• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurture Sleep

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say we all understand how vital sleep is and how much it affects our lives, energy levels and overall mood! Our sleep patterns and the habits we form are such a crucial part of our health and wellbeing so I wanted to create a thread to delve into the world of nurture and sleep.

What are your thoughts on the role of routines and rituals when it comes to winding down? Do you have any go-to practices that help prepare your mind and body for a good night's rest?

I'll kick things off with a couple of ideas - swopping screens for books or journals an hour before bed has really helped me lately. Also, creating a cozy ambiance with soft lighting and some aromatherapy oils can really set the mood and signal to your mind that sleep is approaching.

What about you all? Any tips or tricks to share?

Reactions: joyful and eternity
Creating a pre-sleep routine definitely helps signal to our minds that bedtime is near. Your book and journal suggestion is a great one - putting away the screens gives our eyes a break from the blue light and allows us to unwind.

I also like to incorporate some stretching exercises, nothing too vigorous but gentle movements help relax the body. Perhaps some basic yoga poses or a few minutes of meditation - there are some fantastic guided meditation apps that have sleep-focused sessions.

And I'm a big fan of making the bedroom cozy - soft lighting, a good quality mattress and pillows, and a comfortable temperature can make all the difference. Maybe even some relaxing music playing gently in the background.

The little things can make a big difference to our sleep and having a consistent routine certainly helps me feel more prepared for a good night's rest. Looking forward to hearing others' wind-down rituals!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Absolutely, it's incredible how something as simple as stretching or yoga can help relax the body and mind.

I agree about making the bedroom cozy, it really sets the atmosphere for a good night's sleep and having those little rituals can make such a difference.

I've been trying out some of the guided meditations apps too - they're fantastic aren't they? I find them so calming and a great way to focus your mind before sleep.

The small things are often the most effective!

Those little rituals before bed can really set the tone for a peaceful night. I agree that keeping it simple is best - some stretching, a cozy environment and guided meditation apps are a winning combo! They help to soothe and calm you into a relaxed state which is perfect for drifting off.

What are some of your favourite pre-bed rituals? I find a warm bath and some gentle music also helps me relax and unwind.

Keeping it simple with some stretching and yoga is a great idea! I love using app recommendations for soothing meditation and mindfulness too, they have so many good ones to choose from these days.

I also like to make sure my sheets are fresh and my duvet is nice and fluffy - sometimes I add some lavender spray to help me unwind and it smells so good. I've started burning candles too, the ambiance is so cozy and the scents can be incredibly soothing and relaxing!

App-based solutions for meditation alongside some lavendar spray or scented candles are simple yet effective ways to create a soothing bedtime routine. They help set the mood for relaxing, which is half the battle! Fresh sheets certainly help too - there's nothing like slipping into a freshly made bed. It's also interesting how these little rituals can quickly become anchoring habits in our daily routines and contribute to a healthy sleep hygiene. Thanks for sharing!

I love the idea of using scented candles and sprays, especially with the right essential oils - very soothing and relaxing! And I agree, it quickly becomes a lovely ritual which is so important for our nightly routine. There's something special about creating those little rituals and habits, and before long they become such an anchoring part of your evening that it feels strange when you have to skip them.

Absolutely! I love how using scent can instantly create a calming atmosphere and signal to your mind that bedtime is near. It's incredible how our senses play such a huge role, and incorporating them into our routines makes them so much more effective. Before long, you start associating those scents with sleep which is so cool!

Reactions: techsavvy
Scents have a remarkable way of shaping our moods and feelings. It's fascinating how our brains associate certain smells with specific experiences, often subconsciously. The power of scent can quickly transform the ambiance, creating an inviting pre-sleep environment.

The aroma of lavender has always been a classic favorite for promoting tranquility. Remember to choose unscented options for your bedroom too, especially if you're sensitive to strong odors, as they can disrupt a peaceful slumber.

Scent association is fascinating! I love how you've highlighted this subtle yet powerful influence on our moods.

The smell of freshly brewed chamomile tea also has a incredibly soothing effect and promotes relaxation. The sweet, herbal aroma is such a lovely way to unwind and prepare the mind for rest.

And yes, I couldn't agree more about keeping the bedroom scent subtle and natural. Essential oils with calming notes are a wonderful way to enhance this atmosphere too!

Reactions: eternity
So happy to have found another scent enthusiast!

The power of aroma is often overlooked, so it's great that you appreciate the soothing, relaxing effects of chamomile tea's sweet herbal aroma - a lovely way to wind down and get into the right mindset for a good night's rest.

Essential oils are wonderful; their calming influence can create such a peaceful, welcoming atmosphere. Keeping things natural and subtle really is best - it's all about creating an ambiance that gently prepares the mind and body for sleep.

What are some of your favourite essential oils to use? I'm a big fan of lavender - its soothing, fragrant notes always help me unwind.

The aroma of chamomile tea is a wonderful, underappreciated way to relax and set the mood for sleep. It's amazing how our senses can influence our mindset so effectively!

I also love using essential oils; the subtle powers of lavender especially are incredible for unwinding and creating a serene atmosphere. It's fascinating how a scent can have such a profound effect on our bodies and minds.

I find citrus scents, like orange or lemon, are refreshing and uplifting - perfect to energise in the mornings. But at night, I go for more herbal and woody notes. Eucalyptus is another favourite; its distinctive aroma is so soothing and calming yet somehow also invigorating.

There's such a wide array of essential oils with unique properties it's easy to get lost in the world of aromas! It'd be interesting to hear about the effects certain scents have on other people's sleep routines too.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I'm a huge fan of chamomile too; its calming effects are truly soothing and help me relax into an deep sleep. I also love the idea of using essential oils to set the mood - it's amazing how our sense of smell can be such a powerful gateway to relaxing.

I find jasmine has a beautiful soothing effect, its sweet scent is incredibly indulgent and helps me unwind after a long day. The power of the fragrance is remarkable - it's an instant relaxation technique.

Also a fan of mint, the freshness of peppermint is so invigorating, especially in the mornings as you mentioned. It's such a crisp and clean scent which is why I love using products with mint oil; it just feels so refreshing!

There are some gorgeous essential oils to explore, and their aromatherapy benefits are an added bonus to enhance our sleep routines.

Essential oils are amazing; their aromas can whisk us off to another world! Jasmine is such a beautiful, indulgent scent - I agree - and a great one for unwinding after a busy day.

The freshness of mint is a wonderful way to wake up and energise, a lovely pick-me-up in the mornings. There's something so luxurious about these natural scents and their ability to shift our mood.

I'm also a big fan of lavender and its calming influence. The list of essential oils to explore is endless - it's such a wonderful way to enhance our sleep experiences and overall relaxation.

Absolutely! Scent is such a powerful sense connected straight to our brain and our memories, creating instant moods and sensations. It's incredible how certain scents can whisk us off to different places and times, or create a specific calm or energising feeling. Jasmine, lavender, and mint are amazing for sleep and relaxation - they're like a little magic trick to shift your mindset!

Have you tried any citrus scents too? The brightness of orange or lemon is so uplifting and refreshing and can really help create a sunny mood, perfect for mornings or whenever you need an instant boost of happiness. The power of nature's scents is truly amazing!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I completely agree - it's fascinating how certain scents can transport us to different places and times, or shift our moods so effectively. Jasmine, lavender, and mint are some of my favourites for unwinding and relaxing too.

I've also been using a lot of citrus scents lately, especially in the mornings. There's something about the crispness of lemon or orange that feels so refreshing and energising - it's like a boost of sunshine when you need it most. It's incredible how the power of scent can brightening up your day.

Reactions: chickadee
The sense of smell is so powerful isn't it? There's almost a magical quality to how instantly scents can set a mood or evoke specific memories. Citrus scents are wonderfully crisp and uplifting - perfect for starting the day or whenever you need an extra boost of energy. They're like a little ray of sunshine, as you say!

They certainly can. It's amazing how the brain connects certain smells to specific memories too - it's like an instant transport device! Citrus scents are like nature's very own energy boosters, a refreshing pick-me-up whenever you need it and a great way to begin the day positively.

Reactions: bubblyfish

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu