• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

NewCareTips

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some tips:

1. Change as many diapers as you can and use that time to also examine for rashes, bumps, or redness. You can also check if your baby's umbilical cord stump is healing well by looking for signs of infection or if it's turning yellow - this is a good indicator to call the pediatrician!

2. If your baby's cord falls off too soon (usually at the 1-2 week mark), you can use Vaseline or any Petroleum Jelly to dress the now exposed umbilical area and also protect the surrounding skin. This helps with the discomfort and quicker healing.

3. Burp your little one after every feed - it helps them settle better and prevents spit ups. Some babies are trickier than others when it comes to burping, so figure out what works best - pat their backs or gently rub their chests in upward strokes.

4. Keep a note of wet and dirty diapers, feeding times and durations, sleep timings (including any night wakings) and even little milestones like rolling over, smiling etc. This helps you keep track of their patterns, share with the doctor if needed and also enjoy the little triumphs!

5. In the early weeks, you'd be touching your baby's delicate skin the most - wash your hands often and make sure to use moisturizer or Petroleum Jelly on your hands often too so as not to dry them out.

6. If you're using a stroller or car seat, ensure you don't cover it up too warmly - this could lead to overheating. Instead use light blankets that are breathable but keep baby snug.

7. Avoid bathing your newborn daily - twice or thrice a week is sufficient and also helps keep their skin moist and supple. Use a mild unscented soap and warm water, sponge them gently and keep the whole experience relaxing for you both!

8. Be on the lookout for signs of jaundice - if your baby's skin appears yellowish or they seem extra sleepy and floppy, make sure to reach out to the doctor right away.

9. If you pump or even bottle feed expressed breastmilk, ensure that all equipment is cleaned thoroughly and sterilized. Boiling for 5 minutes does the job and is a great natural way to sterilize!

10. Enjoy these early weeks - they grow up fast, and before you know it, you'll be wondering where all that newborn snuggly-ness went! Soaking it all in now won't ever be a regret!

What are some tips you wish you'd known about before?

• Love
Reactions: musical
Some tips:

1. Change as many diapers as you can and use that time to also examine for rashes, bumps, or redness. You can also check if your baby's umbilical cord stump is healing well by looking for signs of infection or if it's turning yellow - this is a good indicator to call the pediatrician!

2. If your baby's cord falls off too soon (usually at the 1-2 week mark), you can use Vaseline or any Petroleum Jelly to dress the now exposed umbilical area and also protect the surrounding skin. This helps with the discomfort and quicker healing.

3. Burp your little one after every feed - it helps them settle better and prevents spit ups. Some babies are trickier than others when it comes to burping, so figure out what works best - pat their backs or gently rub their chests in upward strokes.

4. Keep a note of wet and dirty diapers, feeding times and durations, sleep timings (including any night wakings) and even little milestones like rolling over, smiling etc. This helps you keep track of their patterns, share with the doctor if needed and also enjoy the little triumphs!

5. In the early weeks, you'd be touching your baby's delicate skin the most - wash your hands often and make sure to use moisturizer or Petroleum Jelly on your hands often too so as not to dry them out.

6. If you're using a stroller or car seat, ensure you don't cover it up too warmly - this could lead to overheating. Instead use light blankets that are breathable but keep baby snug.

7. Avoid bathing your newborn daily - twice or thrice a week is sufficient and also helps keep their skin moist and supple. Use a mild unscented soap and warm water, sponge them gently and keep the whole experience relaxing for you both!

8. Be on the lookout for signs of jaundice - if your baby's skin appears yellowish or they seem extra sleepy and floppy, make sure to reach out to the doctor right away.

9. If you pump or even bottle feed expressed breastmilk, ensure that all equipment is cleaned thoroughly and sterilized. Boiling for 5 minutes does the job and is a great natural way to sterilize!

10. Enjoy these early weeks - they grow up fast, and before you know it, you'll be wondering where all that newborn snuggly-ness went! Soaking it all in now won't ever be a regret!

What are some tips you wish you'd known about before?
Some tips I wish I knew before would be how to help baby sleep better! As new parents, we wanted all the help we could get in this department, haha. Turns out, white noise helped our little one snooze longer. Also, keeping the room well-shaded and slightly cooler than normal really helped with getting him to nap longer during the day. Those were some much-needed cues that we figured out on our own after a few tries and errors. Oh, and also, massaging his tiny legs after a warm bath - it helps to soothe them after a long day!

Some tips I wish I knew before would be how to help baby sleep better! As new parents, we wanted all the help we could get in this department, haha. Turns out, white noise helped our little one snooze longer. Also, keeping the room well-shaded and slightly cooler than normal really helped with getting him to nap longer during the day. Those were some much-needed cues that we figured out on our own after a few tries and errors. Oh, and also, massaging his tiny legs after a warm bath - it helps to soothe them after a long day!
Using white noise and keeping the room cool for day naps is a great hack many new parents could benefit from! Some babies also respond well to being swaddled - it provides the cozy snugness they felt in the womb.

Another thing that helped us was using a rocker or swing - the gentle motion lulled our little one to sleep and the rocking movement mirrored the comforting feel of being pushed in a stroller. We would also keep the room dimmed even during the day, to signal it's sleep time.

What other tricks have you picked up that might help new parents?

• Love
Reactions: nature
Using white noise and keeping the room cool for day naps is a great hack many new parents could benefit from! Some babies also respond well to being swaddled - it provides the cozy snugness they felt in the womb.

Another thing that helped us was using a rocker or swing - the gentle motion lulled our little one to sleep and the rocking movement mirrored the comforting feel of being pushed in a stroller. We would also keep the room dimmed even during the day, to signal it's sleep time.

What other tricks have you picked up that might help new parents?
Yeah, agree about the stroller motion helping to lull baby to sleep. It's a good one!

I've also found that having some kind of mobile or hanging toy above baby's cot can be entertaining and distracting for them, especially when you're trying to get them to stay awake during the day - gives them something to focus on.

And of course, it's always a good idea to have an oversized shirt or two handy. Super useful for quick, easy and discreet feeding, plus it keeps things cool in hot weather too!

Yeah, agree about the stroller motion helping to lull baby to sleep. It's a good one!

I've also found that having some kind of mobile or hanging toy above baby's cot can be entertaining and distracting for them, especially when you're trying to get them to stay awake during the day - gives them something to focus on.

And of course, it's always a good idea to have an oversized shirt or two handy. Super useful for quick, easy and discreet feeding, plus it keeps things cool in hot weather too!
Oh yes, mobiles are a great idea! Visually stimulating and captivating for the little ones, especially as they learn to focus on objects.

I found that keeping a variety of interesting, textured toys helped too - things like soft books with different fabrics, crinkly bits or even a small mirror for them to admire their reflection! These kept my kids entertained and engaged while I sneaked in some me-time during the day.

What other hacks do you have up your sleeve for new moms?

Oh yes, mobiles are a great idea! Visually stimulating and captivating for the little ones, especially as they learn to focus on objects.

I found that keeping a variety of interesting, textured toys helped too - things like soft books with different fabrics, crinkly bits or even a small mirror for them to admire their reflection! These kept my kids entertained and engaged while I sneaked in some me-time during the day.

What other hacks do you have up your sleeve for new moms?
Multi-sensory toys are fantastic! They're visually appealing and provide tactile stimulation, which is great for baby's overall sensory development.

For me-time, I'd also recommend keeping a couple of go-to activities that are easy to set up and pack away. Think of things like a simple fishing game or a giant bubble blowing session - they're fun and help keep their attention, plus the bubble solution can double up as a sensory play activity!

I also found that having a baby carrier was a Godsend, especially for getting things done around the house or running errands. It left my hands free and the constant movement seemed to soothe my little one. Win-win!

Multi-sensory toys are fantastic! They're visually appealing and provide tactile stimulation, which is great for baby's overall sensory development.

For me-time, I'd also recommend keeping a couple of go-to activities that are easy to set up and pack away. Think of things like a simple fishing game or a giant bubble blowing session - they're fun and help keep their attention, plus the bubble solution can double up as a sensory play activity!

I also found that having a baby carrier was a Godsend, especially for getting things done around the house or running errands. It left my hands free and the constant movement seemed to soothe my little one. Win-win!
You're right! Baby carriers are like an extra pair of hands, leaving you free to get on with things while keeping baby close and contented.

I liked to take advantage of my little one's naptime to quickly prep some simple, healthy snacks or grab a quick coffee - a necessary evil for survival, ha! This left me feeling refreshed and ready for some quality playtime afterwards.

What other tips do you have for making the most of baby's downtime?

For me, I wish I knew more about the jaundice signs to look out for. My newborn had a mild case and since I was a first-time mum, I didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure if the yellow tinge was normal or not. Luckily it was picked up early and treated, but it was scary!

Also, I was too worried about burping initially - thinking there was a right and wrong way to do it, but then I realized that every baby is different and you just gotta find what works for yours. Pat-pat, rub-rub, whatever gets the job done without stressing them out hahaha.

I overthought a lot of things, actually. Like the stroller/car seat thing - I was so worried about my baby overheating cos it's so easy to do here with our weather, but then learned that keeping it too chilly is also not good. The key really is just maintaining that neutral temperature and being observant!

Oh, and I wish I'd started tracking their milestones earlier. It's fun to look back on and super fascinating to see the tiny developments you miss sometimes cos they're so subtle!

Reactions: bookworm
Yup, I totally agree with you there!

One thing that helped me was keeping a notebook by the bed to jot down all the little observations - especially in those first few weeks when everything's so new. Took lots of notes on feeding times, nappy changes and sleep cause it all blurs together haha. Also jotted down questions for the next checkup cos you never know what the doc might ask and it's easy to forget!

And yeah, don't over bundle up the stroller! Can be tempting but like you said, not good for the lil one to OVERHEAT.

Newborn phase flies by man, enjoy it while it lasts!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Yup! Those are some good ones!

I'd add keeping a small journal or notebook at the diaper station - makes it easier to jot down those milestones and also anything else you notice about baby's behavior, health and patterns that you want to remember/tell the doc!

Also, don't freak out if baby has hair loss or cradle cap. It's pretty common and usually nothing to worry about. Same goes for newborns getting acne - pretty normal in the first few months, and it will clear up on its own!

Oh, and learn the difference between starvation cries and other cries - a hungry cry is usually more "angry" and high pitched, while cries due to discomfort or pain can be deeper and more hoarse.

Last one - if breastfeeding, wear those nursing bras that open on the front. So much easier than trying to unhook your regular bra with a wriggly baby in your arms! And save you from exposing yourself accidentally too haha. They're lifesavers in the middle of the night!

Gosh, those are really detailed and useful tips!

I'd add that it's a good idea to stock up on some petroleum jelly and keep it handy - it's great for lots of things, like preventing diaper rash and keeping the skin around the umbilical cord stump moist . Also, it's good to have a small pot of moisturizer for your own hands, 'cause all that hand-washing can dry yours out!

twice/thrice weekly baths sounds so lux! Haha, but yup, it's good to keep an eye on that jaundice. That's quite a telltale sign - the yellow hue. Also, with all the excitement and exhaustion, it's easy to forget to eat and drink enough yourself, so stay hydrated and fed, mamas and papas! It's hard to care for a newborn if you're feeling sluggish from being hungry and thirsty!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Gosh, those are really detailed and useful tips!

I'd add that it's a good idea to stock up on some petroleum jelly and keep it handy - it's great for lots of things, like preventing diaper rash and keeping the skin around the umbilical cord stump moist . Also, it's good to have a small pot of moisturizer for your own hands, 'cause all that hand-washing can dry yours out!

twice/thrice weekly baths sounds so lux! Haha, but yup, it's good to keep an eye on that jaundice. That's quite a telltale sign - the yellow hue. Also, with all the excitement and exhaustion, it's easy to forget to eat and drink enough yourself, so stay hydrated and fed, mamas and papas! It's hard to care for a newborn if you're feeling sluggish from being hungry and thirsty!
Ya, I agree with you there! Having some petroleum jelly around is really useful - it's great for so many things, like keeping baby's skin moisturized and helping to treat diaper rashes too. And ya, don't forget to take care of yourself too - eat and drink enough, cos it can get pretty exhausting managing a newborn!

Ya, I agree with you there! Having some petroleum jelly around is really useful - it's great for so many things, like keeping baby's skin moisturized and helping to treat diaper rashes too. And ya, don't forget to take care of yourself too - eat and drink enough, cos it can get pretty exhausting managing a newborn!
There's so much to prepare and learn before the baby arrives! You're absolutely right - there's no harm in having some extra help on hand, and it's definitely reassuring to have a few tricks up your sleeve like petroleum jelly for those unexpected moments.

It's also a good idea to have some form of skincare products for newborns; their delicate skin can be unpredictable!

Are you thinking of any specific products or just general advice you'd share on this topic?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and koala
Oh ya, white noise is a lifesaver for helping baby sleep longer - sometimes just using an app on your phone can do the trick! Also, I didn't think of it then, but having a consistent bedtime routine from young helps too. You know, like a bath, then a story or some such, and then sleep. Somehow, that predictability settles them well.

Yeah, I remember those sleepless nights only too well - anything to get some more zzz's is worth trying!

Reactions: wisdom
I agree! Those are such helpful tips for new parents!

I'd add that it's a good idea to stock up on some petroleum jelly and also some sterile feeding/pumping equipment. You never know when you might need them, and they're great for soothing dry skin and keeping baby safe.

Also, it's quite amazing how different babies can be! Some are really good at feeding and burping, while others need a little more help. So don't worry if things don't go as expected - you'll find what works best for your little one.

It all becomes second nature after a while, but those first few weeks are definitely an adventure!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Yep yep! Newborns' skin super delicate and fragile, so gotta be extra careful and gentle when handling them. Also, good tip about the stroller - keep it breathable and don't bundle up ya new baby too warmly! Overheating can be a real issue sometimes.

As for me, wish I knew more about keeping track of everything - feed times, nappy changes, sleep etc etc - those first few weeks a blur haha! Some kind of Baby 101 app would've helped me keep things in order and calm our frazzled nerves. Oh wells, next time around I'll be more prepared!

Oh yes, those precious newborn weeks - they're such a blur but so memorable too!

I'd add to keep some form of humidifier or vaporizer on hand. It helps newborns with congestion and coughs - those first colds can be scary with tiny babes. Boiling water on the stove works in a pinch too, though it's not as efficient.

Also, speaking from experience, it's so worth investing in a good baby carrier! Something ergonomic for your hips and shoulders, especially if you're the kind who likes to toss a sling over your shoulder when running errands or going on walks. A good carrier can distribute the weight well and leave your hands free too.

And of course, no one prepares you for how scary and uncertain those first few weeks can be - like you're responsible for this tiny, helpless little human! imposter syndrome much? But we figure it out as we go, and that's the fun of parenthood Hey!

Good points! I'd add that it's a good idea to keep the hospital band on the baby for a few weeks - easy way to check which side was last fed on and if there's any jaundice developing cos the yellow shows up clearly against the white band. Also, for mums who are breastfeeding, those little reusable ice packs are great. Keep a few in the freezer and use them as hot packs to help with engorgement or blocked ducts - works wonders! And of course, always trust your gut - no one knows your baby better than you, so if something doesn't seem right, do check with the doc!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu