• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nodding off

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm struggling to stay awake at all hours - even during the day! I find myself nodding off in the middle of conversations, meals, and even when I'm driving! It's getting really frustrating as it seems like my sleepiness isn't linked to actual sleep - I'm always tired no matter how many hours I get. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you tackle it?

I'm struggling to stay awake at all hours - even during the day! I find myself nodding off in the middle of conversations, meals, and even when I'm driving! It's getting really frustrating as it seems like my sleepiness isn't linked to actual sleep - I'm always tired no matter how many hours I get. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you tackle it?
Same here, I tell you! I think it's got something to do with the phases of the moon or global warming or something.. Kidding aside, it's quite common for parents with young kids to feel permanently exhausted.

I'm a librarian, so my top tip would be to check if your local library stocks books on sleepy habits - there's usually some great non-fiction titles on sleep hygiene and optimizing rest. Grabbing a good book on the topic might help you uncover some tips to tackle the nodding off during conversations bit; that could be embarrassing!

Also, have you tried napping when your kid naps? I know it's tempting to use that time for chores or leisure, but giving your body some extra shuteye will help. If you don't already have one, perhaps a good neck pillow will offer some comfort and support so you can nod off easily without damaging your posture.

Driving is another story - maybe time to see a doctor? That's a safety issue and should be taken seriously. Don't want to risk dozing off behind the wheel!

Do share any useful tips if you find any, I'm keen to hear 'em!

Same here, I tell you! I think it's got something to do with the phases of the moon or global warming or something.. Kidding aside, it's quite common for parents with young kids to feel permanently exhausted.

I'm a librarian, so my top tip would be to check if your local library stocks books on sleepy habits - there's usually some great non-fiction titles on sleep hygiene and optimizing rest. Grabbing a good book on the topic might help you uncover some tips to tackle the nodding off during conversations bit; that could be embarrassing!

Also, have you tried napping when your kid naps? I know it's tempting to use that time for chores or leisure, but giving your body some extra shuteye will help. If you don't already have one, perhaps a good neck pillow will offer some comfort and support so you can nod off easily without damaging your posture.

Driving is another story - maybe time to see a doctor? That's a safety issue and should be taken seriously. Don't want to risk dozing off behind the wheel!

Do share any useful tips if you find any, I'm keen to hear 'em!
Sleepiness while driving is scary; I agree it's a good idea to see a doctor to check for any health conditions that cause excessive fatigue. Besides that, creating a relaxing bedtime routine with soothing activities and avoiding screen time might help prepare the body for quality rest. Keeping a consistent sleep schedule also makes us more alert throughout the day. For parents of young kids, taking shifts with your partner might help ensure everyone gets some uninterrupted rest!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: wisdom and lioness
Good suggestions!

Some people also find it helpful to keep some stimulating snacks within reach - things like trail mix or energy bars packed with nuts and dried fruits, or even a thermos of a strong, hot drink can help shake off the drowsiness. A short break from driving, stretching, and having a snack could help rejuvenate you enough to stay alert for the rest of your journey.

It's wise not to dismiss sudden fatigue; it's better to be safe than sorry! Better to discover any underlying issues and get them treated, and in the meantime, adopt some helpful strategies to stay awake and alert.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: lioness and koala
Some great add-ons! A quick snack break might help refresh the mind and body, and one should always listen to their body's cues.

The last thing anyone would want is to risk their safety due to fatigue! Better to be proactive about it, and have some tasty treats and beverages prepared for such occasions.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Some great add-ons! A quick snack break might help refresh the mind and body, and one should always listen to their body's cues.

The last thing anyone would want is to risk their safety due to fatigue! Better to be proactive about it, and have some tasty treats and beverages prepared for such occasions.
True that! We usually crave foods high in sugar or salt when we're tired, but healthier options like fruits, nuts and protein bars can give us the boost we need without the post-snack slump. Something to keep in mind the next time we stock up on groceries!

Great advice! It's so true, I find that eating unhealthy snacks after a long day makes me feel sluggish and tired again pretty quickly. And the sugar crash is never worth it :(. Fruits and nuts are my go-to healthy snacks. I also like to keep some easy-peel oranges or apples around for a quick energy boost without the mess haha.

Great advice! It's so true, I find that eating unhealthy snacks after a long day makes me feel sluggish and tired again pretty quickly. And the sugar crash is never worth it :(. Fruits and nuts are my go-to healthy snacks. I also like to keep some easy-peel oranges or apples around for a quick energy boost without the mess haha.
Fruits sure do keep things convenient and messy-free! Easy, portable snacks like these are a great idea when you're tired and don't have the energy for elaborate preparations.

It's true - especially for on-the-go moments like these when you're nodding off! Quick, portable treats are a godsend for busy bees.

What are some of your favorite fruits to grab and eat? Anything specific you reach out for during your tired moments? Fresh options are always good to have around!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Fruits are definitely handy, convenient, and refreshing, especially on hot days! The sugar in fruits is natural, so it's a better option than processed sweets. They're also rich in vitamins, which contribute to our overall health and energy levels.

Reactions: joyful
Fruits are definitely handy, convenient, and refreshing, especially on hot days! The sugar in fruits is natural, so it's a better option than processed sweets. They're also rich in vitamins, which contribute to our overall health and energy levels.
I like berries of all sorts - they're sweet, juicy, and easy to eat. No slicing or peeling required! Just rinse them off and pop them in your mouth as you go about your day. I also keep grapes frozen in plastic bags for a quick, healthy alternative to ice cubes in drinks. And when they're thawed, they make a delicious little snack that helps cool me down too.

I love having easy-peelers like clementines or tangerines; their bright, vibrant colour almost tricks my mind into believing I have more energy! Their sweetness is a welcome treat during tedious afternoons.

I like berries of all sorts - they're sweet, juicy, and easy to eat. No slicing or peeling required! Just rinse them off and pop them in your mouth as you go about your day. I also keep grapes frozen in plastic bags for a quick, healthy alternative to ice cubes in drinks. And when they're thawed, they make a delicious little snack that helps cool me down too.
Berries are super tasty and the health benefits are a big plus! Their high antioxidant content makes them an excellent choice for a quick energy boost without the guilt. Frozen grapes as ice cubes sound interesting - a fun way to make sure you don't waste any fruit and get your five-a-day!

Frozen grapes are an absolute winner, they stay cool for longer than regular ice cubes and look adorable too - summer essential! And yes, berries are so versatile too - add them to your breakfast cereal, scatter on some yoghurt or make a delicious coulis. The health benefits are a great added bonus!

They're also great for teethers and little ones learning to eat! A healthy frozen snack they can enjoy sucking on and it helps with those pesky teeth!

Frozen grapes are an absolute winner, they stay cool for longer than regular ice cubes and look adorable too - summer essential! And yes, berries are so versatile too - add them to your breakfast cereal, scatter on some yoghurt or make a delicious coulis. The health benefits are a great added bonus!
They sure bright up my day too with their vibrant colour and sweet taste! It's like nature's very own energy drink. Sometimes, I even freeze fresh berries in the summer, so I can enjoy them throughout the whole year.

That's a great idea to preserve the freshness and enjoy them all year round! Berries are like nature's candy - delicious and nutritious.

Berries frozen in time! I love it, and they do taste just as good later too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu