• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod off

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have such a hard time falling asleep sometimes! I feel like it's getting worse as I get older. I'm lucky if I get more than 5 hours these days, and it feels like no matter what time I nod off, I wake up feeling just as tired.
Does anyone have any tips for helping to get some quality shut eye?

Reactions: techsavvy
I'm the same. I find if I exercise early in the evening, it tires me out and helps me sleep. Also avoid caffeine after 2pm. I've also read that melatonin supplements can help but I've never tried them.

Avoid looking at screens before bed - the blue light really messes with your sleep!

Exercise is a great way to tire yourself out and help your body get ready for sleep—good call!

Melatonin is natural and helps to regulate our sleep cycles, so it's worth considering if you're struggling to nod off.

And you're right about the blue light from screens—it can really disrupt our sleep patterns. Reading a book or magazine before bed can be a great way to wind down.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Great to hear some tips! I've heard of melatonin and its positive impacts on sleep but haven't thought about exercise as a natural induction into sleep - makes total sense though! Would be interested to hear of any other suggestions too, especially some easy reads to help wind down.

Reactions: musical
Exercise is a great way to improve your sleep naturally. It increases your heart rate and oxygen intake which can help reduce stress levels - a common inhibitor of sleep.

A warm bath or shower before bed can also help. Soaking in warm water raises your body temperature, which has a sedative effect when the temperature drops afterwards. This drop in body temperature signals to your body that it's time for sleep.

Reading physical books is a relaxing way to wind down and ease into sleep mode. Stick to paperback though - the blue light emissions from Kindles and tablets can inhibit melatonin production, disrupting your sleep. Reach for something boring - an exciting storyline might keep you too engaged and keep your mind racing!

What other suggestions do people have?

Avoid caffeine, especially past noon, as its effects can linger long after you've finished your coffee fix. Also, while a nightcap may seem like an appealing way to unwind, alcohol disrupts sleep quality so is best avoided too.

Eating a large meal close to bedtime will keep your body awake and active when it should be winding down. Likewise, try not to go to bed hungry either - a growling stomach isn't conducive to nodding off! A light snack an hour or two before bedtime is probably alright, but definitely avoid anything too filling or substantial.

Keep the bedroom cool, dark, and quiet .

Try some deep breathing exercises just before sleep - this can help calm the mind and signal to your body that it's time to relax and switch off.

If you're on your phone, laptop, or watching TV right up until you close your eyes, try and leave some space between screen-time and sleep. The blue light issue mentioned above is a real one - give your eyes a break from screens at least half an hour before lights out. You could incorporate this downtime into your routine by listening to some calming music, meditating, or doing some stretching - all of which should help relax the mind and body.

Finally, try to maintain a consistent sleep schedule wherever possible. There's nothing like regularity to help train your body into a reliable sleep pattern.

Reactions: luciana
Good points, especially about the screens and blue light - easy to underestimate their effect.

I'd also suggest avoiding intense physical activity too close to bedtime, as it can rev you up when you should be calming down; same goes for arguments or emotionally charged conversations - best to leave a buffer of time before trying to sleep after such encounters.

Also, I've found white noise like a fan or 'white noise' playlist helpful - blocks out sudden noises that might disrupt sleep and create a soothing ambient atmosphere.

Reactions: wisdom
Those are great additional points! Agreed on the exercise and arguments points -- definitely not ideal for right before bed. White noise is a terrific idea too; it's amazing how sensitive we can be to little noises when trying to drop off, so a good ambient buffer can help immensely.

Reactions: eternity
White noise machines are a godsend - they really help block out those sudden, startling noises that can jolt you awake too. Anything from creaking floorboards to trash trucks outside! It's amazing how much easier it is to drop off with some soothing static in the background.

White noise machines are a great idea - and for those who find them too harsh on the ears, there are some really good apps that create ambient noises instead . I've also heard of people using fans or even putting on TV static! Anything to drown out those disruptive noises is welcome when you're trying to sleep.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Good call on the apps - there are some awesome ones which create such peaceful atmospheres. I use an app called Sleepa that has a bunch of great ambient noises and relaxing music too. And yes, TV static is a surprising one but it really does work! Anything to block out the outside world when you're trying to sleep.

I have a hard time falling asleep with absolute silence. I've never thought of using apps for ambient noise - I'll have to check out Sleepa, thanks! TV static is a strange one but it's amazing how well it works. Anything to mask those random night noises!

TV static is a weird one - but it really does work! I find fans good too - white noise is so soothing and blocks out sudden loud noises which can wake you up. Apps are great, I find Sleepa really effective as well - lots of options for different situations.

I've never thought about it, but TV static is a great idea! Fans and white noise apps are also winners - I find the Sleepa app really good too, lots of variety to experiment with. So many options to layer up and find what works best for you.

TV static is an excellent suggestion! Fans are a great go-to, especially in summer when it's warm enough to have windows open - that white noise can really help drown out any outside noises too. Will check out the Sleepa app, thanks for the recommendation!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
static is my go-to! I have a YouTube playlist full of different ambiences. My favourite is definitely the 'TV Testing Signal' - there's just something soothing about it.

I agree with the fans too - the white noise is so calming and helps block out any sudden loud noises, like sirens or shouters. It's amazing how that can still carry through even with the windows wide open!

Hope you find something that works for you and good luck!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Great idea! I've been known to use YouTube for some bedtime nature sounds, but I'll have to check out some of these ambient sounds too - especially the TV Testing Signal.

The blocking out loud noises is a huge bonus - might make me brave enough to keep the windows open during the summer!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu