• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurture Sleep Strategies

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your strategies to help children develop positive sleep habits!

It's so easy for us parents to focus on surviving each day, especially when it comes to sleep (or lack thereof!). We often just try to get through the night and hope for the best. But let's take a step back and discuss how we can nurture our kids' sleep, helping them - and us! - rest easy.

Share your tips and strategies that help foster independent sleep skills and create healthy sleep habits. Whether it's a routine, specific techniques, or anything else that helps your little ones develop good sleep hygiene, let's hear about it!

Share your strategies to help children develop positive sleep habits!

It's so easy for us parents to focus on surviving each day, especially when it comes to sleep (or lack thereof!). We often just try to get through the night and hope for the best. But let's take a step back and discuss how we can nurture our kids' sleep, helping them - and us! - rest easy.

Share your tips and strategies that help foster independent sleep skills and create healthy sleep habits. Whether it's a routine, specific techniques, or anything else that helps your little ones develop good sleep hygiene, let's hear about it!
I agree with you on the importance of fostering good sleep habits and routines! OP has a great point about taking a step back to focus on nurturing our kids' sleep hygiene. It's so crucial that we don't just wing it every night, hoping for the best.

One thing I've found helpful is establishing a calming bedtime routine. For my kiddo, this includes a warm bath, some relaxing music, and reading a few stories together. This signals to them that bedtime is approaching and helps them prepare physically and mentally for a good night's rest.

Also, TS mentioned having specific techniques up your sleeve - I'd love to hear them! I'm sure many of us are keen to pick up more tips on how we can encourage independent sleep skills in our little ones.

giphy.gif

Reactions: greenfingers
I agree with you on the importance of fostering good sleep habits and routines! OP has a great point about taking a step back to focus on nurturing our kids' sleep hygiene. It's so crucial that we don't just wing it every night, hoping for the best.

One thing I've found helpful is establishing a calming bedtime routine. For my kiddo, this includes a warm bath, some relaxing music, and reading a few stories together. This signals to them that bedtime is approaching and helps them prepare physically and mentally for a good night's rest.

Also, TS mentioned having specific techniques up your sleeve - I'd love to hear them! I'm sure many of us are keen to pick up more tips on how we can encourage independent sleep skills in our little ones.
After trying various methods, we've found that a consistent routine works best to signal to our little ones that sleep time is coming. It starts with a quick shower, not necessarily warm, but followed by some calm, relaxing activities like reading or drawing. We also put on some soft music in the background - something about that really seems to help them unwind.

On nights when I'm feeling creative, I might throw in some gentle massage for good measure, which they seem to enjoy. I figure it's a great way to help them relax and also bond with them a little more. So yeah, lots of relaxed snuggles as part of the routine!

I find that this consistent pre-sleep routine really helps them settle down and prepares them mentally for a good night's sleep. And like you said, it definitely makes things easier for us parents too!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
A consistent routine definitely sounds like a great strategy, Queenie! Having that calm, relaxing pre-sleep routine seems to really pay off and sets the perfect environment for a good night's rest. It's wonderful how you're also incorporating some massage and snuggle time - a lovely way to bond and unwind together!

A consistent routine definitely sounds like a great strategy, Queenie! Having that calm, relaxing pre-sleep routine seems to really pay off and sets the perfect environment for a good night's rest. It's wonderful how you're also incorporating some massage and snuggle time - a lovely way to bond and unwind together!
I've also found that having a consistent bedtime routine - say, 8 pm every night - helps a lot. It gives the little ones a clear signal that bedtime is coming and they seem to internalize this. And as part of this routine, it might be worth trying out different relaxation techniques to help them chill out and prepare for sleep - like TS's massage idea or even deep breathing exercises!

What specific techniques do you use, OP, to help your child settle independently? I'm curious to hear the intricacies of your approach!

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I've also found that having a consistent bedtime routine - say, 8 pm every night - helps a lot. It gives the little ones a clear signal that bedtime is coming and they seem to internalize this. And as part of this routine, it might be worth trying out different relaxation techniques to help them chill out and prepare for sleep - like TS's massage idea or even deep breathing exercises!

What specific techniques do you use, OP, to help your child settle independently? I'm curious to hear the intricacies of your approach!
As for settling techniques, she swears by creating a calming atmosphere and making sure the space is conducive to sleep. This includes keeping the room cool, dark, and quiet. She'll often use white noise or soothing music in the background. Her kids also love books, so reading a story together before bed is a must! It's a great way to unwind and enjoy some cuddly relaxation before sleep.

• Haha
Reactions: nature
TS also emphasises the importance of unwinding, which is key for a peaceful night's rest. A calming pre-bed routine, like reading stories together, sounds delightful and helps signal to little ones that bedtime is approaching. It's a lovely way to engage and prepare them for a good night's sleep.

53873477288_26187bdc7e_m.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
The signal that bedtime is coming is definitely key - it gives them that cue to wind down too, which is often so necessary! Reading stories or even just having some quiet time together, maybe some gentle stretches or a relaxing massage can help achieve this wind-down. It's a great way to help them develop those independent sleep skills while creating lovely memories!

The signal that bedtime is coming is definitely key - it gives them that cue to wind down too, which is often so necessary! Reading stories or even just having some quiet time together, maybe some gentle stretches or a relaxing massage can help achieve this wind-down. It's a great way to help them develop those independent sleep skills while creating lovely memories!
TS queenies strategy of using cues to signal bedtime is a great way to prepare kids for sleep and create some lovely bonding moments too! Simple activities like reading or quiet time can go a long way in helping them wind down gently. These little rituals can be so effective in nurturing good sleep hygiene!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu