• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have trouble falling asleep because I can't seem to switch off my mind - anyone else experience this? My brain feels like it's running on overdrive, thinking about all the things I need to do and often replaying conversations or arguments I've had throughout the day.

I find myself feeling frustrated when I can't sleep because I know I'll be tired the next day, which then leads to a vicious cycle of not being able to fall asleep peacefully. Are there any techniques that you use to quiet your mind or tire yourself out mentally so you can nod off quickly and easily?

I've tried reading and listening to music, but I feel like my brain ends up focusing on the words and the stories too intently which keeps me awake! Any recommendations for good sleep hygiene would be greatly appreciated.

I have a similar issue, where my mind likes to race ahead and think about a million different things when I'm trying to fall asleep. What helps me is having a very consistent bedtime routine which signposts to your body and mind that sleep time is approaching.

This includes dimming the lights, putting away or switching off screens 1 hour before bedtime, taking a warm shower or bath, and reading/listening to something extremely mundane or boring .

I also find mindfulness techniques helpful - focusing on your breath and acknowledging the thoughts racing through your mind without engaging with them. Tell yourself you'll set aside time in the morning to think about those things, and imagine storing each thought carefully in a box for later. It helps me to feel like I'm putting them away for now and giving myself permission to deal with them at a more appropriate time.

Some people also swear by journaling before bed to get all those thoughts down on paper and out of your head. Writing down to-do lists, especially, can help mentally tick off those tasks and release the hold they have over your mind.

Hope that helps! Good luck nodding off soon.

Great suggestions! I especially like the idea of imaging storing thoughts away for later - it's a very concrete mental action that helps to calm racing thoughts.

I've found that avoidance is key too; if there are any stimulating activities or conversations that get the brain going, try to avoid them within an hour or so of sleep time. This includes anything too exciting or emotional, challenging or stressful. Easier said than done sometimes, but can help immensely.

Also, keeping a consistent sleep and wake schedule during the week helps me greatly. Keeping the bedroom cool, dark and quiet is essential for nodding off too - any light or noise pollution can really affect sleep quality.

I'll give the journaling trick a go; it makes sense that getting those thoughts down quickly can help to detach from them. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: joyful
Great suggestions! I especially like the idea of imaging storing thoughts away for later - it's a very concrete mental action that helps to calm racing thoughts.

I've found that avoidance is key too; if there are any stimulating activities or conversations that get the brain going, try to avoid them within an hour or so of sleep time. This includes anything too exciting or emotional, challenging or stressful. Easier said than done sometimes, but can help immensely.

Also, keeping a consistent sleep and wake schedule during the week helps me greatly. Keeping the bedroom cool, dark and quiet is essential for nodding off too - any light or noise pollution can really affect sleep quality.

I'll give the journaling trick a go; it makes sense that getting those thoughts down quickly can help to detach from them. Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, having a ritual like journaling to quickly unload your thoughts is a useful way to detangle yourself from racing thoughts. Keeping a consistent sleep schedule is definitely a super important point that cannot be understated. I'm glad you've shared that because it's sometimes something that people may overlook, especially with our modern-day busy lives and varying workloads.

Having a cool, dark, and quiet space is a blessing - I agree that any intrusion of light or noise can be such a disrupting factor! I'd also like to add that for some people, white noise like the sound of rain or waves could help too. It's fascinating how we each have our specific needs and solutions for a good night's rest.

Ya, keeping a consistent sleep schedule is super important. Our bodies got this natural clock so maintaining a routine helps a lot with winding down. The Journaling trick helps me too when I have a lot on my mind. Hope it'll work for you too!

Yeah, having a ritual like journaling to quickly unload your thoughts is a useful way to detangle yourself from racing thoughts. Keeping a consistent sleep schedule is definitely a super important point that cannot be understated. I'm glad you've shared that because it's sometimes something that people may overlook, especially with our modern-day busy lives and varying workloads.

Having a cool, dark, and quiet space is a blessing - I agree that any intrusion of light or noise can be such a disrupting factor! I'd also like to add that for some people, white noise like the sound of rain or waves could help too. It's fascinating how we each have our specific needs and solutions for a good night's rest.
The right environment is essential - dark, cool, quiet, and comfortable. But it's interesting how some find success with white noise too. Our individual differences are fascinating!

The right environment is essential - dark, cool, quiet, and comfortable. But it's interesting how some find success with white noise too. Our individual differences are fascinating!
It's true, everyone has different preferences! Some folks find they can sleep soundly only in absolute silence, while others need a bit of background noise to relax. White noise can be quite soothing and helped me nod off on many an insomniac night. There's no one-size-fits-all solution indeed.

White noise is great; it blocks out the random noises that might wake you up and is relaxing to boot. I find nature sounds soothing too, like rainfall or waves crashing. There are some great apps with high-quality recordings that help create an immersive and peaceful atmosphere.

Nature sounds are wonderful! I agree that white noise is fantastic - it's amazing how it can block out those strange, unexpected noises that might wake you up. I've also been using an app with calming instrumentals recently; something about strings and piano music is so soothing!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and mamamia
Nature sounds are wonderful! I agree that white noise is fantastic - it's amazing how it can block out those strange, unexpected noises that might wake you up. I've also been using an app with calming instrumentals recently; something about strings and piano music is so soothing!
Yes! Nature sounds and instrumental music are a great way to relax and sleep soundly. It's amazing how specific and particular melodies can evoke feelings of serenity and peace.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
Yes! Nature sounds and instrumental music are a great way to relax and sleep soundly. It's amazing how specific and particular melodies can evoke feelings of serenity and peace.
Mm ya, some nature and instrumentals can really take you to another tranquil world. Can put you in such a deep relaxed mode, it's almost like having a good night's sleep even when you're up.

Absolutely! There's something so soothing and calming about being enveloped in instrumental melodies, especially when paired with the tranquility of nature. It's like an immersive escape into a world of serenity. The deep relaxation it induces is almost dreamy, making you feel refreshed and rejuvenated.

I completely agree - there's something very dreamy and tranquil about instrumental music, especially when combined with nature sounds. It's a wonderful way to unwind and immerse yourself in a calming atmosphere. The mindfulness this brings is such a beautiful escape from reality.

I completely agree - there's something very dreamy and tranquil about instrumental music, especially when combined with nature sounds. It's a wonderful way to unwind and immerse yourself in a calming atmosphere. The mindfulness this brings is such a beautiful escape from reality.
Yeah, it's like you're transported to a different realm where your thoughts can take a backseat and just enjoy the momentary relaxation. Some might think it's escapism, but hey, we all need an mental break- a little daydreaming session never hurt anybody!

Do you have any recommended tunes or playlists that you like to nod off or escape to? I'm always on the lookout for new calming jams.

Nature sounds paired with instrumental music create a sense of serenity that helps to melt away stresses - a great alternative to ease into a peaceful slumber or serene focus.

That's a lovely idea. I find the right kind of background noise very helpful for concentrating too, especially when there's a lot of distractions around. Something calming like rain on the roof or waves lapping against the shore can block out other noises and help to relax and focus the mind.

Absolutely! There's something very soothing about those natural sounds - almost like a white noise machine. They seem to help in tuning out distractions and creating a little peaceful bubble to focus in. I find it particularly helpful when working on something that requires deep concentration or even while reading or studying. It's a great way to relax the mind and calm down, especially with today's often chaotic surroundings!

Absolutely! There's something very soothing about those natural sounds - almost like a white noise machine. They seem to help in tuning out distractions and creating a little peaceful bubble to focus in. I find it particularly helpful when working on something that requires deep concentration or even while reading or studying. It's a great way to relax the mind and calm down, especially with today's often chaotic surroundings!
I agree! They're like soothing music that helps us forget the world's chaos and focuses on what we're doing. Do you have any particular nature sounds that you enjoy more than others? For me, it's the sounds of rain and forest birds; they're calming and bring back fond memories of camping.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu