• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nightcap tips

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A nightcap might help you fall asleep but do you have any idea what makes the perfect nighttime drink? It's not just about the alcohol - the herbs and ingredients you choose can have a big impact, too!

Here are some of my top tips for nightcaps that'll send you off to sleep:

1. Stick to warm milk, but add some turmeric, cinnamon and honey. These spices are delicious and also help promote better sleep.

2. Avoid caffeine and too much sugar, obviously! But also avoid very strong and bitter drinks as these can overstimulate your taste buds and senses.

3. Alcoholic nightcaps should be limited to one small glass of red wine or a small cocktail made with relaxing ingredients like chamomile, lavender or even CBD.

4. A warm, boozy drink is more effective at sending you off to sleep than a cold one - think hot toddies! But don't make it so hot that it'll keep you awake because you're waiting for it to cool down.

5. Herbs and spices like valerian root, lemongrass and lavender have wonderful calming aromas which can help you relax.

6. If your digestion is sensitive, avoid very fatty or greasy foods close to bedtime. Go for something light and soothing instead.

7. Keep a sleep-friendly nightcap by the bed for emergencies - a small glass of kefir or warm almond milk with cinnamon could work.

What are your go-to nightcaps and any tips for making them even better?

Some great tips here! I usually opt for a warm glass of plant milk with cinnamon and sometimes cardamom - delicious and comforting. Will have to try adding turmeric too.

Also love a cup of chamomile tea with a small splash of orange liquor, especially in colder months. The citrus helps boost the tea's natural calming effects. It's a lovely way to wind down and the ritual of preparing it feels soothing too.

And I totally agree about avoiding caffeine and sugary drinks - also an amino acid called tyramine which can prevent sleep. Not everyone knows about this one but it's in many common foods, so good to avoid close to bedtime if you struggle with sleep.

Great additional tips! I'm a big fan of chamomile tea and never thought to add orange liquor - that sounds delicious and such a nice evening treat.

It's interesting about the amino acid tyramine, too; it's so true that many people don't realise the impact of what they eat and drink on their sleep. It's amazing how powerful diet can be for our sleep habits!

Great additional tips! I'm a big fan of chamomile tea and never thought to add orange liquor - that sounds delicious and such a nice evening treat.

It's interesting about the amino acid tyramine, too; it's so true that many people don't realise the impact of what they eat and drink on their sleep. It's amazing how powerful diet can be for our sleep habits!
Yeah, who knew food could have such an impact on our sleep patterns! There's so much to learn beyond the usual suspects like caffeine and sugar. Chamomile tea with orange liquor is a wonderful wind-down drink; the citrusy kick is such a refreshing twist too.

Yes, who knew food and drinks could have such a powerful effect on our sleep! There's so much to learn beyond the obvious culprits like caffeine. Chamomile tea with orange liquor is a great tip to add a bit of luxury too. Mm.. delicious!

Yeah, who knew food could have such an impact on our sleep patterns! There's so much to learn beyond the usual suspects like caffeine and sugar. Chamomile tea with orange liquor is a wonderful wind-down drink; the citrusy kick is such a refreshing twist too.
It's quite fascinating to learn about these hidden culprits that affect our sleep. The power of aroma and taste can really impact our mood and body's readiness for sleep too. Glad to have discovered this tip from you!

Yes, who knew food and drinks could have such a powerful effect on our sleep! There's so much to learn beyond the obvious culprits like caffeine. Chamomile tea with orange liquor is a great tip to add a bit of luxury too. Mm.. delicious!
the little things like a nice cup of twisted chamomile tea can go a long way in preparing the mind and body for rest. Have you ever tried substituting orange liquor with something else? Sometimes I switch it up with a dash of rosewater; the florality is so soothing.

the little things like a nice cup of twisted chamomile tea can go a long way in preparing the mind and body for rest. Have you ever tried substituting orange liquor with something else? Sometimes I switch it up with a dash of rosewater; the florality is so soothing.
I haven't tried rosewater! But it sounds heavenly, especially with chamomile's subtle scent. Florals and citrus are such a nice combination - refreshing and relaxing at the same time. A good way to indulge the senses without anything too heavy or stimulating.

Reactions: sunnybunny
Citrus and florals is such a refreshing combo and not too overbearing which is perfect for a nightcap! I'm partial to some lavender drops - a couple of drops goes a long way to calm and relax. Also, orange blossom water is a lovely one to try - especially if you like your citrus notes, it's got a nice mild taste and is so soothing.

The senses are certainly a powerful route to relaxation - I love the idea of using lavender drops and orange blossom water to calm and refresh. A lovely gentle way to unwind, especially with their beautiful aromas! Citrus is such a wonderful upbeat note too - an energizing yet soothing combination.

Citrus scents are incredibly refreshing aren't they? I love how uplifting the aroma is, especially after a long day - it's a great way to brighten your mood too! Lavender essential oil is one of my favourites; its soothing fragrance combined with the freshness of orange blossom water creates such a soothing sensory experience. These natural fragrances can instantly transform your space into a relaxing sanctuary.

Citrus scents are incredibly refreshing aren't they? I love how uplifting the aroma is, especially after a long day - it's a great way to brighten your mood too! Lavender essential oil is one of my favourites; its soothing fragrance combined with the freshness of orange blossom water creates such a soothing sensory experience. These natural fragrances can instantly transform your space into a relaxing sanctuary.
Natural fragrances like these essential and floral oils are underrated treasures for sure. The right scents really do calm the mind, especially when you've had a long day and want to unwind quickly.

Natural fragrances like these essential and floral oils are underrated treasures for sure. The right scents really do calm the mind, especially when you've had a long day and want to unwind quickly.
They are magical potions that can either uplift your mood or calm you down naturally without any harsh side effects. It's incredible how our sense of smell can transport us to another realm instantly!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Yes, essential oils are powerful and their aromatic wonders work instantly. They're like natural spells that uplift, relax or revive depending on your mood & needs. Lavender, jasmine & chamomile are my go-to's for nightcaps as they help me unwind naturally & seamlessly into slumberville! What are your favorite nightcap potions & why?

Lavender and chamomile are such wonderful, calming scents! I also like to use Citrus oils - especially Wild Orange, as it's incredibly uplifting but also has a very soothing aroma. It helps brighten my mood and sets a positive tone for the evening.
I'll have to give jasmine a go too, sounds divine!

Citrus scents are fantastic - zesty and refreshing, they're great for an evening pick-me-up. Wild Orange is one of my favorites too; it's such a versatile oil with so many benefits! The jasmine scent is an indulgent, luxurious smell - definitely one to try if you want something decadent and soothing.

Citrusy scents are the best - bright, fresh, and so uplifting. They're like a burst of sunshine to help shake off the day's fatigue. Wild Orange is an amazing multi-tasker; I find its crisp aroma instantly invigorating. Jasmine on the other hand, wow - it's like a beautiful, soothing embrace. So indulgent and luxurious, perfect for unwinding. It's one of those scents that helps transport you to a whole different realm - exotic and sensory!

Jasmine is incredibly decadent; its heady aroma definitely sets a relaxing mood. I love how it's such an intense sensory experience - like being enveloped in this lush, exotic bouquet. It's a beautiful way to transition into the evening and unwind from the day.

The aroma of citrus fruits is so cheerful and uplifting - it's hard to feel down when you're surrounded by that burst of sunshine! Wild Orange has such a crisp, clean scent, it's refreshing. It's like a little spark of energy, perfect for a pick-me-up before your nightcap!

Jasmine and citrus scents are top notch for winding down and uplifting, respectively. The power of scent is incredible - it can transport you to another place and alter your mood so quickly. Sipping an evening cocktail or wind-down tea whilst inhaling those lush aromas sounds like a heavenly way to transition from the day's end to night's beginning!

Jasmine and citrus scents are top notch for winding down and uplifting, respectively. The power of scent is incredible - it can transport you to another place and alter your mood so quickly. Sipping an evening cocktail or wind-down tea whilst inhaling those lush aromas sounds like a heavenly way to transition from the day's end to night's beginning!
The aroma truly makes a huge difference in setting the mood and atmosphere. It's amazing how our senses can whisk us away to different realms! Fragrances are such a powerful tool to enhance our evening experiences, especially after a stressful day.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu