• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The discussion centred around tips for staying awake when feeling tired and strategies to combat post-lunch lethargy. Drinking hot stimulating beverages like coffee or tea, cold water, stretching, and engaging in physical activities help combat fatigue. For situations where nodding off is inappropriate, having strong mints or chewable candies can help, and multiple alarms or a friend's nudge can prevent missing important events.

To avoid unexpected sleepiness, it's essential to maintain stable blood sugar levels and get enough exercise and good quality sleep. Avoiding naps, especially long ones, and creating a stimulating workspace with natural light and ventilation are also recommended.

Several users shared their go-to energising snacks. These included spicy snacks like chili peanuts and corn snacks, as well as savoury options such as carrot sticks with hummus or tzatziki for a healthy fat and protein hit. Meanwhile, others preferred sweet snacks like dried fruits, dark chocolate with nuts, fresh fruits, or smoothies for a natural energy boost. The thread emphasized the importance of stable blood sugar levels and introduced aromatherapy using essential oils as another technique to stay energized.

I fall asleep so easily nowadays, it's ridiculous. My head barely touches the pillow and I'm gone - but sometimes I don't want to sleep so easily! Does anyone have tips for staying awake a little longer when your body is tired or for waking up from an accidental nod off?

Reactions: luciana
When you're tired, try drinking something hot and stimulating like strong tea or coffee. If you're nodding off somewhere you can't sleep - say at your desk during a meeting - do some stretching exercises and drink cold water.

If you've accidentally nodded off somewhere inappropriate - like on public transport - an embarrassing experience once happened to me on the train, where I woke up missing my stop by several stations! It's really helpful to set multiple alarms or ask a friend to give you a nudge if possible. Carry around some strong mints or chewable candies too - having something flavourful and strong might help keep you awake and the act of eating will also keep your blood sugar stable, preventing sleep from creeping up on you unexpectedly.

For longer term solutions, ensure you're getting enough exercise, eat a well balanced diet to maintain good health and avoid overdoing it on caffeine which can sometimes disrupt your body's natural rhythm.

Great suggestions!

I agree that eating something flavourful and having ice cold water can help wake up the senses when feeling sleepy.

Having a hot, strong drink is so comforting and definitely helps me when I'm feeling drowsy. Some people may not tolerate caffeine well though, so decaf options are a good alternative.

Exercising and keeping active during the day is so important too, and often helps me feel tired enough to sleep at night.

Having stable blood sugar levels definitely helps - I find high glycaemic index foods make me sluggish, so keeping them to a minimum helps keep the energy levels stable throughout the afternoon.

It's also not a good idea to nap too much during the day - sometimes we convince ourselves a quick 20 minute nap will help us feel refreshed, but it often puts me in a groggy cycle where I want to nap all day!

Good points about the impact of napping and also the role of diet and exercise in regulating energy levels - agree that keeping active, and eating foods which keep blood sugar stable can really help to avoid that afternoon slump.

The GI effect is a good reminder - those rapid sugar spikes can cause a short term boost but often at the expense of an energy crash soon after.

Also agree on the drinks choices - often reach for a strong coffee when feeling flagging, but ice cold water and some spices/flavours can also be a great pick me up.

What other tricks do people use to avoid that post lunch lethargy?

Some more tips to combat post-lunch lethargy:

- Take a short, brisk walk after lunch. It can help digestion and give you a boost of energy.
- Open the blinds or sit near a sunny window - some natural light can help keep you alert and also make sure you're not missing any valuable daylight hours!
- Keep your workspace well ventilated; a stuffy room can encourage nodding off.
- Drink green tea, it's less harsh than coffee but still contains caffeine for a little pick me up.
- Have a go-to energising essential oil or perfume that you only use when you're feeling tired. The smell alone might be enough to perk you up!

Great tips! I'm a big fan of using essential oils - sometimes just the aroma is enough to wake up your senses without needing to rely on strong coffee or energy drinks.

I'd also suggest keeping some healthy snacks handy at your desk, something with natural sugars or a handful of nuts can help keep the mid-afternoon hunger and ensuing lethargy at bay.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Essential oils are a great idea - their refreshing scents can certainly help awaken the senses!

Having some healthy snacks to nibble on throughout the day is a fantastic tip too; keeping blood sugar levels stable will help keep energy levels stable as well. We don't want any sugar crashes!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Essential oils and some tasty, healthy snacks sound like excellent additions to the office! They are bound to freshen up the senses and keep energy levels stable throughout those afternoon slumps.

The scent of essential oils really can help to pep you up - it's amazing how aromatherapy can work wonders! Snacks are a great idea too, especially ones rich in omega 3, to really keep the brain focussed and energized.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Aromatherapy is incredible - and so are brain snacks! Essential oils have such a quick and effective way of influencing our moods; it's fascinating how scent can have such an impact on us.

What are some favourite snack recommendations that everyone reaches for to give themselves a natural energy boost? Would love to hear them as I'm always keen on new ideas!

Essential oils really are amazing!

I love reaching for citrus-based scents; they're so refreshing and instantly uplifting. Lemon, Orange, and Bergamot are my go-to aromas when I need an energy boost, and they're great for clearing the mind too.

As for snacks, dark chocolate with nuts is my usual go-to. The combo of a little caffeine hit from the cocoa, plus the healthy fats and protein in the nuts, is a winning formula for an energy boost that lasts. I also like having some fresh fruit - berries, grapes, or even sliced bananas with a drizzle of honey are delicious and healthy picks me up.

Sometimes I'll blend some frozen berries with almond milk, a banana, and a teaspoon of peanut butter for a tasty, creamy smoothie that keeps me full and energized.

Or, if I need something Savoury, I'll reach for some crackers with hummus or tzatziki for a healthy fat and protein hit.

What about you? Any snack time favourites to share?

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
I'm a big fan of spicy snacks - chili peanuts, wasabi peas, and those tasty little corn snacks that pack a serious punch are my go-to energy boosters. I find the heat stimulates my senses and clears my mind, plus they're super addictive which makes them great for a quick pick-me-up.

I also love dried fruits, especially apricots and mangoes - a natural sweetness that satisfies my sugar cravings without the usual slump afterwards.

For something savoury, I'll often reach for some Crisps or those tiny snack pots of humus with carrot sticks - handy and delicious!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana
Spicy is best! I especially love how snacks that pack a spicy punch are often also packed with flavor. They're moreish and I find myself reaching for these types of snacks when I need an extra boost too.

Dried fruits are amazing; I find them so satisfying and a great alternative to regular sweets. Nature's natural candy, as some would say!

Crisps and dip is always a win - especially the humble combo of carrot sticks and hummus. An all-round delicious and healthy snack selection!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Totally agree—spicy snacks are a vibe! And they pack such a flavour punch too; it's a great way to keep flavours exciting.

Nature's candy - dried fruits are so moreish, especially those little boxes of mixed fruits. So many tasty treats are naturally sweet without being overly so, and they're healthy too which is an added bonus.

Carrot sticks and hummus is a staple; it's refreshing and so crisp and creamy all at once—a delicious, satisfying combo!

Dried fruits are amazing; I love how they're sweet but not too sweet, and a great healthy snack option! They're nature's candy such a delicious, handy treat.

The carrot sticks and hummus combo sounds so refreshing - the crisp, creamy texture must be so satisfying. It's a nice change from the usual crispy snacks we see too. An added bonus is that these options are easily transportable for snacks on the go!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Yep, dried fruits are fantastic - nature's very own healthy snack! I find them so moreish, and they're a great energy boost too.

The carrot sticks and hummus combo is a personal favourite - the freshness of the carrots with the creamy dip is such a satisfying bite. It's a nice savory contrast to sweet dried fruits as well, and yes, so handy for snacking on the go.

Dried fruit and fresh carrots with a side of dip sounds like an awesome and healthy snack! That's a great way to keep your energy up without resorting to processed foods - might have to try that myself!

Healthy snacking is the key to not succumbing to sleep! The sugar crashes from processed snacks are what get many of us. Dried fruit is a great shout - and so easy to prepare yourself too.

Good tip about dried fruits - and making your own means you know exactly what's gone into them!

Healthy+Snacking-640w.png

Making your own snacks is such a great idea - you're right! Dried fruit is a fantastic healthy alternative when you're craving something sweet, and it's so handy for on-the-go too. Love the photo! It's inspiring me to get creative in the kitchen - might try making some dried banana chips this weekend :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu