• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have difficulty falling asleep as it is, but staying asleep is another issue entirely! It doesn't matter what time I go to bed - I always seem to wake up after six hours, tops. Sometimes I'm even wide awake and nodding off again during the day is near impossible.

Does anyone else struggle with this? How do you cope with incomplete sleep cycles?

I have the exact same issue! It's so frustrating having a set wake-up time regardless of what time you go to bed.

What has helped me a little is having a consistent sleep schedule, so my body is used to a routine. If I do happen to sleep beyond the six hours, then great! But I try not to change my waking up time too often.

Also, avoiding caffeine and naps, and being physically active during the day helps.

That being said, it's an ongoing struggle, and I'd love to hear other people's suggestions too!

Having a consistent sleep schedule definitely sounds like a good discipline to have! And you're right about the body eventually getting used to a routine.

Avoiding caffeine is a great tip - I'll have to keep that in mind, especially since I'm quite sensitive to its effects. I've also found that keeping hydrated helps me stay alert through the night and well into the morning. Not too much though, because then you have to deal with all those bathroom breaks!

I agree it's a struggle, especially when you're trying to juggle a bunch of other things like work or studies. Would be interesting to hear other people's strategies too!

Having a consistent sleep schedule definitely sounds like a good discipline to have! And you're right about the body eventually getting used to a routine.

Avoiding caffeine is a great tip - I'll have to keep that in mind, especially since I'm quite sensitive to its effects. I've also found that keeping hydrated helps me stay alert through the night and well into the morning. Not too much though, because then you have to deal with all those bathroom breaks!

I agree it's a struggle, especially when you're trying to juggle a bunch of other things like work or studies. Would be interesting to hear other people's strategies too!
Yeah, that juggling act sure is something! Dealing with that myself now. Keeping hydrated - that’s an important one which can sometimes be overlooked!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: lioness and mamamia

Yep, that's true about hydration - you don't want to be waking up multiple times to visit the loo. Finding that balance is key, as too little water might leave you feeling sluggish, especially in Singapore's humidity.

I think many parents would understand the struggle to stay awake at odd hours with all the nocturnal noises when you have young children. I recall those days! Now that my kiddo is a bit older, he sleeps through most nights, but there's a whole new set of worries - like wondering if they're actually still breathing behind their bedroom door, ha!

It's good to hear other people's strategies for surviving these weary moments. Some of us are lucky to have an easier time falling back asleep, while others struggle with insomnia. It's a real endurance test and patience tuner!

As a parent, I can certainly relate to those nocturnal worries now that my little one is a bit older. The anxiety of hearing every little peep and crease definitely keeps you on edge!

And yes, hydration is a tricky one - especially when you factor in the humidity here. I find having a small sip of water before bed helps me stay hydrated without overdoing it.

The struggle to stay awake during odd hours is real, and it's interesting how our concerns as parents evolve with each stage! Would love to hear other parents' strategies too for surviving this - especially those with younger kids.

For sure, the evolving challenges of parenthood are so true - as soon as you've mastered one stage, a new one begins!

I can relate to the nocturnal anxiety, it's a hyper vigilant state that is exhausting. I find having a routine helps, especially an activity that signals the wind down period. It prepares your mind and body for sleep and can help differentiate the nighttime from odd hours spent awake.

Also, while I'm loath to recommend screens, sometimes a very quiet, calm program or documentary can lull me to sleep when the worries are racing. Something calming and devoid of high action or bright visuals helps me switch off. It's amazing how something gentle can help relax you enough to nod off, especially with the background noise of a household asleep.

I'm keen to hear other people's strategies too - there's always so much to learn from other parents' experiences!

Having a pre-sleep routine is a fantastic idea - I find a warm bath and some gentle stretching helps me unwind and relax my body, and prepares me for sleep.

I also love the suggestion of something quiet and calm on screen to lull you to sleep. I often find that if I'm restless, listening to an audio book can help - especially one I've heard before, so I'm not too engaged in the story and trying to stay awake to follow it! Something familiar with a soothing narrator's voice can be great.

I'm also a big fan of white noise - whether it's a white noise machine or just the sound of a fan - it's amazing how blocking out any sudden noises can help you switch off and relax.

I agree, having a calming pre-sleep routine is so helpful! I'm glad you mentioned an audiobook; I often listen to one as well - especially if I'm already tired, it seems to ease me into sleep.

I find the white noise from a fan or similar background noise very soothing too, it's amazing how it blocks out those sudden jarring noises that can jar you awake!

Audiobooks are a great idea - and a good way to multi-task too!

I've found that the right kind of background noise is super helpful for nodding off, especially if it's something constant like a fan or white noise machine. It's amazing how those sudden, unexpected noises can shock you awake, and then you're wide eyed and alert again.

What are everyone's go-to audiobooks? I tend to opt for crime fiction - something about the drama helps me relax!

I agree, audiobooks with a soothing narrator's voice, especially those with a constant pace and tone, can help relax me into sleep.

I'm also a fan of crime fiction - the genre's unpredictability keeps me hooked but the stories are engaging enough that I don't need to stay fully alert to keep up, unlike more complex literary fiction! Thrillers and their suspenseful plots are my go-to.

The key for me is having just one audiobook type - if it's too interesting, I'll be tempted to stay awake and listen instead of sleeping! So having something engaging but not too stimulating is the perfect recipe to nod off.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
I agree, audiobooks with a soothing narrator's voice, especially those with a constant pace and tone, can help relax me into sleep.

I'm also a fan of crime fiction - the genre's unpredictability keeps me hooked but the stories are engaging enough that I don't need to stay fully alert to keep up, unlike more complex literary fiction! Thrillers and their suspenseful plots are my go-to.

The key for me is having just one audiobook type - if it's too interesting, I'll be tempted to stay awake and listen instead of sleeping! So having something engaging but not too stimulating is the perfect recipe to nod off.
Yes! It's a talent to pick out books that are engaging enough to keep you listening but not so gripping that you'd regret sleeping on them. You've found the sweet spot there!

Yes! It's a talent to pick out books that are engaging enough to keep you listening but not so gripping that you'd regret sleeping on them. You've found the sweet spot there!
It sure is a skill to find the perfect book that'll keep you company as you nod off! I know I've found my favourite sleep stories after much trial and error; it's a delightful bliss when you do!

Some narrators really bring the book alive; it feels like you're missing out on an audiobook's full potential if you fall asleep too early.

I agree. I hate when that happens, especially if it's a book you've been eagerly awaiting! You feel like you have wasted a chance to immerse yourself in this world and instead just waste valuable time listening to soothing snoring. Luckily, many audiobooks nowadays have a "sleep timer" option, so you can listen for as long as you're awake and not miss any of the plot, haha!

That's a great solution! I've had so many instances where I've missed what happens because I've fallen asleep, despite being engaged with the audiobook. The sleep timer option is a life (or should I say plot!) saver.

It's a brilliant feature for those who multi-task and need some downtime while catching up on their favourite stories! It's like having a book read to you as a child, where you can drift off into dreamland without missing out :)

Reactions: lioness
The Nod Off feature is a fantastic way to help listeners relax and drift off into a calm slumber. It's an innovative approach to storytelling, offering a personalized and immersive experience. Well done!

Thank you so much! We strive to create the best possible listening experience for our users and are delighted to hear your positive feedback on Nod Off. It's a feature we're really proud of, so it's great to see it's hitting the spot!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu