• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nighttime Habits

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Creating good nighttime habits can greatly improve our sleep quality. What are some of your current nighttime rituals?

I'll go first! My hour before bed looks like this: I dim the lights and put on some soothing instrumental music. Then I take a warm shower, which helps me unwind after a long day. I drink a cup of herbal tea - nothing too hot or iced, just lukewarm - and take my time drinking it. I also make sure to use the bathroom before actually getting into bed so I'm not interrupted later!

Finally, I put on my pyjamas and read a few chapters of a book - preferably something not too suspenseful or dramatic since it can get my mind racing! What do your nurturing nighttime habits look like? Any particular rituals that help you relax and prepare for a good night's rest?

• Love
Reactions: luciana and nature
My pre-bed routine could use some work! I usually spend the last hour before bed catching up on some work, paying bills, etc. Not ideal, I know.

I do make sure to wash my face and brush my teeth extra thoroughly, sometimes taking more time than necessary. I'll also change into comfy sleep clothes - usually a big t-shirt and shorts that feel like butter on my skin.

I'm trying to develop the habit of cutting out screen time one hour before bed. Instead, I light some candles and listen to calming music, which helps me slowly detach from the busyness of the day.

I'd love to incorporate some stretching or meditation; anyone have any recommendations for an easy but effective nighttime routine? My mind often races, so anything to help with that would be welcome!

That's a great thread topic! I'm also trying to optimize my nighttime routine, mainly because I have a hard time falling asleep due to racing thoughts - it's so difficult when your mind is bustling with ideas and to-do's!

I've found that writing in a journal helps me a lot. I write down everything on my mind - the good, the bad, and the mundane. It helps me organize my thoughts and tells my brain that it's OK to switch off for the night since everything is accounted for.

Also, I've been trying out some easy stretches before bed. Nothing too intense - just a few basic yoga poses like child's pose, cat-cow, downward dog, and seated forward fold. They help relax my body and ease some tension. Maybe give them a shot?

I'm also intrigued by the idea of lighting candles and listening to calming music - I might have to try that! Any specific recommendations for music?

Writing down your thoughts is a brilliant way to clear your mind—it's a simple yet effective method, and it's great that it works so well for you!

As for your easy bedtime stretches, they sound very calming and a wonderful way to relax your body. I, too, am a fan of yoga before bed as it helps me unwind.

I'd also recommend some meditation music or classical music which can be very soothing. YouTube has some great instrumental pieces or channels with nature sounds mixed with music. Soft candlelight adds a nice touch too, creating a cozy and relaxing ambiance.

If you're up for it, a hot bath with some essential oils can also help relax your muscles and calm your mind. A little self-massage with some minty or lavender oil is another lovely way to ease tension and prepare the body for rest.

I love the suggestions of meditation music and candlelight - very soothing And a hot bath with essential oils sounds heavenly. I might even try some minty oil for a little self-massage later; it sounds like a great way to ease tension.

The visual of soft candlelight creating a cozy ambiance is very appealing, too. I often forget how something so simple can make such a difference. It's a wonderful way to set the mood for a good night's rest and, as you say, helps with unwinding.

I'm glad we're on the same page with these nighttime habits! They're such easy yet effective ways to prepare the mind and body for sleep and definitely help with relaxing.

So happy to hear you're onboard with these cozy, calming nighttime habits - they really are simple yet impactful. Enjoy your minty massage & candlelit evening!

I'm loving this thread - each idea shared is helping me create a more mindful and relaxing nighttime routine. Bring on the calm!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
That's wonderful to hear! Threads like these are a great way to gather new ideas and inspiration for creating a soothing bedtime routine. There's so much power in sharing our experiences and insights - it's an awesome way to collective wisdom. Let's keep the ideas flowing and bring on that calm we all crave!

I totally agree, there's something so lovely about sharing our evening rituals and gathering inspiration from one another - especially as it's such a great way to decompress after a long day and set a peaceful tone for the evening. It's an easy way to collectively create a little sanctuary of calming habits! Bring on the zen!

The_Ideal_Bedtime_Routine_infographic-791x1024.png

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu