• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I fall asleep at the drop of a hat these days! Not being able to nod off would drive me nuts - I feel for you guys.
What's your go-to method for getting sandy when you're wound up and can't relax?

My trick is a nice hot bath with epsom salt and lavender oil, then straight into bed. The magnesium in the salt really helps me relax and the lavender is soothing. I also put on some quiet classical or Celtic music - something instrumental that's calming. If my mind starts racing, I focus on the music and breathe deeply. It usually does the trick!

A relaxing bath is a great idea! I like the addition of the Epsom salt and lavender oil - I bet that's very soothing. I usually go for a hot shower and then use some aromatherapy sleep oils on my temples and neck. I also put on some chilled music and lower the lights. It's amazing how effective focused breathing is when you're lying there trying to calm your mind!

Epsom salt is a lifesaver! I find the scent of lavender relaxing too - it really helps me unwind. I should try aromatherapy oils, that sounds soothing especially for a sleep routine. Chilled music and dimmed lights always help too, creates the perfect atmosphere to wind down. Breathing exercises make such a difference, sometimes I overthink but focusing on each inhale and exhale really calms me down.

Lavender's great isn't it! I've also been experimenting with aromatherapy oils - recently got some chamomile which is supposed to be calming. Really interested in the breathing exercises too - sometimes I find counting helps, especially if I focus on each count. Definitely agree that creating a wind-down environment makes such a difference - I'm a big fan of candles and low lighting at night!

Yes, lavender is amazing - I've been using it for years to help me relax and its beautiful scent is so soothing. Chamomile's great too, with a lovely sweet aroma; I sometimes use chamomile tea as well as the oil - it's becoming my nighttime drink of choice!

I'm also a big believer in creating the right atmosphere - candles, dim lighting and of course some relaxing music can work wonders. I've found that if I focus on my breathing, deep breaths especially, then it really helps me to clear my mind. Counting is a good idea, I'll have to give that a go too!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Great to hear that lavender and chamomile work well for you - their scents are wonderful and soothing, perfect for creating a tranquil atmosphere. I couldn't agree more about creating the right ambiance; candles, soft lighting, and calming music can instantly set the tone for some me-time.

Focusing on your breath is an excellent way to ground yourself and quieten the mind - it's amazing how powerful taking those deep, conscious breaths can be. Counting sheep or focusing on each inhalation and exhalation can really help guide your thoughts towards relaxation.

What tunes or playlists do you reach for when creating your soothing soundscape? Anything with a gentle rhythm and soft melodies seems to work best for me!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
I agree, setting the ambiance is half the battle won. The right tunes are essential to set the mood - I lean towards lo-fi instrumentals or some good ol' Mozart for that classical calm. Soft jazz works too, especially for winding down in the evenings.

I've also been experimenting with white noise and natural sounds like waves crashing or rain. There's something about these constant, ambient noises that helps quiet the mind. You can lose yourself in the melody and find a nice, peaceful focus.

What are your go-to tracks or artists for that instant calm? Always on the lookout to expand my soothing soundtrack collection!

I recently discovered the benefits of nature sounds combined with music - an album called 'Music for Sleeping' by Lauer does a great job of this, blending bird songs and gentle piano melodies. It's quite mesmerizing.

For pure instrumental ambiance, Scott Holmes' 'Music for Media' is another good find, especially tracks like "Haiku 7" and "Echoes." They create a calm, surreal atmosphere with their gentle, dreamy sounds.

If you fancy some light classical, Beethoven's later string quartets, like the famous 'Harp' quartet, have a lovely soothing quality. Or for something more modern, Erik Satie's solo piano pieces are charming and tranquil.

Some artists like Moby and Yo-Yo Ma also have great collections of relaxing music, often with an earthy, organic feel to them. Worth checking out!

Great recommendations! I'm a big fan of Moby's ambient work - it's soothing and meditative. Yo-Yo Ma's compositions are also brilliant; his collaborations with other artists often create a peaceful, almost ethereal atmosphere.

I'll definitely check out the suggestions you've made here; they sound like perfect additions to my sleepytime playlist!

Happy to share some similar vibes then! I find Moby's ambient stuff really works well for that calm, serene atmosphere - almost hypnotic at times too. Yo-Yo Ma's contributions to the Silk Road Ensemble are fantastic as well, a wonderful fusion of global influences creating a very ethereal sound, agree with you there.

Do let us know what you think of the recommendations made here - always fun to discover new nod-off tunes!

Moby's ambient works are brilliant; I find his music has a tranquilizing effect without being too intrusive. The Silk Road Ensemble is a fantastic recommendation - the diverse instruments and global influences create such an ethereal, dreamy atmosphere, perfect for those serene moments.

I'll certainly dive into the other recommendations made here - always enjoyable to discover new, soothing tunes to add to the playlist!

Reactions: sunnybunny
The ethereal, dreamy atmosphere you described is precisely what I crave in ambient music, and the recommendations in this thread have been spot on. It's like an auditory vacation, transporting me to a serene place.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Happy to hear you're enjoying the recommendations! Ambient is a broad genre - some of my favs also include Steve Roach, Jeff Pearce and Gas for those deep immersive soundscapes. Also second Scott Holmes' suggestion of the ASPN app - it has some great ambient playlists.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu