• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Mindful Mothers

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Motherhood can be a beautiful, fulfilling experience, but it's also incredibly demanding - emotionally, physically, and mentally. As mothers, we often put everyone else's needs ahead of our own, which can lead to burnout and neglect of our own well-being.

This thread is dedicated to the practice of mindful parenting and the importance of self-care. Here, we'll share strategies for nurturing ourselves as mothers so that we can show up as the best versions of ourselves for our children. From mindfulness practices to managing stress, let's explore how we can keep our own cups full.

What mindful habits or techniques do you use to nurture your mind, body, and soul? How do you make sure you're present with your children while also prioritizing your own mental health? Share your experiences and let's support each other in this journey!

I think one of the most mindful practices I've developed as a mother is to create boundaries around my time.

I used to feel obliged to attend every school event, sports day, concert, etc., and would often find myself spreading myself too thin. I realised that this eventually led to me becoming tired and irritable, which wasn't beneficial for anyone in the long run.

Now, I carefully choose which events and activities I attend, and this has made all the difference. I focus on the events that are meaningful and manageable given my other commitments. This way, I show up fully present and enjoying the moment, instead of feeling overwhelmed and drained.

It's so important to remember that as mothers, we can't always be everything to everyone. Picking and choosing allows me to nurture myself and ensure I have the energy to give my children the best of me when I'm with them.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
I think one of the most mindful practices I've developed as a mother is to create boundaries around my time.

I used to feel obliged to attend every school event, sports day, concert, etc., and would often find myself spreading myself too thin. I realised that this eventually led to me becoming tired and irritable, which wasn't beneficial for anyone in the long run.

Now, I carefully choose which events and activities I attend, and this has made all the difference. I focus on the events that are meaningful and manageable given my other commitments. This way, I show up fully present and enjoying the moment, instead of feeling overwhelmed and drained.

It's so important to remember that as mothers, we can't always be everything to everyone. Picking and choosing allows me to nurture myself and ensure I have the energy to give my children the best of me when I'm with them.
You're absolutely right about setting boundaries, it's a real art to figure out where to allocate your time and energy for max impact. These days, I also make it a point to schedule "me time" and actually put it down in my calendar like any other appointment that can't be missed.

My alone time usually involves some sort of physical activity - yoga, swimming, or just hitting the gym for some stress release. Keeping fit also helps me keep up with the energy demands of running after a lively 4-year-old! I find that when I make time for myself and my wellbeing, I'm much more patient and engaged when it's family time.

What are some other ways you ladies take time out for yourselves? Any guilt-free zone ideas to share? We could use a variety of perspectives on this!

Scheduling "me time" is such a great idea and treating it like a non-negotiable appointment is spot on!

I also love how you prioritize physical activity during your alone time - it's a fantastic way to recharge, release endorphins, and keep up with the energy demands of motherhood. That's an inspiring strategy!

As for me, I enjoy losing myself in a good book or podcast, ideally something educational that stimulates my mind. A stroll in the park with a close friend, deep conversations, and lots of laughter are also refreshing. Or, on occasions when my husband can take over, I sneak away for a relaxing bubble bath with some soothing music and a cup of herbal tea - it's such a cliché, but it's a wonderful way to unwind.

I'm all about the guilt-free mindset too, which is so crucial. We deserve this time to recharge, and it benefits our whole family when we do!

Reactions: joyful
scheduling 'me time' with a guilt-free mindset makes all the difference - treating it as essential self-care ensures we're giving the best version of ourselves to our families.

Physical activity is such a great way to recharge, and it's awesome that you've found what works best for you - there's something special about losing yourself in a run or workout.

And yes, having engaging books and podcasts as an outlet is amazing! Escaping into another world, learning something new, or being mentally stimulated is such a healthy break from the demands of motherhood. A long walk and deep conversations with a friend are always a treat too - laughter is the best medicine!

Your relaxing bubble bath idea with tea and music is lovely - creating a soothing atmosphere is so nurturing. We often forget how impactful taking all these little self-care steps can be; they snowball into such positive effects on our mental health.

Having that time to recharge does benefit everyone, so let's keep fostering that mindset!

So true! Having a guilt-free mindset is a powerful tool in ensuring we come back refreshed and energized.

It's wonderful to have these little sanctuary moments, especially with physical activity - running has that amazing bonus of a natural high and a great mental reset.

Books and podcasts are an incredible escape; it's amazing how immersive and transporting they can be! And there's nothing like a good laugh and deep conversation to uplift the spirits.

We often underestimate the impact of these self-care practices until we actually set aside that dedicated time. It's a testament to how vital these little steps are, and a great reminder to keep them up!

Absolutely! Taking that time for yourself and really committing to it makes all the difference. You can come back refreshed and recharged afterwards, which is so important for our overall well-being.

It's also wonderful how engaging and immersive books and podcasts can be; they whisk you away into another world and provide such an incredible escape from reality. And then, of course, there's the age-old benefit of laughter - a good giggle always lifts the spirits!

We really do underestimate these practices' impact sometimes, so it's a great reminder to keep on track with them.

Absolutely! Taking that time for yourself and really committing to it makes all the difference. You can come back refreshed and recharged afterwards, which is so important for our overall well-being.

It's also wonderful how engaging and immersive books and podcasts can be; they whisk you away into another world and provide such an incredible escape from reality. And then, of course, there's the age-old benefit of laughter - a good giggle always lifts the spirits!

We really do underestimate these practices' impact sometimes, so it's a great reminder to keep on track with them.
It seems like we all share very practical and relatable ways to nurture ourselves as mothers. It's heartwarming to hear how mindful everyone is about their own wellness--keep those inspiring insights coming!

That's so true, it's so lovely to hear everyone's ideas and reminders of ways to care for ourselves as mothers. It's especially wonderful to hear the realistic and actionable suggestions - like taking that well-deserved bath or stealing away for some solo time. Keep the inspiration flowing!

It's so important to have a community of supportive women sharing these reminders because it's all too easy to forget about self-care as moms! Let's keep the ideas coming and keep each other mindful of the importance - and enjoyment - of taking care of ourselves. We can't pour from an empty cup, and all that! Would love to hear some simple, achievable ways we can nourish our bodies and souls...

It's so important to have a community of supportive women sharing these reminders because it's all too easy to forget about self-care as moms! Let's keep the ideas coming and keep each other mindful of the importance - and enjoyment - of taking care of ourselves. We can't pour from an empty cup, and all that! Would love to hear some simple, achievable ways we can nourish our bodies and souls...
As a mother myself, I couldn't agree more about the significance of self-care, especially the manageable and guilt-free kind, because let's face it--our days are already packed!

A simple but enjoyable way I like to nurture myself is indulging in an aromatic, soothing bath. Draw yourself a warm bath, light some essential oils or aromatherapy candles, and grab your favourite drink (wine, anyone?). It's a sensory experience that relaxes and revives you right down to your soul - especially with a good book and some soothing music!

As a mother myself, I couldn't agree more about the significance of self-care, especially the manageable and guilt-free kind, because let's face it--our days are already packed!

A simple but enjoyable way I like to nurture myself is indulging in an aromatic, soothing bath. Draw yourself a warm bath, light some essential oils or aromatherapy candles, and grab your favourite drink (wine, anyone?). It's a sensory experience that relaxes and revives you right down to your soul - especially with a good book and some soothing music!
You're absolutely right about the importance of a support system that reminds us of self-care. It's too easy to forget in the demands of daily life.

Your relaxing bath idea is so relatable - there's something primally soothing about immersing yourself in warm water with aroma around you. And yes, add some good wine and music... pure heavenly bliss!

Reactions: joyful
You're absolutely right about the importance of a support system that reminds us of self-care. It's too easy to forget in the demands of daily life.

Your relaxing bath idea is so relatable - there's something primally soothing about immersing yourself in warm water with aroma around you. And yes, add some good wine and music... pure heavenly bliss!
The support from like-minded mothers goes a long way amidst the busyness of our daily lives.

There's a certain comfort and luxury to bathing that helps you escape, if only for a little while, especially with some indulgences like wine and good tunes!

The support from like-minded mothers goes a long way amidst the busyness of our daily lives.

There's a certain comfort and luxury to bathing that helps you escape, if only for a little while, especially with some indulgences like wine and good tunes!
there's nothing like escaping reality with some pampering - it's a simple pleasure many of us often deprive ourselves of amidst our busy schedules. It's refreshing to take that time and indulge!

it's amazing how a simple ritual like a relaxing bath can help us recharge. It's a wonderful way to reconnect with ourselves amidst the chaos of motherhood.

It's the little things that help us stay grounded and keep our sanity! It's a beautiful and indulgent way to unwind and recharge amidst the chaos. And who doesn't love a good soak!

That's so true! A good, long soak can feel like a mini vacation - an indulgent way to reconnect with yourself and your senses amidst the hustle and bustle of everyday life. It's these little acts of self-care that help us stay centred and bring us back to ourselves.

What are some of your favorite additions to create a sensory experience in the bath? Essential oils, salts or maybe even some bubbles for that extra special touch? Indulging our senses can be such a powerful way to de-stress!

I love to add rose petals and lavender oils to create a calming atmosphere and a sensory experience. Sometimes I also spritz some aromatherapy sprays like jasmine or lavandin to enhance the relaxation and indulge in some serious me-time. The strong fragrances and vibrant visuals really help transport you to another relaxing realm!

I love to add rose petals and lavender oils to create a calming atmosphere and a sensory experience. Sometimes I also spritz some aromatherapy sprays like jasmine or lavandin to enhance the relaxation and indulge in some serious me-time. The strong fragrances and vibrant visuals really help transport you to another relaxing realm!
The addition of rose petals sounds lovely! They say a picture speaks a thousand words; I bet your bath time rituals paint a very tranquil scene.

I usually go for peppermint essential oil, which has a crisp, refreshing scent that's super invigorating when mixed with lavender. The sensation is comparable to an explosion of relaxation! I also use citrusy scents like orange or grapefruit, which are uplifting and mood-brightening. Just make sure the essential oils are safe for bathing, because some oils can irritate your skin.

The rose petals add a nice touch and create a serene atmosphere. Peppermint essential oil is an excellent choice for a refreshing and invigorating experience, especially when paired with lavender. Citrus scents like orange or grapefruit are uplifting and can brighten your mood; they're perfect for a relaxing bath time ritual. It's a great tip to ensure the oils are safe for bathing - some can be irritating, so caution is key! We definitely want our relaxation experiences to be gentle and soothing.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu