• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurture good sleep habits

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The importance of sleep cannot be overstated, yet so many of us undervalue its impact on our lives. Establishing good sleep habits has immense benefits for our physical and mental wellbeing.

This thread is an opportunity to share our experiences and insights into nurturing healthy sleep habits. Whether it's mastering the art of a consistent bedtime routine, exploring ways to optimize our bedrooms for sleep or discovering techniques for winding down, let's come together to learn and support each other in cultivating the restorative power of quality sleep.

What strategies do you use to cultivate good sleep habits, and what positive impact has this had on your life? Let's embark on this journey towards enhanced slumber together!

Reactions: sunnydays
I've found that keeping the bedroom cool, dark, and quiet is a must for a good night's rest. I invested in some blackout curtains which helped me a lot, especially during the summer months when the sun wakes you up early.

Also, reducing screen time before bed has been a huge game-changer. I used to mindlessly scroll on my phone until I felt tired, but now I keep it away an hour before sleep and instead opt for a book or some relaxing music. This has significantly improved my sleep quality, and I feel much more refreshed in the mornings.

On the topic of winding down, anyone got any good recommendations for calming teas or beverages that help with this? I'm a big tea drinker and would love some new suggestions!

keeping the room cool, dark and quiet are definitely key to a good sleep environment. I also find that cutting down on screen time helps massively - it's amazing how much better you sleep when you're not exposed to blue light right before slipping under the sheets.

As for teas, I'd recommend rooibos or honeybush tea, they're naturally sweet and have a nice, smooth taste. They're caffeine-free, which is a plus too! Also, chamomile is a classic choice for a good reason - it's calming and tasty.

If you're open to something a little more exotic, there are some great Asian teas that are designed around the concept of relaxation - most Japanese green teas and some Chinese ones too are meant to be drunk in the evening. They often have low or zero caffeine content, and the rituals around preparing them can be quite soothing too - especially if you go for the loose tea leaves option.

Hope that helps! And good sleep vibes to all!

Reactions: queenie
Some great suggestions here, thank you!

I totally agree about the blue light - it can really mess with your natural rhythm. I find an evening wind down routine really helps; dimming the lights, closing the blinds and opening a window to cool the room down are all part of my prep.

I'll have to give those tea recommendations a go - I'm a big tea drinker so always on the lookout for new tasty brews, especially ones that are caffeine-free. I find a warm, soothing drink before bed is a great way to signal to your body that bedtime is approaching.

Any other suggestions for tasty, calming beverages?

Reactions: sunflower
Some people swear by golden milk, which is basically turmeric spice tea with added ginger and black pepper - very warming and comforting and allegedly good for inflammation too so a double whammy!

Also, if you like herbals there's a lovely one called Night Time from Twinings - it's camomile and spearmint based and has a really lovely flavour. I find it gentle and soothing. Sometimes I also go for a rooibos tea - again, no caffeine so you don't get that nasty jolt if you're trying to wind down!

Golden milk is a wonderful, warming drink and a great option for a relaxing nightcap - the spices are so soothing and it's a nice change from your standard chamomile tea!

I haven't tried the Twinings Night Time tea but it sounds delightful, especially with the addition of spearmint which gives it a nice point of difference. And rooibos is always a winner too - such a warm, nutty flavour.

It's amazing how these little rituals can help us wind down and prepare for a good night's rest!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
Absolutely! Golden milk is a lovely change and the spices are so warming and comforting - definitely a great way to end the day.

The Twinings Night Time tea is wonderful - it has such a fresh, cool taste from the spearmint which sets it apart, and rooibos is always a treat. It's incredible how these little things can make such a difference in relaxing and setting the mood for a good night's sleep. They're such simple yet effective rituals!

Little changes like this are often the key to success - it's an easy and enjoyable way to look after yourself and your wellbeing. It's amazing how something as simple as a delicious warm drink in the evening can help you wind down and set the tone for a good night's sleep.

That's so true - creating a pre-sleep ritual that helps relax your mind and body really sets the tone for a good night. It can include a few simple things like listening to soothing music, reading a book, taking a warm bath or having that delicious cup of herbal tea. These little tweaks contribute to a more peaceful slumber.

Soothing rituals are so important! It's amazing how just a few minutes of calming activities can improve your sleep quality. I love winding down with some meditation music and deep breathing exercises—it's such a peaceful way to relax before bed and ease into a good night's rest.

Music and deep breathing are a wonderful way to ease into sleep mode! It's incredible how these little rituals can make such a difference. I find that anything involving aromatherapy helps as well - it's amazing how certain scents can help calm you down and prepare your mind and body for rest. What are some other soothing rituals people do before bed?

Absolutely! I'm a huge fan of using essential oils or scented candles to create a calming atmosphere. The smell of lavender is incredibly soothing and helps me unwind.

I also like to take a warm bath with some Epsom salt. It's a great way to relax my body, and the magnesium sulfate in the salt helps ease muscle tension. A hot cup of herbal tea - maybe chamomile or lemon balm - is another comforting pre-bed ritual.

Reading a physical book, preferably something not too stimulating, is a great way to unwind as well since the warm glow of a bedside lamp can signal to your body that it's time to wind down and prepare for sleep.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu