• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I struggle to stay awake when I'm tired, even if it's only for an hour or two past my bedtime. Has anyone else had this problem? What helps you fall asleep when you need to nod off ASAP?

I've tried melatonin but it doesn't seem to do much for me unfortunately. Any recommendations are welcome!

Reactions: joyful
I struggle to stay awake when I'm tired, even if it's only for an hour or two past my bedtime. Has anyone else had this problem? What helps you fall asleep when you need to nod off ASAP?

I've tried melatonin but it doesn't seem to do much for me unfortunately. Any recommendations are welcome!
Same here! I find that nothing works better than a good ol' routine and some discipline. I used to have trouble sleeping early even though I had work the next day. What helped me was setting a bedtime and sticking to it. If I absolutely needed to stay up late, like for some important event or work deadline, I would make up for it by adjusting my bedtime later for the next few days so I don't throw off my whole sleep schedule.

Also, winding down activities such as reading or taking a warm bath an hour before your bedtime can help prepare your body for sleep. Avoid looking at any screens during this time - the blue light emitted does wonders in keeping you wide awake!

Another trick is to keep a note of what you're thinking about when you're struggling to sleep. Often, our minds run wild thinking about the next day's tasks or things we forgot to do. Keeping a notebook by your bed lets you unload those thoughts so you can tell yourself you'll deal with it tomorrow - then you can fall asleep knowing it'll be there in the morning!

I also sometimes listen to white noise or ambient music to block out any disturbances. But I think the most important thing is creating a consistent routine and stick to it! Remember, your body craves familiarity and predictability.

Oh, and of course, exercise during the day helps too - makes you tire out quicker! But nothing too close to bedtime, like within 2 hours, as that might actually keep you more alert.

Hope these tips help! I'd be curious to hear if anyone has other tried-and-tested methods too!

Great suggestions! I especially agree with the blue light tip - keeping my phone away an hour before bedtime has helped me a lot. Also love the idea of noting down thoughts on paper; sometimes I find myself making mental to-do lists when I should be sleeping, so this would be a great way to offload those thoughts.

I've also found that sleeping in total darkness really helps - even the tiniest bit of light can disrupt my sleep. Investing in some thick curtains and an eye mask has made a big difference. And like you said, maintaining a consistent routine is key; every night before bed I follow the same steps: brush teeth, change into pyjamas, dim the lights, etc.

Would love to hear any other suggestions too!

Great suggestions! I especially agree with the blue light tip - keeping my phone away an hour before bedtime has helped me a lot. Also love the idea of noting down thoughts on paper; sometimes I find myself making mental to-do lists when I should be sleeping, so this would be a great way to offload those thoughts.

I've also found that sleeping in total darkness really helps - even the tiniest bit of light can disrupt my sleep. Investing in some thick curtains and an eye mask has made a big difference. And like you said, maintaining a consistent routine is key; every night before bed I follow the same steps: brush teeth, change into pyjamas, dim the lights, etc.

Would love to hear any other suggestions too!
Yeah, I hear ya! Having a super-dark room really helps with nodding off. I actually like having a very consistent and uniform environment when I sleep - dim lighting throughout the entire evening leading up to bedtime helps me a lot.

Some people find white noise machines or apps helpful too; it blocks out irregular noises that might disrupt your sleep.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Yeah, I hear ya! Having a super-dark room really helps with nodding off. I actually like having a very consistent and uniform environment when I sleep - dim lighting throughout the entire evening leading up to bedtime helps me a lot.

Some people find white noise machines or apps helpful too; it blocks out irregular noises that might disrupt your sleep.
Yup, I totally get that! Having a super consistent routine and an unperturbed calm atmosphere really sets the stage for a good night's rest. It's like our bodies clock in and prepare for sleep mode easier that way.

I'm all for minimizing unwanted distractions and creating a soothing environment to help little ones (and grown-ups!) nod off. White noise machines are God sent for masking unforeseen noises, especially in cities where it's almost always noisy.

Yup, I totally get that! Having a super consistent routine and an unperturbed calm atmosphere really sets the stage for a good night's rest. It's like our bodies clock in and prepare for sleep mode easier that way.

I'm all for minimizing unwanted distractions and creating a soothing environment to help little ones (and grown-ups!) nod off. White noise machines are God sent for masking unforeseen noises, especially in cities where it's almost always noisy.
White noise machines sure do wonders to block out unexpected noises that might disrupt sleep. It's amazing how these devices can provide a consistent background sound and create an uninterrupted peaceful slumber. It's like creating a soothing bubble to protect against the busy outside world.

• Love
Reactions: nature
White noise machines really are life savers when it comes to easy, uninterrupted sleep. They block out annoying or unexpected noises so effectively - it's like creating a peaceful bubble! I feel rested just thinking about it.

Reactions: musical
White noise machines really are life savers when it comes to easy, uninterrupted sleep. They block out annoying or unexpected noises so effectively - it's like creating a peaceful bubble! I feel rested just thinking about it.
Yeah, I stand by the notion that investing in a good white noise machine is one of the best decisions one can make for their sleep and overall sanity. It really gives that much-needed escape from the noise pollution of the outside world, giving your brain the relaxation it deserves when you hit the bed.

Reactions: joyful and eternity
Yeah, I stand by the notion that investing in a good white noise machine is one of the best decisions one can make for their sleep and overall sanity. It really gives that much-needed escape from the noise pollution of the outside world, giving your brain the relaxation it deserves when you hit the bed.
I totally agree! My husband and I invested in a high quality white noise machine when we moved into our new place, which was located near a busy road. It really helps to mask the noises and ensures a peaceful night's sleep.

I second that! I have a white noise machine, and it's especially helpful when my tot is taking her daytime naps. Helps to mask the loud toys and give her a peaceful slumber. The constant drone also lulls me to sleep sometimes!

That's a great idea - white noise is so soothing, especially when it's difficult to quieten the outside world! I find it helpful to have a few tools to switch up too, as sometimes the same sound can get a bit monotonous and have an opposite effect on my sleepiness. Have you tried any other types of sounds? I've found some great apps with a whole range of calming noises - from rainfall to ocean waves!

I'm a big fan of nature sounds too - there's an app I use that has a lot of good options. The storm and heavy rain sounds are my go-to, but I'll have to try out the ocean waves now! I find the white noise machines with a couple of different settings work well too - sometimes I'll mix in some relaxing ambient music as well. It's amazing how soothing it is to switch off to something so simple.

I completely agree, nature sounds are incredibly soothing! I've been using an app lately with a lot of success as well - it has all sorts of options and I love how relaxing they are. The storm sound is one of my favourites too - there's something very tranquil about it.

The white noise machines are fantastic; the different settings offer such a simple way to switch off and relax. I'll have to give the ocean waves a go now, too! It's amazing how effective these natural sounds can be at helping you unwind.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
The storm setting is top-notch - especially with the added thunder! The app developers really captured the essence of a stormy night, it's so peaceful. White noise machines are incredible and the ocean wave setting is definitely calming - especially for those who love the beach! It's like being lulled to sleep by the waves, it blocks out everything and creates such a serene environment to relax in.

The attention to detail is incredible; the developers really went the extra mile to craft those settings! I'm glad you mentioned the ocean wave setting - it's my go-to and has helped me so much with sleep over the years, especially when you can hear the occasional seagull too - it feels so authentic!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu