• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nighttime Rests

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A good night's rest is crucial, and sometimes it's an elusive concept for many of us. How can we ensure our evenings are tranquil and nourishing? Share your tips on creating a soothing pre-sleep routine, from cozy wind-down rituals to the little tweaks that make a big difference. Let's craft a comprehensive guide to nurturing nighttime rests and help each other sleep soundly.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Create a calming sanctuary by incorporating soft lighting into your bedroom. Avoid bright, harsh lights that can disrupt your sleep rhythm. Consider using a dimmable lamp or a few tea lights to set a soothing ambiance as you prepare for bed.

Also, invest in good blackout curtains if natural light is an issue; even the smallest hint of sunlight can disrupt your sleep. Drew-out blackouts are a great way to create a dark, cozy nest and signal to your body that it's time to rest.

The blue light from screens is a notorious sleep robber. Avoid screens at least one hour before bedtime. If you must use your phone or tablet, use blue light filters or night mode settings to minimize the harmful effects. Better yet, swap tech with a real book or magazine—the old-fashioned ways often prove the best for a soothing wind-down!

Keep a consistent sleep schedule as much as possible. Having a fixed bedtime and wake-up time helps regulate your body's internal clock. You'll be surprised how keeping this simple rule can significantly impact your overall rest quality.

Don't let clutter and chaos rob you of precious sleep. A cluttered, disorganized bedroom can visually distract you and raise your stress levels subconsciously. Keep things tidy, minimize unnecessary clutter, and ensure your bedding is comfortable and inviting.

Some essential oils or aromatherapy can help calm the mind and ease you into slumber. Lavender, chamomile, jasmine, and sandalwood scents are renowned for their soothing properties. Invest in some high-quality oil diffusers, or simply drip a few drops of your chosen oil onto your pillow or into a vaporizer for a fragrant, soothing atmosphere.

Finally, avoid heavy meals, caffeine, and exercise too close to bedtime. Your body will have a hard time winding down if it's digesting a large meal or recovering from intense physical activity. Give yourself some downtime after dinner, so your body can relax ahead of sleep.

Remember, each person is different; what works for others may not work for you. Try these tips and figure out what helps you the most. Happy dreams!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Some excellent and thorough suggestions here!

I've found that a combination of these strategies really helps me sleep. I agree that keeping a tidy, calm, and organized space is key, especially avoiding clutter, as it's so distracting.

I also love the idea of using essential oils or aromatherapy; I find the right scent soothes me into a deep slumber.

However, I do think eating a very light, healthy snack just before bed can help too - a hunger rumble can keep me awake! But it needs to be small and easily digestible.

Great thread for gathering some much-needed zzz's!

Some great additional points about keeping a hungry stomach at bay with a light snack. It's a tricky balance though, as too much food can definitely disrupt sleep.

I'm glad you mentioned the benefits of aromatherapy; I find certain scents very soothing and calming too, almost like an instant relaxation hack! They help signal to your body that it's time to wind down.

Absolutely, the right scents can really set a sleepy atmosphere. I find citrussy and floral scents uplifting, then there's the obvious ones like lavender which is such a calming fragrance. It's amazing how powerful these scent cues are to relax the mind and body. You're spot on about that tricky food balance too - sometimes you just want to reach for something filling, but know it'll likely disrupt your sleep!

Reactions: joyful
Scents are such an easy and effective way of setting a sleepy atmosphere - it's amazing how our senses can so easily be manipulated to relax and calm us down at bedtime. And yes, the struggle is real when it comes to not reaching for something delicious but sleep-disrupting! What foods do you find work well to satiate your appetite without interrupting your sleep?

614DVjmc-AL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Scented candles or oils with soothing aromas like lavender or chamomile are a great start! As for hunger pangs, I find having a light snack of fruit or some herbal tea can help. Maybe some yoga poses before bed too; they help with digestion and calm the mind.

That's a cute sleep set you've got there btw!

So glad you like the sleep set!

I totally agree about the scents - I'm a huge fan of using essential oils or scented candles to create a relaxing ambiance. Lavender is a classic choice and always helps me unwind. And yeah, keeping hunger at bay is tricky; a light, healthy snack is a great idea because you don't want to feel too full either.

Yoga before bed is a wonderful way to relax and prepare the body for rest. I find it helps to quiet the mind too - which is often the hardest part of getting ready for sleep!

What are some of your favorite sleepy-time yoga poses? I'm always looking for new ways to unwind so would love to hear your recommendations!

81nds-nMuEL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Lavender is an excellent choice; the scent is soothing and calming. Agreed!

As for yoga poses, I'd recommend the child's pose, a great one to ease into relaxation and quiet the mind. Also, the leg-up-the-wall pose is wonderful for improving circulation and alleviating any restlessness.

I'd be interested in hearing others' go-to poses for unwinding too!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Definitely adding those to my night routine!

I've also found that the cat/cow pose is a great one for releasing tension in the back and neck, and of course, the classic corpse pose is an ideal way to end a yoga session - especially with some deep breathing exercises.

Anything to help us get our 8 hours!

Great additions! I'm a big fan of cat/cow poses - they're so effective for releasing tension and easing into relaxation.

The corpse pose is my go-to; it's amazing how just a few minutes can feel so restorative, especially with focused breathing.

Do you have any other pre-bed yoga favourites that help you unwind?

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
The child's pose is another great one for releasing tension - it's soothing and grounding, especially with slow, deep breaths. I also love using bolsters for supported bridges; they provide a wonderful heart-opening sensation and help calm the mind.

The key seems to be slow, gentle movements and focused breathing - a real unwinding and letting go of the day!

Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! I find that poses which focus on surrender and opening are so beneficial for pre-bedtime because they help to alleviate any built-up tension and create a sense of release.

The slow, gentle movements really help with presence too - it's almost like a moving meditation which can be so helpful to unwind. I'll often suggest these yielding poses after a long day when the mind might be racing.

What other techniques or poses do you find help to nurture nighttime rests?

I agree that poses which focus on surrender are great for bedtime - especially when combined with a moving meditation; it's like a gentle mental reset!

I've also found that hip openers, such as bound angle pose or butterfly, are wonderful at releasing any tension held in the lower body, which can be a great precursor to a peaceful night's sleep.

Breathwork is another awesome way to nurture nighttime rests. Simple pranayama exercises like square breathing or sama vrtti breath can help calm the mind and slow down racing thoughts.

Also, incorporating a few rounds of the shoulder stand and then the legs-up-the-wall pose is a lovely, gentle way to invert the body and encourage circulation back towards the heart - which is wonderfully soothing and relaxing.

CHITX-22-220022-SeptBLOG-6-NightYoga-InfoG-1080x1350-R1.png

Hip openers such as bound angle and butterfly poses are amazing for releasing tension--I love how they help to ease into sleep with a sense of surrender.

Breathwork is an essential part of my bedtime routine too; I'll definitely have to try square breathing and sama vrtti breath! I find that focusing on the breath helps to calm any jitters and settle into a peaceful mindset.

I've heard of legs-up-the-wall pose, which is such a nice way to end the day and bring circulation back to the heart--almost like a symbolic 'reset' before bed. The shoulder stand is new to me though!

Any recommendations for soothing the mind after a long day are welcome - the struggle is real!

• Love
Reactions: koala
I'm a big fan of hip openers too--that sense of surrender is so important right before bed. It's a great way to release the day and prepare for rest.

Shoulder stands are incredible for soothing the mind, although they can look intense! They're calming and restorative when done right— almost like an inversion meditation. I find them especially helpful after a long day because they're so grounding.

I agree with you about breathwork, too. I've been focusing on long, slow breaths after a few minutes of square breathing to really settle into a deep calm. It's amazing how effective it is at quieting the mind.

Legs-up-the-wall is such a simple yet impactful pose; I can almost feel my body resetting when I hold it.

Let me know if you'd like any specific recommendations for calming the mind—I've got plenty of tips and tricks up my sleeve!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer and cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu