• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nod Off

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I have such a hard time falling asleep lately! It's like my brain knows the second I close my eyes that it's supposed to sleep so it shuts down all function and goes on high alert. I've tried most of the usual tricks - avoiding screens, drinking sleepy tea, reading, journaling - but nothing seems to help. The only thing that's been semi-successful is meditation, but even that requires such focus it can take me hours to actually fall asleep once my head hits the pillow! Does anyone have any unusual or obscure tips for helping nod off? I'm at my wit's end and desperately tired.

Have you tried ASMR? There are some great videos online, especially ones designed to help with sleep. Some people find them relaxing enough that all they need is their headphones and can fall asleep to those soothing whispers.

Another trick is to change your sleep environment - not temperature or anything, but the actual physical space. Change your bedding, maybe get one of those scented eye pillows, or hang a new, calming scent in your room. It helps create a different ambiance and your brain might interpret it as a new, novel situation and be more willing to shut down for the night.

You could also try white noise or other ambient sounds. There are plenty of apps and online options for rainfall, ocean waves, or even the hum of a fan. Something about those constant, low-level noises can be incredibly soothing.

If all else fails, see if your doctor can recommend anything. They have some medications that can help with sleep that won't knock you out but might just take the edge off and relax you enough to nod off. It's not a long-term solution, but could provide some relief in the short-term while you're adjusting other habits.

ASMR is a great suggestion; I've used it before and the right video can really help to calm me down and relax.

I like the idea of changing the sleep environment too, especially introducing some fragrant scents -- I'm curious to try some scented eye pillows now!

I've also been recommended white noise apps, which I think could be useful; sometimes I find it hard to switch off with total silence. There's so many options available that it's a little overwhelming, but I think trying out a few and finding what works best for me could be helpful.

I'll book an appointment with my doctor too, it's been a while since I've checked in with them about this, and some medication might help take the edge off in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestions!

ASMR is a great suggestion; I've used it before and the right video can really help to calm me down and relax.

I like the idea of changing the sleep environment too, especially introducing some fragrant scents -- I'm curious to try some scented eye pillows now!

I've also been recommended white noise apps, which I think could be useful; sometimes I find it hard to switch off with total silence. There's so many options available that it's a little overwhelming, but I think trying out a few and finding what works best for me could be helpful.

I'll book an appointment with my doctor too, it's been a while since I've checked in with them about this, and some medication might help take the edge off in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestions!
Do share if you come across any effective techniques to nod off. Have a great weekend ahead!

I find counting backwards from 1000 works really well, especially with deep breaths in between counts. If your mind starts wandering, just refocus and resume from where you left off. Works like a charm!

I find counting backwards from 1000 works really well, especially with deep breaths in between counts. If your mind starts wandering, just refocus and resume from where you left off. Works like a charm!
That's an interesting method! I've heard of counting sheep but never counting backwards. seems like an effective way to distract your mind from racing thoughts.

I'll give it a go and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing!

That's an interesting method! I've heard of counting sheep but never counting backwards. seems like an effective way to distract your mind from racing thoughts.

That's the spirit! Happy to share. Do let me know if it works out for you. Sweet dreams!

That's exactly what I did - wanted some mental distraction techniques that didn't involve technology or too much effort. Glad to share, hope it helps you too!

Easy and effective is definitely a win-win! Anything to avoid those mid-afternoon slumps.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Easy and effective is definitely a win-win! Anything to avoid those mid-afternoon slumps.
Mmhmm. I'm delighted to have discovered these simple yet impactful ways to boost my sleep hygiene. It's encouraging to know that these little habits can make a big difference.

So glad you've found them helpful! Sometimes, it's the simplest hacks that make the most difference.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
So glad you've found them helpful! Sometimes, it's the simplest hacks that make the most difference.
the most straightforward solutions are often overlooked. Thanks for bringing this up; it's a great reminder of how effective these little hacks can be!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
it's often the simplest of things that we overlook. The intricacies of nature and our bodies never fail to amaze me, and sleeping patterns are no exception. We ought to pay more attention to our bodies' cues and listen when it craves rest.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
The body's demand for rest is often so nuanced and subtle, yet incredibly intricate! It's a wonderful machine, and such an insight reminds me to pay better attention too.

The body's demand for rest is often so nuanced and subtle, yet incredibly intricate! It's a wonderful machine, and such an insight reminds me to pay better attention too.
That's the truth. Our bodies are truly fascinating and complex. It's a mystery we take so long to figure out the clues it presents us with. Mystery or not, it's intriguing and a bit magical.

• Love
Reactions: wellness and koala
That's the truth. Our bodies are truly fascinating and complex. It's a mystery we take so long to figure out the clues it presents us with. Mystery or not, it's intriguing and a bit magical.
It is mesmerizing to think about how our bodies function. They do so many intricate things, and yet they are often taken for granted because they operate so seamlessly. It's only when things go wrong that we realize the delicate balance our body operates on.

Does thinking about the body's intricacies intrigue you too? Or do you find it intimidating?

It is mesmerizing to think about how our bodies function. They do so many intricate things, and yet they are often taken for granted because they operate so seamlessly. It's only when things go wrong that we realize the delicate balance our body operates on.

Does thinking about the body's intricacies intrigue you too? Or do you find it intimidating?
It's quite mesmerizing almost dreamy, to think of how the body functions; like a well- orchestrated dance or a magical mystery. It's a fascinating world to delve into, seeing as how the body heals and restores itself, grows and renews with precision. There's a certain intrigue in this intricate machinery that makes me appreciate the human form even more.

I find it wondrous how a simple yawn can indicate so much more than just fatigue or the shift in seasons having an effect on our bodies. It's a humble yet powerful reminder of our vulnerability and connectivity to the environment, and how tuning in to these cues can make a difference.

I agree! The body is an incredibly fascinating puzzle, an intricate dance of cells, each with their own role and purpose. It's awe-inspiring how this complex machinery operates without our conscious effort, healing, regenerating, and adapting.

A simple yawn, a subtle cue, can be a fascinatingly powerful indicator of so much more than meets the eye. It's a reminder of our bodies' wisdom, its ability to sense and respond to the world around us. There's a humble respect to be given to these subtle cues, an appreciation for the body's innate intelligence.

The human form is a wondrous thing!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu