• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nodding off

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Many people struggle to stay awake when feeling tired and recognize that it’s best to listen to their bodies and take a nap when possible. Napping is the preferred approach for some while others opt for caffeine or a quick boost of exercise to regain alertness. However, many also acknowledge that naps are not always feasible and resort to other measures.

To stay awake and alert, it's beneficial to eat healthy snacks regularly throughout the day to stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent sudden fatigue. High protein and low-sugar snacks are recommended for keeping energy levels stable, such as Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, peanut butter with veggies, fruits with natural sugar, and portioned servings of nuts.

Trail mix, including nuts, dried fruits, and chocolate pieces is a popular choice, and the sweetness and crunch satisfy cravings. Dried sour cherries or organic sour cherry balls, recommended by some, offer a tasty zing and sugar rush for an extra boost.

Additionally, it's agreed that having a variety of healthy snacks is key to avoiding monotony and keeping the body fueled through the day.

I have such a hard time staying awake when I'm tired! No matter where I am or what I'm doing, if I'm feeling tired then I just want to nap. My brain knows the benefits of sleep and seems hellbent on making sure I get some shut eye. It's not always appropriate though! Does anyone else struggle with this? How do you fight the fatigue and stay alert?

I find it incredibly difficult to fight sleep when my body wants it - especially when it's a deep, restorative tiredness . The best method I've found is to remove myself from the situation and take the nap! If I'm somewhere that this isn't possible, I'll excuse myself and do something invigorating like splash my face with cold water, or have a quick blast of intense exercise .

Caffeine helps me a lot too, but only if the nodding off is less about deep fatigue and more about general weariness.

I also find that eating regularly - and not skipping meals - keeps my blood sugar stable which helps prevent those moments of sudden, intense fatigue.

Sometimes it's best to just go with what your body wants and take a nap! I agree removing yourself is the best option if possible - sometimes I find places like libraries or quiet cafes are good for a quick power nap when out and about, and obviously napping at home is easiest.

I've found that caffeine helps me too, especially if I'm in a situation where I can't nap. I also carry snacks everywhere with me now - keeps the grumpies at bay and stops me from getting so tired!

Naps are life! Agreed on the quiet cafe/library front - somewhere you won't be disturbed is ideal for a quick power nap.

I find caffeine helps me stay alert too, although I'm always wary of having too much and then struggling to sleep later. And snacks are definitely a good idea - nothing worse than being hangry AND tired!

Caffeine is a great short-term solution but I agree, having too much can disrupt sleep patterns later. And yes, hunger certainly doesn't help with focusing and keeping energy levels up! Naps are definitely the way forward, especially with some healthy snacks to fuel your body.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Naps and snacks - a winning combination! Agreed, it's best not to rely too heavily on caffeine, though it can be a helpful boost occasionally. What sorts of healthy snacks do people find help keep them full yet alert? I often find myself hungry at my afternoon slump hours and am curious what foods might fuel me through that.

Reactions: musical
I've found high-protein, low sugar snacks work best for me to stay full and alert. Think Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, peanut butter with veggies or wholegrain crackers. I also like apple slices with almond butter - the protein and healthy fats help me feel satisfied and energized.

If I'm craving something sweet, I go for fruit with a good amount of natural sugar - like berries or grapes - which seems to help curb those cravings without sending me into a slump later.

What are some of your go-to healthy snacks that keep you full through the afternoon?

Great suggestions! I also like to portion out nuts like almonds and cashews into small servings - they're rich in protein and healthy fats which are so satisfying. I find the crunch of nuts especially helpful in keeping me alert too.

I'll also sometimes blend some peanut butter into my protein shakes, or have a small serving of trail mix with M&Ms .

It's good to have a variety of options so we don't get bored of our snacks!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
I totally agree - having different options at hand is such a great way to avoid snacking monotony! Love the addition of peanut butter to shakes, and who doesn't love some trail mix :) The sweetness of the M&Ms and the crunch are a great combo for a mid-afternoon pick me up.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Peanut butter is such a great, filling addition - it keeps me full for hours! Trail mix is also one of those snacks you can have a small amount of and feel satisfied, and it's so easy to toss together. I find having a sweet and crunchy option really helps curb any cravings too.

Trail mix is definitely a great choice for snacking - healthy fats, protein and fibre will definitely keep hunger at bay! I also like adding dried fruits to my trail mix - they're sweet so they satisfy cravings, plus they're chewy and crunchy which is satisfying too. A few small changes like these can really help keep you on track without feeling deprived!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Dried fruits are an amazing addition full of flavour to keep things interesting! I also find the crunch satisfaction keeps cravings away too - great tip!

What other things do you like to include in your trail mix? I tend to go for a mix of nuts, some dark chocolate pieces and a variety of seeds - pumpkin, sunflower etc. I'll have to try adding some dried fruit next time, maybe some cranberries or apricots!

Reactions: stargazer
I like adding some sour candies for a real flavor ****—something sweet and tangy to contrast all that savory goodness. A local health food store has these amazing organic sour cherry balls that just melt in your mouth. So good! And for some reason, they really help me stay awake too - the sugar rush is welcome on long hauls.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Sour candies are an excellent idea, and organic sour cherry balls sound amazing! That tanginess can really help energize the taste buds, and the sugar rush is a great bonus for long drives or late nights.

The right snacks can make all the difference - it's amazing how some treats can help keep you focused and energized. It's a great natural pick-me-up!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and joyful
Organic sour cherry balls are bound to put a spring in your step! The zing of sourness along with the natural sweetness is a wonderful combo to perk one right up. They're my go-to for long study sessions, and they're healthy too!
An excellent choice indeed!

• Love
Reactions: lioness and mamamia
They sound delicious and I could certainly use some studying snacks. Are these cherry balls a commercial product? Can't say I've seen them before but would love to try some!

They're not commercially produced, I'm afraid - my mum makes them every Christmas; they're a bit like a cross between a cake and a cookie. She rolls the dough into balls then flakes sea salt on top - they're best eaten straight from the oven! If you fancy giving them a go, here's the recipe:

**Cherry Balls**

100g butter, softened
100g sugar
1 egg yolk
250g plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
A generous pinch of salt

**For the Filling**

1 x 400g tin cherries in syrup
Around 25-30 whole almonds

Drain the cherries, keeping a couple of tablespoons of the juice. Set the cherries aside and reserve the juice for another use - it's great in cocktails!

Beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, then add the egg yolk along with a couple of drops of almond extract . Gradually stir in the flour, baking powder and salt.

Roll heaped teaspoons of the dough into balls and place on a lined baking tray, leaving plenty of room for spreading. Flatten each ball slightly and press an almond into the centre of each one.

Bake at 180°C/350°F/gas 4 for about 12 - 15 minutes, until golden brown. The centres should still be softish. Cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy!

cheery-balls-chips-zee-snacks-md-foods-rs-10.jpg

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu