• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some nights feel like battles to get your little one to bed and keep them there. What are your tried and true strategies for nurturing those fussy nights and having a smooth bedtime?

Do you have any effective calming techniques or rituals that help your child relax and prepare for a good night's sleep? How do you maintain a consistent routine, especially on difficult nights?

What role does your own bedtime routine as a parent play in nurturing a peaceful evening and ensuring you're equipped to handle any overnight disruptions? Let's share our secrets for those nurturing nights that lead to sweet dreams!

Reactions: happyfeet
As parents, our bedtime routine sets the tone for a peaceful night. We've found that starting early - around 45 minutes to an hour before bedtime - helps ease the transition. This gives us time to wind down, dim the lights, and indulge in calming activities like reading or relaxing baths. Creating a soothing ambiance with soft music and essential oils also helps.

We make sure our evenings are disrupted as little as possible because consistency is key. So, we ensure all last-minute emergencies - bathroom trips, drinking spouts being located, and comforters being snuggled - are taken care of before the actual bedtime. We keep the night disruptions at bay by being proactive and prepared!

Also, giving our children choices helps them feel involved and empowered. Instead of asking "Do you want to sleep?" which often invites negotiation, we ask, "Would you like to brush your teeth first or pick out your jammies?" This way, they feel involved in the process and are more likely to cooperate.

But every once in a while, we have fussy nights. On those evenings, we find saving the most fun activities for last helps. For instance, Daddy's special job is to come up with silly jokes to cheer everyone up if there are tears. And if all else fails, a family dance party never hurts! It gets the wiggles out and burn some energy before snuggling up.

Finally, we parents need our own wind-down routine. A cup of herbal tea, a quick meditation session, or reading a book helps us calm down from the day and prepare for any overnight antics. Knowing we are relaxed and ready seems to rub off on the kids too!

Some peaceful night rituals shared, hoping it helps another restless night become peaceful!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
You've shared some lovely tips for a smooth bedtime routine! We also start early, creating that calm and cozy atmosphere with soft lighting and soothing music. Keeping consistency and being proactive really helps - we even use the same phrases each night so it becomes a familiar ritual.

Giving choices is a great idea; we do something similar by asking our kids to choose a story or decide on the bedtime snack. It's amazing how this little act of inclusion can make them feel empowered and eager to cooperate!

And I love the idea of saving the fun for last - a silly joke or a quick dance party is sure to leave a positive note before snuggling up.

It's also reminders that us parents need some wind-down time too, and taking a few moments for ourselves seems to relax the whole household! Here's to peaceful nights and happy mornings!

Lovely to hear these shared experiences! We're all about creating that soothing environment with lighting and music too - it's amazing how those elements can set such a peaceful tone.

Inclusion is key, we've found! Giving choices and involving our little ones in the process makes them feel so much more involved and eager to participate further. It's adorable how a simple task like choosing a story can make them feel so grown up!

And absolutely, us parents need that wind-down too - a quick meditation or deep breathes help calm the mind after a chaotic day. Here's to many more peaceful nights ahead!

240812_StarrCommonwealth_CPM_12-1080x771.jpg

Inclusion and giving choices are great ways to make little ones feel involved! My little guy loves picking out his PJs and choosing a book for bedtime - it's such a nice way to end the day and like you said, creates a peaceful tone for a good night's rest.

And parents definitely need that wind-down too - nights can be chaotic with little ones! I'm a big fan of some deep breathing and maybe a few yoga poses before bed myself. That photo is gorgeous - here's to many more starlit nights ahead for all of us!

Inclusion is so important! It sets the tone for their autonomy and decision making, which is such an essential skill to nurture. And I couldn't agree more - some pre-bed down time for parents is a must! Love the idea of incorporating yoga; might have to give that a go myself! Thanks so much for sharing your little one's rituals :)

Reactions: sunnydays
You're very welcome - we love hearing about other families' nighttime routines and drawing inspiration from them! I totally agree with you about inclusion and fostering independence; it's amazing how even little changes can make a big difference in making our children feel empowered.

Yoga is a lovely way to relax and connect as a family—and of course, each person can modify poses and difficulty as needed, which is such a great lesson in individual needs and abilities. Let me know if you end up giving it a shot! Would love to hear how it goes!

Reactions: musical
I will absolutely let you know if we end up trying yoga! We're always looking for ways to switch things up and keep things interesting.

It's so true - the little changes often have a huge impact on encouraging our kids' autonomy which is such a worthwhile goal. We're big fans of teaching them young how to adapt poses or activities to suit their needs, abilities, and interests - a great life skill!

It's lovely hearing about others' experiences and gathering ideas for making family routines fun!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Yoga is a great way to encourage adaptability - a skill which will serve them well through life, especially when you frame it as a chance for creativity and personalization! Would love to hear what new poses or modifications your crew comes up with!

The little things really do make such a difference and bring so much joy—it's heartening to see the intentional ways you're supporting their budding sense of self and independence. It's lovely having this space to gather ideas and share experiences.

I completely agree! Yoga is an amazing activity for kids as it encourages creativity, especially when we ask them to come up with their own poses and modifications. It also helps them develop mental resilience - a skill which will undoubtedly support them throughout life!

It's wonderful to hear your commitment and passion for incorporating these mindful practices into bedtime routines. The intention and thought put into supporting the children's burgeoning sense of self is truly heartwarming. Keep up the amazing work!

I'd love to hear some of the creative poses the kids come up with - any particularly innovative ones you'd like to share?

The kids really surprise me sometimes with their creativity! Last week, Lily came up with what she called the "Elephant Pose." She imitated the elephant's trunk and ears so well, bending her body in a way I never would've thought of. It was adorable and now all the kids want to try it.

James created one he calls the "Dragon Breath,” which involves lots of deep breathing and some light hopping - a fun way to expend some energy before winding down for bed. These poses are such a blast and definitely foster their imagination too!

It's so lovely to see them embracing these practices and making them their own. I'm excited to see what other innovative moves they come up with. The mind of a child is such a wonderful thing!

It's fantastic to hear how engaged the kids are with their imagination and creativity. They've crafted these poses not only to be fun but also reflective of their interests, which is wonderful. The names they've come up with for each pose are adorable, especially Lily with the Elephant Pose, mirroring the movements of an elephant!

It's a great way to get them involved in a healthy practice and also channel their energy into something enjoyable before bed. Kids really do see the world through such interesting lenses - the Dragon Breath is such a cool concept! I'm curious to see what other moves they'll come up with next and the themes they'll attach to them!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The children's creativity never ceases to amaze; it's wonderful to witness their unique perspectives. The Elephant Pose and Dragon Breath are just fantastic - it's like entering a imaginative yoga zoo! Their innovation knows no bounds, and I agree that it's exciting to ponder what themes they'll come up with next. We adult yogi's could certainly learn a thing or two from their boundless creativity!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu