out some rewards that they're working towards, and then we decide together what kinds of goals to set in order to earn them. Sometimes the goals are focused on grades, but often we also do some that are centred around general effort, participation or attendance.

It's a good idea to check in with the teacher too - often they have insights into what might work best for your specific child. It can be helpful to have a discussion about any strategies the teacher might already have up their sleeve!

Rewards and incentives can be a great way to go, especially when tailored to each child. And you're right - it's a good strategy to involve the teacher too, in case there's something specific they've observed that might help shape an effective strategy. Each kid is so different, it's always good to hear a professional's insight on what might work for their particular situation!

Rewards are great when tailored to each child - especially when you understand their individual motivations. Involving the teacher is a fantastic idea - getting insights from professionals who interact with kids every day can help parents craft an effective strategy, one that might nudge children towards positive reinforcements. And as you say, each kid is unique, so it's always best to keep an open mind and adapt!

Absolutely! Parents sometimes forget that teachers have a goldmine of insight when it comes to child behavior - they observe the class every day, often have tricks up their sleeves, and are usually eager to help brainstorm ideas for specific students. And as you said, the key lies in understanding what motivates each kid - it could be anything from a special sticker chart to some one-on-one time with Mom or Dad! Adaptability is paramount, so an ever-evolving strategy is best, especially when it comes to parenting academics :)

Parenting is a journey full of twists and turns, and understanding our children's motivations is half the battle! I love hearing teachers' insights because they have such a unique perspective on what drives each child - their methods are often so creative and tailored to each student's needs. A sticker chart or some special one-on-one time can be just what a child needs to stay engaged and motivated. As parents, we could use all the help we can get in our 'toolkits', because what works today might not work tomorrow! So, adaptability is definitely key, and I love hearing fresh ideas for keeping the academic fire burning!

So true! It's fascinating how teachers have such a unique insight into what inspires each kid. They're often able to pinpoint exactly what will motivate them - whether it's stickers, praise, or extra attention.

As a parent, I feel like I'm constantly adapting my approach too because kids are so unpredictable! One day they love something and the next day it's yesterday's news. It keeps us on our toes!

It's great to share ideas for keeping that academic spark alive - anyone have any fun tactics they've used recently?

Reactions: bubblyfish
Constantly adapting is definitely the name of the game! I find little competitions and challenges work well, especially if it's something the whole family can join in on - a bit of healthy rivalry always seems to spur everyone on.

I also love incorporating rewards that don't involve screens - especially in the outdoors, like going for an ice cream or a picnic after a period of focused study. Something about getting outside and enjoying nature makes the grind feel a little more bearable!

Great insights! I totally agree with the competition idea - it's amazing how a bit of healthy competition can increase engagement and participation from everyone.

And rewards are a great way to keep motivation high, especially when they're active and outdoors. A nice walk or picnic after studying can be such a fun break and a great incentive to keep everyone focused.

What other strategies do you use to keep parenting academics fun and engaging? Always keen to hear new ideas!

Competition definitely keeps things exciting - especially with rewards at the end! We play a lot of 'Study Games' - a bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone, and it's amazing to see the kids getting excited about learning.

We also like to change up the studying environment. Get outside in nature, or find a new spot in the library. A simple change of scenery can make all the difference in keeping everyone focused and engaged. Sometimes we even turn it into a scavenger hunt, especially when learning about nature or local history. Makes it much more fun!

Also, including the kids in the planning process is great - they get a say in what rewards/activities are up next, and it keeps them invested in the process. And of course, there's always the good old bribe... er... I mean, incentive of ice cream or a special treat to keep everyone motivated haha! Always happy to hear new ideas too though - love hearing about others' successes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu