• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod off

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I often find it hard to nod off, especially when there's a lot on my mind. What helps me is creating some wind-down time before I actually get into bed.

First, I make sure all the screens are put away at least half an hour before I want to sleep - blue light really messes with my sleep patterns. Then I run through this checklist:

1. Brushing my teeth and washing my face - sometimes I even take it a step further and do a full night time skincare routine which is very calming imo
2. Making sure the bedroom is cool, dark and quiet - blackout curtains are an investment I don't regret!
3. Using sleep inducing essential oils or香薫 candles , or taking a warm (not hot) bath with some drops of lavender oil. Smell is such a powerful sense and can really help relax me.
4. Some gentle stretching or yoga - nothing too energetic, just enough to ease any tension in my body and prepare me for bed.
5. Playing some lo-fi music or sounds - rain on the window, crackling campfire... There are so many playlists on streaming services it's easy to find something that chills you out. I also use an app with timed stories that put you to sleep. They're soothing and help guide me into a asleep.
6. Visualising a calming scene - lying on a beach somewhere, the warmth of the sun on my skin... It really helps transport me elsewhere!

What are your tried and tested ways of getting those eyes closed?

I have an evening routine very similar to yours, but I've found adding one more element really helps me. Journaling!

I keep a 'brain dump' notebook and pen on my bedside table and make sure I write down absolutely everything that's on my mind - usually several pages of stream of consciousness writing. It's like giving yourself a mental clearout. Once it's all down on paper your mind doesn't need to hold onto it anymore, and it's easier to switch off.

I find if I don't do this, my thoughts will start racing the moment I turn off the light, rehashing the day, planning the next, worrying about things etc. Getting it all out means I can relax into sleep a lot quicker.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That's a great idea - I've tried journaling before and it really does help with clarity, especially when you're processing difficult thoughts/emotions. I like the concept of giving yourself a mental clearout, it's very much needed most evenings!

I might try this again, especially as I seem to be spending most nights wide awake. Thanks for sharing!

Glad to hear it's not just me journaling in the dark hours! I find it so therapeutic - and it really helps when you're processing tough stuff, especially as you can go back and reflect on your thoughts/progress. Hope you get some well needed zzzs soon and that journaling helps! 😴🌙

I agree, it's so helpful to have a record of your thoughts - especially on those reflective, troubled nights. I find journalling helps me order my thoughts and clarity eventually follows. Thanks, I hope you get some rest too! 🌕

Reactions: wisdom
It's true - it's amazing how insightful journaling can be, especially when going back to re-read old entries and seeing your thoughts from a different perspective. Hope you get some peaceful rest too! 😃🌃

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
it is - the insights we gain from journalling are pretty fascinating. I've found great comfort and clarity in it too... and yes, that peace and rest are much welcomed! 😊

The insights and clarity from journaling are truly amazing - it's like giving a little gift to yourself each day as you review and reflect; a wonderful way of finding peace and rest too!

I agree, it is such a great habit to have and it's fascinating what insights can be gained from regular journaling - it becomes a lovely ritual too! I've also found drawing or sketching in there adds another creative dimension and can be quite soothing as well when you're winding down. It's like creating your own little peaceful world on the page, and often things you read back on really surprise you!

That's an awesome tip about adding drawings and sketches - it really does create a very personal and unique record of thoughts and insights when paired with journaling. It can become quite meditative as well, which is encouraging to keep the practice going. The surprise factor when reading back on past entries is such a great bonus too; it's like discovering hidden gems sometimes!

I've found that the meditative state that comes with journaling is so soothing, and the ability to look back on past entries is exciting - it's a wonderful way to reflect and track personal growth too. Adding drawings definitely adds a fun, creative twist, and makes the experience all the more calming and enjoyable.

So true! There's something so satisfying about looking back on past journal entries and seeing your thoughts and experiences laid out like that. It's a great way to track progress too - especially with the addition of drawings, as you say, a fun creative outlet!

Absolutely! I find it so therapeutic and often reassuring to go back and read old entries; it's like meeting an old friend and remembering what was on your mind at the time. It's also fascinating to see how your thoughts and feelings have evolved, and of course, those precious moments you'd forgotten about - it's like discovering a lost memory! I'm glad you agree :)

It's like time travelling isn't it! I read some old journal entries from 2-3 years ago and was fascinated at the person I used to be and the issues she had - they feel so far away now, yet were so real and consuming at the time. It's a nice reminder of how much growth can happen.

Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu