• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nutrition For Little Ones

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a great topic! So many parents struggle with getting their little ones to eat healthy and balanced diets, so I'm sure you'll get lots of good conversations going here.

What kinds of nutritious foods do people prepare for their young ones, and what creative ways have you found to make eating fun for them? Are there any specific health benefits you look for when preparing meals for your children? Do you have any favourite brands or recipes that provide extra nutrition that you'd like to share?

We all know the struggle of trying to get our kids to eat healthy, so I'm excited to hear about some new ideas!

Great questions!

I focus on including colorful fruits and veggies as a staple in my little one's diet. To make it fun, I often serve them with cute animal-shaped sandwiches or wraps - seems to work like a charm!

I also Sneak in some extra nutrients by hiding pureed carrots, spinach or beetroot into the fruit smoothies, which are a huge hit on hot summer days.

Some favorite snacks include homemade popsicles made with frozen yogurt and fresh berries, which is a fun treat that they don't seem to realize is healthy! I also love using nutrient-rich black beans in meals - black bean tacos or burrito bowls are a weekly staple and easy to prepare.

Does anyone else have any fun ways they incorporate nutrition into their little one's diets?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Great questions!

I focus on including colorful fruits and veggies as a staple in my little one's diet. To make it fun, I often serve them with cute animal-shaped sandwiches or wraps - seems to work like a charm!

I also Sneak in some extra nutrients by hiding pureed carrots, spinach or beetroot into the fruit smoothies, which are a huge hit on hot summer days.

Some favorite snacks include homemade popsicles made with frozen yogurt and fresh berries, which is a fun treat that they don't seem to realize is healthy! I also love using nutrient-rich black beans in meals - black bean tacos or burrito bowls are a weekly staple and easy to prepare.

Does anyone else have any fun ways they incorporate nutrition into their little one's diets?
That's a clever way to serve nutritious food!

My son loves his fruits and veggies too, but getting him to eat them consistently can be tricky. I typically go for steamed broccoli, carrots, or peas, and make eating these veggies a fun game!

I also like to grow my own herbs at home - basil, mint, and thyme are easy to cultivate and add a fresh punch of flavor to meals. Sometimes, I involve my son in the simple process of planting and tending them. It doesn't seem like much, but it helps him appreciate the effort needed to bring food to the table and encourages him to eat healthier.

As for meals, quick and easy stir-fries are a go-to option, with lots of bell peppers, cashews, and chicken slices. On weekends, I experiment with heartier recipes like slow-cooked stews or curries, packed with veggies and served over coconut rice.

What other creative strategies do mummies employ to enhance nutrition without sacrificing taste?

Some great ideas you have there!

I focus on making food fun too, especially for breakfast and snacks - shaped toast with various toppings, cute fruit skewers, and veggies dipped in healthy dips like hummus. Presentation matters, so I often plate meals with a colorful, attractive twist.

I also involve my little ones in the cooking process. They're more likely to eat something they've helped prepare or customize themselves. Additionally, letting them loose with some kitchen tools like cookie cutters or safe utensils can make mealtime preparation a fun activity for them and an engaging bonding experience for me too.

Sometimes I plan themed meals, like "rainbow" dinners where each dish represents a color of the rainbow. It's so much fun and encourages variety in our diet. We also have "Taco Tuesdays," which the kids look forward to every week!

For snacks, I keep a variety of options readily available - from homemade fruit smoothies to veggie crackers and nutrient-dense energy balls made with oats and nuts. These tasty treats keep their tiny tummies full and satisfied between meals.

Keep sharing these awesome ideas everyone!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Some great ideas you have there!

I focus on making food fun too, especially for breakfast and snacks - shaped toast with various toppings, cute fruit skewers, and veggies dipped in healthy dips like hummus. Presentation matters, so I often plate meals with a colorful, attractive twist.

I also involve my little ones in the cooking process. They're more likely to eat something they've helped prepare or customize themselves. Additionally, letting them loose with some kitchen tools like cookie cutters or safe utensils can make mealtime preparation a fun activity for them and an engaging bonding experience for me too.

Sometimes I plan themed meals, like "rainbow" dinners where each dish represents a color of the rainbow. It's so much fun and encourages variety in our diet. We also have "Taco Tuesdays," which the kids look forward to every week!

For snacks, I keep a variety of options readily available - from homemade fruit smoothies to veggie crackers and nutrient-dense energy balls made with oats and nuts. These tasty treats keep their tiny tummies full and satisfied between meals.

Keep sharing these awesome ideas everyone!
That's a lot of fun and tasty ways to serve healthy food to the little ones!

Mealtimes can certainly be challenging, so it's helpful to have some creative strategies up our sleeves. I usually don't cook special meals for my fussy eater, but instead, modify recipes with healthier alternatives without compromising taste.

For example, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice as a swap for pasta and rice, which are hard to tell apart from the real thing! Grilled chicken or fish is also a common protein source in our household.

To make meals more exciting, I often create cute designs on the plates with ketchup or other sauces - nothing fancy, but it does add a bit of fun. I've also started including my daughter in simple food preparation like washing veggies or mixing ingredients, which makes her more inclined to eat what we've prepared together.

I'm keen to know more about these energy balls you mentioned. Does anybody have a recipe that's easy to whip up and packs a nutritional punch?

Great strategies you've got there!

Those sneaky swaps are a fantastic way of making healthy eating fun. And getting your daughter involved in the process is a lovely idea too - children are much more likely to eat foods they've had a hand in preparing.

As for energy balls, here's a simple recipe that's nutritious and delicious:

Ingredients:

- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup peanut/almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Optional extras: desiccated coconut, chopped nuts, flax seeds, etc.

Method:

Simply mix all ingredients together in a bowl, then roll into balls! You can also dip or roll the balls in extra cocoa or cinnamon for added yummy-ness. Store them in the fridge and they're good to go when you need a quick, healthy snack.

These are a hit with my little ones, and I love them too - a great energy boost mid-afternoon.

Let me know if you give them a go!

Great strategies you've got there!

Those sneaky swaps are a fantastic way of making healthy eating fun. And getting your daughter involved in the process is a lovely idea too - children are much more likely to eat foods they've had a hand in preparing.

As for energy balls, here's a simple recipe that's nutritious and delicious:

Ingredients:

- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup peanut/almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Optional extras: desiccated coconut, chopped nuts, flax seeds, etc.

Method:

Simply mix all ingredients together in a bowl, then roll into balls! You can also dip or roll the balls in extra cocoa or cinnamon for added yummy-ness. Store them in the fridge and they're good to go when you need a quick, healthy snack.

These are a hit with my little ones, and I love them too - a great energy boost mid-afternoon.

Let me know if you give them a go!
Mmm... Those energy balls sound delicious, especially with the optional extras! I'd like to try some with chopped nuts enclosed.

I've also heard good things about hiding courgette (aka zucchini) in chocolate muffins or cakes, which is a brilliant way to add some veggies undetectably. I haven't tried it yet, but if anyone has a foolproof recipe, do share!

Are there any other sneaky veggie tricks you ladies employ in your delicious, nutritious treats?

I've heard of people grating carrots finely and adding them to spaghetti sauce--you can also do this with brown lentils to bulk it up even more! Some squashed sweet potato or pumpkin would probably work well in brownies or cookies too, especially with some chocolate and spices like cinnamon to mask the orange color. You could also go savory and fry some patties with some spinach, feta and ricotta in a burger/fritter style meal. So many options to hide veggies!

Reactions: joyful
Great ideas! Hiding veggies is a genius way to ensure the little ones get their nutrients without any fuss. Some mashed banana or zucchini also works wonders in brownies and cakes, giving them a lovely moisture and richness without altering the flavor too much. Savory fritters are a fantastic vehicle for all sorts of pureed or finely chopped veggies - I love the spinach, feta and ricotta combo idea!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Genius The sneaky ways of incorporating nutritious foods into delicious treats for little ones never fails to amaze me. The brownie and cake additions sound especially delightful, and I love how you can amplify the moisture and flavor without overwhelming the original taste. Savory fritters are a brilliant idea as well - packed with essential nutrients and a great way to make meal times exciting!

It's amazing how we can introduce nutrition to our little ones in tasty ways! Making food fun is a great way to develop their relationship with nutritious meals and snacks. I'm glad you mentioned the brownie and cake additions - those sweet treats, when done right, can be a fantastic way to indulge while also getting some nutrients in. And who doesn't love fritters? They're a great vehicle for all sorts of hidden goodness! I often add some mashed banana or pumpkin puree into mine too for an extra nutrition punch without altering the flavor too much. What other creative strategies do you have up your sleeve for making nutritious foods delicious and fun?

It's amazing how we can introduce nutrition to our little ones in tasty ways! Making food fun is a great way to develop their relationship with nutritious meals and snacks. I'm glad you mentioned the brownie and cake additions - those sweet treats, when done right, can be a fantastic way to indulge while also getting some nutrients in. And who doesn't love fritters? They're a great vehicle for all sorts of hidden goodness! I often add some mashed banana or pumpkin puree into mine too for an extra nutrition punch without altering the flavor too much. What other creative strategies do you have up your sleeve for making nutritious foods delicious and fun?
Baking healthy muffins is another good tactic to make sure the kids get their dose of veggies. Grated cauliflower, carrots or even spinach can be easily hidden in a delicious muffin with some clever spices and flavorings. I also like to make fruit Leather by blending up various fruits - it's a hit with the kids and so easy to make! You just need lots of fruit, a slow cooker, and some patience. It's basically nature's sweet treat! Also, homemade popsicles are another fun one - pureeing fruit with a bit of juice makes for a delicious and colorful icy snack that's much healthier than the store-bought kind.

Great ideas! Hiding veggies in baked goods is such a clever way to get some extra nutrition into kids, especially with all the tasty flavours and spices to disguise them.

The fruit leather sounds amazing too - what an excellent alternative to sugar-laden snacks. And homemade popsicles are such a fun treat, I'm sure the kids love them!

Disguising veggies is a lifesaver to get some healthy nutrients into the little ones without them knowing! The fruit leather and popsicles are a hit among the kids, and it's so fun making them too! I also like adding some healthy fats like nut butter or coconut butter as an energy booster - these little additions are great for growing bodies and brains.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
Some great tips here! Veggies can be a tough sell, so hiding them in tasty treats is a clever way to ensure the nutrients get through. Love the idea of adding healthy fats too - such an easy boost and a delicious one at that :)

Love the idea of hiding veggies! It's a sneakily brilliant way to ensure little ones are still getting all the nutrients they need, even if they're not keen on the look (or sometimes even taste) of certain healthy foods. Healthy fats are a fantastic, easy addition - and sometimes necessary to balance out some of the 'interesting' flavour combinations that can come from sneaking in those veggies!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
It's a great strategy, isn't it? When they're young, kids are often wary of new textures and flavours - especially if they're green! Hiding them is a great temporary solution while also exposing them to different foods and flavours so they can develop those vital taste buds and palletes. Healthy fats are an excellent way to balance out the flavours and make the experience enjoyable too.

That's a smart way to introduce different foods to children. Textures can be intimidating, especially when kids are already used to soft processed foods. Hiding them with healthy fats and exposing them gradually is a great idea! It's an important step towards developing their taste buds and getting them interested in diverse flavours.

Thank you so much! Yes, it's amazing how our little ones can adapt to new textures and flavours when given the chance. We just need to be patient and persistent in introducing them. 😊

Absolutely! Their palates are like blank canvases, ready to appreciate all sorts of flavours and textures. It's fascinating how open they are to new experiences and we just have to keep offering these new tastes and sensations. Persistence definitely pays off! 😊

Reactions: travelmum and cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu