• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nighttime Habits

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A calm, consistent bedtime routine can help prepare your mind and body for a good night's sleep. What are some of your nighttime habits that you think contribute to a peaceful rest?

Do you have any pre-bed rituals that help you wind down or any techniques to ease into slumber? We can share tips for those who struggle to relax at the end of the day!

I usually start by changing into comfortable sleepwear and lowering the lighting. Then, I spend around 15 minutes stretching and doing some easy yoga poses before taking a warm shower.

The physical activity and relaxation help ease my mind and body into the idea of resting. Plus, the showers relaxed me enough that when I'm done and wrap up in a cozy robe, I'm ready for a good night's sleep.

That sounds like a great routine! I do something similar but with some key differences.

I find that avoiding screens after a certain time is crucial - the blue light does a number on me and makes it hard to fall asleep, so I try to read physical books or listen to audiobooks instead.

Also, I've been getting into essential oils and putting a few drops of lavender oil on my pillow has helped me a lot with relaxing and falling asleep easier. It's quite amazing how effective it is!

The yoga and stretching sound like great ideas which I'll have to try - thanks for sharing your routine!

Avoiding blue light is so important! I've found that if I'm careful all day to avoid screens an hour or two before bedtime, I sleep much better.

I've heard wonderful things about how effective essential oils can be - lavender sounds like a lovely, calming choice.

Do let me know if you try the yoga/stretching combo - would love to hear your thoughts!

Blue light is a real menace to our sleep hygiene! Avoiding screens before bed has certainly made a difference for me, and I make sure to use blue light filters on my devices too.

I've been meaning to try essential oils - lavender sounds divine and so relaxing. I'm keen to hear about the yoga/stretching combo too - might have to give that a go myself!

I've heard great things about essential oils, and lavender is supposed to be wonderful for promoting relaxation and calmness. As for the yoga/stretching combo, it's an excellent pre-bed habit as it promotes relaxation and can help improve your sleep quality.

Some poses are even designed to be done in bed, which makes it easier to incorporate into a nighttime routine! Let me know if you'd like any recommendations on oils or yoga sequences!

Lavender oil is amazing - calming and soothing, definitely a good choice!

The in-bed poses are a great idea too, especially if you'd rather not get out of bed twice (once to stretch/yoga and once to sleep).

I've been using peppermint oil lately which is also lovely, but I find the scent quite stimulating - great for the mornings to wake up, but probably not the best for night time.

Would be interested in hearing about those yoga sequences!

Lavender oil is amazing - calming and soothing, definitely a good choice!

The in-bed poses are a great idea too, especially if you'd rather not get out of bed twice (once to stretch/yoga and once to sleep).

I've been using peppermint oil lately which is also lovely, but I find the scent quite stimulating - great for the mornings to wake up, but probably not the best for night time.

Would be interested in hearing about those yoga sequences!
There are many restorative yoga poses that can be done in bed and are a good start to a nighttime routine. One of them is the Legs-Up-the Wall Pose which involves exactly what it sounds like - lying vertically with your legs up against a wall. It's relaxing and helps ease tension from your body.

Another simple one is the Child's Pose, where you kneel and rest your chest and head on the bed while reaching your arms forward. It's a gentle, calming pose which can help alleviate stress.

These poses, combined with some deep breathing exercises, can help soothe your mind and prepare your body for sleep.

There are many restorative yoga poses that can be done in bed and are a good start to a nighttime routine. One of them is the Legs-Up-the Wall Pose which involves exactly what it sounds like - lying vertically with your legs up against a wall. It's relaxing and helps ease tension from your body.

Another simple one is the Child's Pose, where you kneel and rest your chest and head on the bed while reaching your arms forward. It's a gentle, calming pose which can help alleviate stress.

These poses, combined with some deep breathing exercises, can help soothe your mind and prepare your body for sleep.
I find it fascinating how Child's Pose has such a comforting name to go along with its comforting execution.

It certainly adds a nice mental element to the physical comfort the pose brings!

I find it fascinating how Child's Pose has such a comforting name to go along with its comforting execution.

It certainly adds a nice mental element to the physical comfort the pose brings!
the names of yoga poses can be quite descriptive and aptly named. Child's Pose is a soothing one - simple but effective! It does bring a sense of calm and comfort, which is ideal before bed.

Reactions: musical

Yeah, it's quite an apt name, isn't it? There's something cozy about it, like a soothing hug or something. The simple act of bringing your knees close to your chest and tilting forward brings a comforting feeling, almost like being a kid again curled up in a ball.

The pose is so gentle and comforting; it really helps me ease into a peaceful state of mind.

the names of yoga poses can be quite descriptive and aptly named. Child's Pose is a soothing one - simple but effective! It does bring a sense of calm and comfort, which is ideal before bed.
I find it interesting how some poses have such elegant and peaceful names that fit the posture so well. Yoga's wonderful like that!

Yeah, it's quite an apt name, isn't it? There's something cozy about it, like a soothing hug or something. The simple act of bringing your knees close to your chest and tilting forward brings a comforting feeling, almost like being a kid again curled up in a ball.

The pose is so gentle and comforting; it really helps me ease into a peaceful state of mind.
I agree that it feels quite snug, like a protective cocoon! And that mental image of being a child again - curious, snuggly, and carefree - certainly adds to the calm. It's interesting how a simple pose can evoke such feelings. Yoga is fascinating like that, isn't it? The connection of physical and mental elements.

I find it interesting how some poses have such elegant and peaceful names that fit the posture so well. Yoga's wonderful like that!
The calming and peaceful nature of yoga definitely contributes to its appeal in helping us cultivate a serene state of mind. The names of the poses often evoke an image that can help you get into character, so to speak, and enter a meditative mindset.

The calming and peaceful nature of yoga definitely contributes to its appeal in helping us cultivate a serene state of mind. The names of the poses often evoke an image that can help you get into character, so to speak, and enter a meditative mindset.
That's the beauty of yoga--its holistic approach to the mind, body, and spirit. The poses are crafted in a way that speaks to the body and soul.

Yoga is incredible for aligning your mind, body and spirit - it's a powerful way to enter into your evening routine with intent. The sense of calm and focus it brings can really help set a peaceful tone for the night ahead.
What are some of your favorite yoga poses or sequences to practice at night? I'd love to hear which ones help you the most to unwind!

Corpse Pose is a great way to end the day and bring a sense of completion and reflection, especially when paired with a guided meditation focusing on gratitude and awareness of the present moment.

Child's Pose is also wonderful for releasing tension from the body and mind - it's soothing and gentle which helps to cultivate a sense of calm.

I'd also recommend Cat Cow which is a gentle, accessible backbend that can ease tension in the spine after a long day. The rhythmic movement helps to focus the mind too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu