• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurture nocturnal routines

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several users shared their evening routines to improve sleep quality and overall wellness. The most common practices include avoiding screens and blue light an hour before bedtime, taking warm or cold showers, drinking herbal or chamomile tea, and engaging in light stretching or yoga. Users also prioritized winding down by settling work-related matters earlier and creating a relaxing environment through minimal lighting and comfortable bedding. Some found success with reading, skincare routines, baths, and deep breathing exercises, while others mentioned the importance of keeping things simple, such as turning off electronic devices. Overall, these nighttime rituals help users relax, detach from daily stressors, and prepare their minds and bodies for restful sleep, leading to improved daytime functions and well-being.

Night time and its impact on our sleep and overall health is often overlooked. Establishing a nurturing nighttime routine can significantly impact how we function and feel each day.

Share your evening rituals and habits that help you unwind, relax, and optimize your nightly rest. From bedtime yoga to herbal teas, let's explore the ways we can set ourselves up for restful nights.

What sets you up for a peaceful night's rest?

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Night time and its impact on our sleep and overall health is often overlooked. Establishing a nurturing nighttime routine can significantly impact how we function and feel each day.

Share your evening rituals and habits that help you unwind, relax, and optimize your nightly rest. From bedtime yoga to herbal teas, let's explore the ways we can set ourselves up for restful nights.

What sets you up for a peaceful night's rest?
I usually take a warm shower at night after dinner to relax my body and unwind. Then I'll drink some chamomile tea to chill and wind down further. Also make sure got no electronic devices around me, otherwise the blue light will disrupt my sleep.

I usually take a warm shower at night after dinner to relax my body and unwind. Then I'll drink some chamomile tea to chill and wind down further. Also make sure got no electronic devices around me, otherwise the blue light will disrupt my sleep.
Those are great habits! I do something similar too; it's amazing how a warm shower can really help relax the body and mind. I also like to avoid screens towards the end of the night - sometimes easier said than done!

I'm interested in learning more about everyone's nightly routines and their impact on our overall wellness. Do you guys have any other simple yet effective ways you like to nurture your nocturnal routine?

My evening rituals quite simple. I usually just take a warm bath, drink some herbal tea , and do some light stretching before bed. Also, minimal screen time helps a lot - no phone or computer an hour before sleeping. These all help me relax and fall asleep easier. Waking up feeling refreshed is the best!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Got it all right here, boss.

I make sure got no work or admin stuff to attend to before bed. That's the most disruptive to my rest man. So I make sure settle all that earlier in the day, or at least a few hours before turning in. Can't be winding down and then suddenly remember got pending stuff. ruins the whole vibe.

Also, no caffeine after 2pm. That's important so it doesn't mess with my sleep later on.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Got it all right here, boss.

I make sure got no work or admin stuff to attend to before bed. That's the most disruptive to my rest man. So I make sure settle all that earlier in the day, or at least a few hours before turning in. Can't be winding down and then suddenly remember got pending stuff. ruins the whole vibe.

Also, no caffeine after 2pm. That's important so it doesn't mess with my sleep later on.
Settling work stuff early is so important man. Can't agree more.

I also take a cold shower at night and slap on some moisturizer immediately after. The cold water kind of shocks my system into relaxation mode, plus the moisturizer gives me that extra cool, refreshing feel. Then I follow up with some light stretching or yoga - nothing too intense, just enough to ease any muscle soreness from the day.

Oh, and I make sure my bedroom is cool and dark. Really helps with the sleep, especially with the blinds drawn, haha.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Settling work stuff early is so important man. Can't agree more.

I also take a cold shower at night and slap on some moisturizer immediately after. The cold water kind of shocks my system into relaxation mode, plus the moisturizer gives me that extra cool, refreshing feel. Then I follow up with some light stretching or yoga - nothing too intense, just enough to ease any muscle soreness from the day.

Oh, and I make sure my bedroom is cool and dark. Really helps with the sleep, especially with the blinds drawn, haha.
Your nighttime routine sounds so relaxing!

I do something similar, but instead of a cold shower, I use a hot one. Something about being in hot water just takes the edge off and relaxes my muscles after a long day. Then I lather on the moisturizer too - the coldness from the lotion coupled with the warmth my body feels after the hot shower is such a nice contrast.

I also find that doing some light reading after all of the above helps me sleep. Nothing too exciting or action-packed, though - a short and simple story usually does the trick to calm me down and prepare me for bed.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
Your nighttime routine sounds so relaxing!

I do something similar, but instead of a cold shower, I use a hot one. Something about being in hot water just takes the edge off and relaxes my muscles after a long day. Then I lather on the moisturizer too - the coldness from the lotion coupled with the warmth my body feels after the hot shower is such a nice contrast.

I also find that doing some light reading after all of the above helps me sleep. Nothing too exciting or action-packed, though - a short and simple story usually does the trick to calm me down and prepare me for bed.
Mmm, that sounds like a lovely routine! I've never been much of a reader, but I can see how it'd be soothing to unwind with some light reading before bed.

I find that spending time to wind down is a must - helps so much with my sleep quality, and the next day's mood too!

I usually take a shower at night and make sure the water's not too hot. Then I'll spend some time to do my skincare routine - cleansing, toning, moisturizing - all that jazz. It helps me relax and it's become quite therapeutic for me. Also, I try to avoid looking at any screens an hour before I sleep. If I really need to, I'll put on blue light filters so the bright lights don't disrupt my sleep too much.

Some nights, I also enjoy a cup of chamomile tea and read a book. Just something comforting and light that helps me unwind and detach from the world. It's like creating a little bubble for myself where I can just relax and not think about anything too deeply. Works like a charm most nights!

Usually, I just splash my face with lukewarm water, brush my teeth, and scrub my face before I tuck myself in. Sometimes, if I'm especially exhausted from a long day, I'll hop straight into the shower to unwind. It's like pressing a big reset button - all the fatigue gets washed away under the warm water.

To relax, I might reach for an easy-breezy book or put on a feel-good show that doesn't require too much brainpower. Reading or watching something fun helps me disconnect from the day and chill before I close my eyes. You know, just something light-hearted to occupy my mind so that I'm not thinking about work or whatever else is pending. Keep things nice and simple!

Oh, and I try to avoid looking at any screens - laptop, phone, or TV - at least an hour leading up to bedtime. That way, when it's time for lights out, my eyes are less strained, and my mind can ease into a relaxed state. It does make a difference!

Yeah, pretty simple habits but they get the job done. What about you?

53886117357_f139f8c9a7_m.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
I usually take a warm bath and do some reading right before bed. It really helps me relax and forget about any stresses of the day. I also make sure my bedding is comfortable - cool sheets are a must! And of course, the room has to be completely dark. If I'm feeling particularly stressed, I might put on some relaxing music too.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
I usually take a warm bath, then drink a cup of chamomile tea while listening to some slow jams before I tuck myself in. Really helps me ease into slumberland and sets the mood for a good night's rest.

Sometimes, if I'm especially wired, I do some light stretching or yoga. Nothing too energetic, just enough to tire myself out. It's a great way to unwind after a long day!

51614146093_a52dc71c1d_m.jpg

For me, a hot shower before bed is a must! It's like a signal to my body that it's time to wind down and relax. Then I snuggle up with a good book and a cup of chamomile tea. The warmth and comfort of the drink just help me melt away any remaining stress.

I also make sure my phone is on silent and charge overnight so I'm not disturbed by notifications. It's such a peaceful way to end the day and prepare for a good night's sleep.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
I've noticed taking showers at night helps me loads too, especially when I'm feeling particularly restless or antsy. Something about starting my skincare routine after a shower just signals to my body that bedtime's approaching. Chamomile tea's great; I add a teaspoon of honey - a nice natural sweetener that also has health benefits!

I make sure my phone's on silent and out of sight once it's time to sleep so I'm not tempted to check it constantly. Instead of blue light filters, I use the Night Shift mode on my phone which gradually warms the display's lighting. Really helps in cutting down the blues that mess with your rest!

On days when I'm feeling especially wired, I do some deep breathing exercises or stretch a bit before bed. Nothing too intense - just enough to help me feel calm and relaxed.

Reactions: bookworm
My super simple wind-down routine is turning off my phone and putting it away an hour before bedtime. I use this time to read a physical book, which helps me relax and also tired out my eyes so that sleep comes easy.

I keep the lights dim during this time too. Sometimes, if I'm feeling up for it, I'll brew some chamomile tea to ease into sleep mode. Nothing too fancy or elaborate, but it works for me! Keep those tips coming, they're always helpful to have in our back pockets!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and bookworm

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu