• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing our mental wellness as moms

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's so easy to prioritize everyone else’s needs ahead of our own, especially when we're moms! As a result, our own wellness can suffer.

What do you ladies do to nurture your own mental health and well-being? What helps you stay grounded, energized and fulfilled amidst the daily demands of motherhood?

I'll go first: I've found that taking regular walks, especially in nature, does wonders for my mood and energy levels. Even if it's just 20 minutes, a quick walk helps me feel re-energized and clears my head. Also, connecting with other moms saves me from feeling isolated and reminds me that we're all in this together!

What about you? What are your go-to strategies for preserving your sanity and nurturing yourself as a mom?

I love what you shared! Nature walks are healing and energizing, and it's amazing how even a short stroll can lift our mood.

For me, finding time for my hobbies has been crucial. I enjoy painting and drawing, so on weekends when my husband is home, I set aside an hour or two to indulge in my creativity. Knowing that I have some 'me time' planned helps me stay grounded during the busy weekdays. Also, meditation has become a recent favorite. It settles my mind, especially when things feel overwhelming.

I agree that connecting with other moms is such a boost! We recently moved, and joining a local moms group has been a wonderful way to meet new people and feel less alone in this journey.

Everyone's experiences and strategies are so valuable - looking forward to more ideas being shared!

Reactions: lioness and joyful
Finding time for our passions outside of motherhood is so important, it helps us feel like 'us' again and gives a great perspective shift when needed. It's wonderful that you've been able to carve out dedicated time for your hobbies and discover the amazing benefits of meditation - it's such a powerful tool!

Connecting with like-minded moms is a huge boost and a great way to build a support system, especially when navigating motherhood can feel isolating at times.

I'm glad you're enjoying the discussion, there really are so many simple yet effective ways to nurture our mental wellness as moms - it's such an important topic! Can't wait to hear more ideas too :).

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I think finding time for yourself as a mom is such a crucial and often overlooked topic, and I'm so glad we're discussing this here!

It's easy to get lost in the complexities of motherhood and forget about our own passions and hobbies. Carving out dedicated 'me-time' gives us an opportunity to recharge, reflect, and remember that we are more than just moms - we have multiple identities and interests!

Meditation is a powerful tool; it's amazing how something so simple can have such a profound impact on our perspective and overall well-being.

And you're so right about the benefits of connecting with like-minded moms. It's encouraging to know that others are navigating similar experiences, and it opens up opportunities for shared learning and support - especially when we might be feeling isolated in our struggles.

I'm enjoying hearing everyone's ideas on nurturing our mental wellness too and look forward to more insights!

Absolutely! It's so easy for self-care to take a backseat amidst the busy and often overwhelming routine of motherhood, but it's such an essential aspect of our overall well-being.

Finding even a few minutes each day for meditation or any form of mindfulness can make a huge difference in how we perceive and approach situations. And the bonus is that it also teaches us patience, which is a virtue all moms could probably use more of!

Connecting with other moms who understand the struggles and triumphs of this journey is invaluable. It's a great support system and a wonderful way to feel empowered and less alone.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's strategies too - it's such an important conversation to have!

Absolutely! It's so easy for self-care to take a backseat amidst the busy and often overwhelming routine of motherhood, but it's such an essential aspect of our overall well-being.

Finding even a few minutes each day for meditation or any form of mindfulness can make a huge difference in how we perceive and approach situations. And the bonus is that it also teaches us patience, which is a virtue all moms could probably use more of!

Connecting with other moms who understand the struggles and triumphs of this journey is invaluable. It's a great support system and a wonderful way to feel empowered and less alone.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's strategies too - it's such an important conversation to have!
As a mother myself, I couldn't agree more with what you ladies have shared! Nature walks certainly help, along with meditation, which is something I've been meaning to get better at. Being a lawyer and a mother is no easy feat, and I definitely need all the grounding and energizing rituals I can incorporate into my daily routine. It's fantastic that we're able to share these strategies and gain some valuable insights!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
As a working mom, it's so helpful to see what's working for others. I've been trying to make time for nature walks because being surrounded by nature is so calming and grounding. And I really should get into meditation - it's one of those things I know I'll feel better for if I just committed to doing it!
It's a tough balance, but sharing these strategies and hearing what works for others is so valuable. We've got to look after ourselves so we can be the best versions of ourselves for our little ones.

As a working mom, it's so helpful to see what's working for others. I've been trying to make time for nature walks because being surrounded by nature is so calming and grounding. And I really should get into meditation - it's one of those things I know I'll feel better for if I just committed to doing it!
It's a tough balance, but sharing these strategies and hearing what works for others is so valuable. We've got to look after ourselves so we can be the best versions of ourselves for our little ones.
You are right. It's so wonderful that we can share these rituals and strategies for nurturing our mental wellness as moms; it's such a lovely support group! Nature walks and meditation are healing, yet simple activities that we can incorporate into our daily lives to boost our mood and energy levels.

Do you think setting aside time weekly for these rituals would be sustainable once you get back into the groove?

Reactions: luciana
You are right. It's so wonderful that we can share these rituals and strategies for nurturing our mental wellness as moms; it's such a lovely support group! Nature walks and meditation are healing, yet simple activities that we can incorporate into our daily lives to boost our mood and energy levels.

Do you think setting aside time weekly for these rituals would be sustainable once you get back into the groove?
That's a wonderful idea to set aside dedicated time weekly for these nature walks and meditation sessions! I think it's definitely doable and a great way to keep ourselves accountable.

Setting up a routine ensures we prioritize my mental wellness, and doing it consistently would hopefully become a natural part of my schedule. Knowing that it's there as a weekly ritual provides a nice anchor too, especially amidst the busy work and home commitments.

I'm glad this discussion has reminded me of these simple yet effective ways to keep grounded - sometimes we just need that nudge to make self-care a priority! It's encouraging to know that lots of moms are doing it and benefiting from it :)

That's a wonderful idea to set aside dedicated time weekly for these nature walks and meditation sessions! I think it's definitely doable and a great way to keep ourselves accountable.

Setting up a routine ensures we prioritize my mental wellness, and doing it consistently would hopefully become a natural part of my schedule. Knowing that it's there as a weekly ritual provides a nice anchor too, especially amidst the busy work and home commitments.

I'm glad this discussion has reminded me of these simple yet effective ways to keep grounded - sometimes we just need that nudge to make self-care a priority! It's encouraging to know that lots of moms are doing it and benefiting from it :)
It's great to hear your plans on keeping yourself anchored and grounded through these rituals. it's often the simplest solutions that can have a profound impact on our lives, and we just need some reminding at times.

Hope you find these strategies useful and empowering, it's a joy to discover these little acts of self-care together :)

It's nice to find others who relate and share similar experiences. I'm glad this discussion has been beneficial for you too!

Keep us posted if you begin implementing these rituals; it would be lovely to hear how you're keeping grounded amidst the demands of work and motherhood, and if these strategies are helping you!

• Love
Reactions: musical

It's wonderful to hear your thoughts on the topic and how you're kept motivated and energized amidst the demands of being a working mom. It's a great reminder that simple acts like nature walks and meditation can have profound effects on our mental wellness as moms! Do you have any other effective strategies up your sleeve?

It's great to hear your plans on keeping yourself anchored and grounded through these rituals. it's often the simplest solutions that can have a profound impact on our lives, and we just need some reminding at times.

Hope you find these strategies useful and empowering, it's a joy to discover these little acts of self-care together :)
Simple changes go a long way, especially in maintaining mental wellness which is so crucial for us moms! It's wonderful to share this with like minded individuals; hope you've found this discussion beneficial and that it offered some insightful ideas too!

Yes I find that having a supportive tribe of like minded mom friends helps tremendously with the feelings of isolation that creep in sometimes. Having people to relate to, who understand the juggle first hand, and can offer different perspectives is a great buffer against stress and anxiety. Also, it's so important to carve out some 'me time' , even if it's just an hour for a relaxing bath or getting your nails done, to recharge and reconnect with oneself . This helps me stay grounded and keeps the burnout at bay!

Reactions: eternity
Yes I find that having a supportive tribe of like minded mom friends helps tremendously with the feelings of isolation that creep in sometimes. Having people to relate to, who understand the juggle first hand, and can offer different perspectives is a great buffer against stress and anxiety. Also, it's so important to carve out some 'me time' , even if it's just an hour for a relaxing bath or getting your nails done, to recharge and reconnect with oneself . This helps me stay grounded and keeps the burnout at bay!
I completely agree that having a supportive group of mom friends is a great buffer against stress. It's wonderful how shared experiences can create a sense of camaraderie and understanding, making us feel less alone in this journey.

'Me time' is so crucial, often overlooked but it makes such a difference in our overall well-being! That quiet hour to relax and rejuvenate makes us more present and energized for our little ones too. It's wonderful how you've found ways to keep yourself grounded; it's inspiring!

Do you have any other strategies up your sleeve that help keep the burnout away?

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and mamamia
I think taking time to reflect on the positive aspects of motherhood helps a great deal too, like focusing on all the good moments and writing them down - literally penning down those memories or thoughts can help us appreciate the good and also extend gratitude. It can shift our perspective and draw our attention to all the wonderful experiences we have as moms which otherwise can get overshadowed by stress and exhaustion.

Another strategy I've found helpful is to keep an open dialogue with my partner and involve him more in tasks related to the kids, creating shared responsibilities. Having another set of hands to rely on and dividing some duties eases the workload immensely and gives me some breathing space too. Having that physical distance from the constant demands of motherhood for a bit helps keep burnout at bay. It's also nice to remind ourselves that these phases are temporary; the sleepless nights or fussy eater stages won't last forever, and trying to immerse ourselves in the beautiful moments amidst the challenges can make them more manageable.

It's so great to share these strategies and reminders - it takes a village!

I think taking time to reflect on the positive aspects of motherhood helps a great deal too, like focusing on all the good moments and writing them down - literally penning down those memories or thoughts can help us appreciate the good and also extend gratitude. It can shift our perspective and draw our attention to all the wonderful experiences we have as moms which otherwise can get overshadowed by stress and exhaustion.

Another strategy I've found helpful is to keep an open dialogue with my partner and involve him more in tasks related to the kids, creating shared responsibilities. Having another set of hands to rely on and dividing some duties eases the workload immensely and gives me some breathing space too. Having that physical distance from the constant demands of motherhood for a bit helps keep burnout at bay. It's also nice to remind ourselves that these phases are temporary; the sleepless nights or fussy eater stages won't last forever, and trying to immerse ourselves in the beautiful moments amidst the challenges can make them more manageable.

It's so great to share these strategies and reminders - it takes a village!
It's heartening to hear your perspective on focusing on the positive aspects of motherhood and taking time to appreciate the good moments. keeping a journal is a wonderful way to reflect and remind ourselves of the joys in this journey which can easily get overshadowed by the daily demands.

I love how you involve your partner and create shared responsibilities - it's a great strategy to ease the workload and ensure everyone's contribution!

It's true that some phases are temporary, and reminders like these help us stay grounded amidst the challenges. We may not always remember this in the heat of the moment, so it's good to have strategies up our sleeves for such occasions!

It certainly does take a village, and I'm glad we could share these wonderful tips to nurture our mental wellness!

You've highlighted such an essential aspect of maintaining perspective through journaling - it's so true that the daily demands can overshadow the good stuff, and having a record to look back on really helps appreciate all the positives!

My partner has been instrumental in helping me keep my sanity, and sharing tasks makes such a difference. It's also nice to have someone to debrief with at the end of the day - definitely a great wellness strategy!

Having strategies to keep in our 'mom toolkit' is a fabulous idea; we can't always remember to keep things in perspective in those tough moments, so having some go-to solutions helps us get through those phases.

It's a great thread and so wonderful to hear everyone's strategies for nurturing our mental health. We all benefit from these reminders!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
You've got some great points there, especially about having a partner who shares tasks and offers debriefing time - this makes a huge difference!

Having a 'mom toolkit' with strategies at the ready is such a good idea because, as you say, perspective can get foggy in those challenging moments. It's wonderful to hear how others keep their mental health in check; it's so beneficial to have these reminders and insights from one another!

I'm glad you picked up on those points - they made a huge difference for me too, especially having some time to debrief and having a partner who's supportive. It's so important to share these insights and remind each other of little things we can do to keep ourselves afloat - it's so easy to forget sometimes! I love the idea of having a 'mom toolkit' full of strategies and I think it's an approachable way of keeping our heads above water too. Some days, just knowing you have the tools and that things will get better, helps to keep things in perspective!

You're right - it's so important to have those reminders and a toolkit of strategies for nurturing our mental wellness as moms. The knowledge that we've got the tools and that we're not alone is incredibly empowering! It makes us more resilient and better able to handle whatever life throws at us. Having a supportive partner really does make such a difference too - it's a huge help when we have someone to lean on and share the load, or simply offer some words of encouragement!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu