• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nutrition for growth

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thread: Nutrition for Growth
Forum: Nutrition and Feeding

In children, adequate nutrition is vital for proper growth and development. Malnutrition can impede physical and mental development, which may lead to short stature and poor health outcomes later in life.

Quality and quantity of diet both matter - a balanced intake of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats), vitamins, and minerals are essential.

What measures can be implemented to ensure children receive adequate nutrition for optimal growth? How can we encourage healthy eating habits while avoiding malnutrition?

Share your insights on nutrient requirements, dietary sources, and any cultural practices that promote good nutritional health!

Thread: Nutrition for Growth
Forum: Nutrition and Feeding

In children, adequate nutrition is vital for proper growth and development. Malnutrition can impede physical and mental development, which may lead to short stature and poor health outcomes later in life.

Quality and quantity of diet both matter - a balanced intake of macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats), vitamins, and minerals are essential.

What measures can be implemented to ensure children receive adequate nutrition for optimal growth? How can we encourage healthy eating habits while avoiding malnutrition?

Share your insights on nutrient requirements, dietary sources, and any cultural practices that promote good nutritional health!
Some parents may overlook the importance ofadequate nutrient intake for their growing kids, so education is key. Here are some practical measures to ensure kids get the nutrients they need for optimal growth:

1. Know the Basics: Understand the essential macronutrients, vitamins, and minerals required for growth. This knowledge empowers parents and caregivers to make informed food choices. Simple, accessible resources on nutritional requirements, like infographics or apps, could be a great visual guide for busy moms and dads.

2. Variety is the Spice of Life: Encourage a diverse diet with different colors and flavors from an early age. This helps ensure a variety of nutrients. Explain the concept of a "rainbow plate" with fun, bright foods to excite curious palates and teach them about eating a balanced meal.

3. Model Good Habits: Kids learn by example. If they see their parents snacking on veggies and fruit, they're more likely to follow suit. Make healthy snacks easily accessible and visible, so they become the go-to options. Show enthusiasm for the foods you want them to try - your excitement might just rub off on them!

4. Engage in Cooking: Involve children in planning and preparing meals. Teach them about the nutritional benefits of each ingredient and let them taste-test different spices and flavors. This can make mealtime an enjoyable, educational experience.

5. Limit Processed Foods: They're often high in salt, sugar, and fats, so it's better to avoid them where possible. Set a reasonable limit on screen time/advertising exposure, which usually goes hand in hand with increased consumption of these foods. Explain the reasons behind this decision to older kids.

6. Teach Nutrition Label Literacy: As kids grow older, teach them to interpret nutrition labels. Explain the ingredient deck and highlight the added sugars, trans fats, and high sodium levels that they should avoid. This empowers them to make informed choices outside the home.

7. Cultural Nutrient Treasures: Every culture has nutritional staples that promote health. Embrace and explore these traditional foods; they often provide a great source of nutrients. For instance, Asian diets heavily emphasize rice and noodles, which provide complex carbs, and it's common knowledge in Asia that fish is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.

8. Supplement Strategically: Despite a balanced diet, some kids may need specific supplements, especially if they have dietary restrictions or health conditions affecting nutrient absorption. Pediastricians can advise on this.

Remember, each child's nutritional needs are unique, so tailoring meals to their requirements and preferences is key. We can also avoid the malnutrition trap by educating ourselves and embracing the many delicious and nutritious foods available.

Do you guys have any tasty, nutritious favorites your kids love? I'd love to hear some new ideas! (And I'm sure other parents would too!)

Some parents may overlook the importance ofadequate nutrient intake for their growing kids, so education is key. Here are some practical measures to ensure kids get the nutrients they need for optimal growth:

1. Know the Basics: Understand the essential macronutrients, vitamins, and minerals required for growth. This knowledge empowers parents and caregivers to make informed food choices. Simple, accessible resources on nutritional requirements, like infographics or apps, could be a great visual guide for busy moms and dads.

2. Variety is the Spice of Life: Encourage a diverse diet with different colors and flavors from an early age. This helps ensure a variety of nutrients. Explain the concept of a "rainbow plate" with fun, bright foods to excite curious palates and teach them about eating a balanced meal.

3. Model Good Habits: Kids learn by example. If they see their parents snacking on veggies and fruit, they're more likely to follow suit. Make healthy snacks easily accessible and visible, so they become the go-to options. Show enthusiasm for the foods you want them to try - your excitement might just rub off on them!

4. Engage in Cooking: Involve children in planning and preparing meals. Teach them about the nutritional benefits of each ingredient and let them taste-test different spices and flavors. This can make mealtime an enjoyable, educational experience.

5. Limit Processed Foods: They're often high in salt, sugar, and fats, so it's better to avoid them where possible. Set a reasonable limit on screen time/advertising exposure, which usually goes hand in hand with increased consumption of these foods. Explain the reasons behind this decision to older kids.

6. Teach Nutrition Label Literacy: As kids grow older, teach them to interpret nutrition labels. Explain the ingredient deck and highlight the added sugars, trans fats, and high sodium levels that they should avoid. This empowers them to make informed choices outside the home.

7. Cultural Nutrient Treasures: Every culture has nutritional staples that promote health. Embrace and explore these traditional foods; they often provide a great source of nutrients. For instance, Asian diets heavily emphasize rice and noodles, which provide complex carbs, and it's common knowledge in Asia that fish is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.

8. Supplement Strategically: Despite a balanced diet, some kids may need specific supplements, especially if they have dietary restrictions or health conditions affecting nutrient absorption. Pediastricians can advise on this.

Remember, each child's nutritional needs are unique, so tailoring meals to their requirements and preferences is key. We can also avoid the malnutrition trap by educating ourselves and embracing the many delicious and nutritious foods available.

Do you guys have any tasty, nutritious favorites your kids love? I'd love to hear some new ideas! (And I'm sure other parents would too!)
My son loves his fruits and vegetables because we started him early on a variety of flavors and textures. He's quite the little foodie!

I agree with you on the point about modeling good habits - kids are such great mimics! I try to show enthusiasm for healthier foods, which seems to encourage my tot to give them a taste. As they say, leading by example is the best form of teaching.

It's also helpful to involve other family members in meal preparation. My son loves spending time with his grandmothers who, with plenty of patience, let him assist them in the kitchen. The pride on his face when he "cooks" his own meal is simply adorable! Activities like these create lovely memories and instill an appreciation for home-cooked, nutritious food.

On the topic of cultural foods, I'm curious to learn about traditional Asian remedies or dishes passed down through generations that promote health and wellness. They say grandmother's recipes are sometimes the best medicine! Are there any such remedies or meals you've found effective in improving nutrition or boosting immunity, especially for growing children?

Reactions: queenie
My go-to immunity-boosting remedy is a delicious ginger and lemon tea. It's super easy to make: just boil fresh ginger slices with a squeeze of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey. It's a drink the whole family enjoys, especially when the weather turns chilly.

Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and helps ease digestion - a must-have in our household during cold and flu season. Plus, it's a nice alternative to sugary drinks and artificial immune support supplements.

I also love using spices like turmeric and cinnamon in meals. They add a nice kick and have antioxidant properties. My kids enjoy them too, especially in smoothies or milkshakes. We often make a tasty mango lassi with yogurt, which is a fun way to cool down and nourish our bodies.

Grandma's wisdom is precious! These traditional remedies are gentle on the body but powerful in keeping us well.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
That sounds like a wonderful and tasty way to boost immunity and keep your family healthy!

It's amazing how effective these simple home remedies can be. I, too, swear by these spices; they're versatile and pack so much nutrition. It's great that you've found a fun way to incorporate them into your family's diet.

What other ingredients would you recommend to add to the tea for an extra health kick? Or do you have any favorite spice-based recipes up your sleeve? Let's share some inspiration here!

Fresh ginger is a fantastic addition with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. A thumb-sized piece of fresh grated ginger gives a wonderful zing to the tea.

I also sometimes add lemon juice, which has Vitamin C, great for boosting immunity. The citrusy tang cuts through any richness from the spices and creates a refreshing drink.

For an extra health kick and a unique earthy taste, you could also add moringa powder. It's a superfood with essential vitamins and minerals. A teaspoon of this powder makes a powerful addition to the tea and is a great natural energy booster.

Some people might enjoy a pinch of cayenne pepper for an extra spicy kick and a boost to circulation. This tea is such a versatile drink and a fantastic way to expose your taste buds to a world of health benefits!

Great suggestions all around!

I'm a big fan of adding fresh ginger, it's an easy way to add a lot of flavour without adding any extra calories and it has so many health benefits.

I've also started incorporating moringa powder into my morning smoothies - it's an exciting, slightly weird taste that adds a nice earthy kick. And of course, it's wonderful to know that you're giving your body a little extra boost of nutrition too.

Lemons are such a versatile fruit; I use them in so many drinks and even some recipes! The freshness it brings is amazing and the vitamin C is such a great immune booster especially during the colder seasons.

I've never tried cayenne pepper in the tea but it sounds like an interesting idea for those who enjoy a spicier taste - might have to give it a go!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: eternity and joyful
Great suggestions all around!

I'm a big fan of adding fresh ginger, it's an easy way to add a lot of flavour without adding any extra calories and it has so many health benefits.

I've also started incorporating moringa powder into my morning smoothies - it's an exciting, slightly weird taste that adds a nice earthy kick. And of course, it's wonderful to know that you're giving your body a little extra boost of nutrition too.

Lemons are such a versatile fruit; I use them in so many drinks and even some recipes! The freshness it brings is amazing and the vitamin C is such a great immune booster especially during the colder seasons.

I've never tried cayenne pepper in the tea but it sounds like an interesting idea for those who enjoy a spicier taste - might have to give it a go!
Yeah, these natural ingredients are fantastic! Each ingredient has its unique and distinct flavour that brighten up our drinks and meals. It's exciting to explore and experiment with them in different recipes.

Have you also tried using mint leaves? They make a great addition to your usual tea and go well with the citrusy lemon. The cool, crisp freshness of the mint complements the zing of ginger and lemons deliciously. And like you said, there's always that satisfying feeling of knowing you're doing something good for your body.

What other ingredients do you typically use in your teas or immune-boosting recipes?

I love adding mint leaves too! They're an absolute classic in tea, especially when paired with lemon and honey. I've also started infusing my teas with some spices like cinnamon and cloves for a real warmth and kick.

I've been reading up on some traditional medicinals and elderberry is supposed to be amazing for immune support - sweet and nutty with a hint of bitterness. I'm keen to experiment with adding it to my tea blends but haven't found a good recipe yet. Would love to hear if you have any suggestions!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
I've been experimenting a bit with elderflower and it goes beautifully with mint - a really lovely, refreshing summer drink. I'll have to try some spices too, sounds delicious!

Elderberry is fantastic - I use it dried, it has a lovely sweet flavour. I usually add it to my blends for an extra immune boost and some depth of flavor. It goes well with red rooibos, a little goes a long way and the sweetness balances out rooibos' earthy tones.

I'm yet to find a fail-proof recipe, but I've had luck adding a teaspoon each of dried elderberries, mint leaves and lemon balm to two cups of boiling water. Let it steep for about 10 mins then sweeten with honey - the flavor is wonderful!

Elderflower and mint is a fantastic combination; I can only imagine how refreshing it is! I've had elderberry tea before, but never thought to add it dried to blends. That's an excellent idea!

I'm a big fan of rooibos - I'll have to try it with elderberry. The sweetness would definitely balance out the earthy tones. Your recipe sounds delicious too, I might give that a go later today!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu