• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New Tips

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some tips are timeless - but others are new, tried-and-true hacks that make parenting easier and more enjoyable. Share your newest tip for taking care of newborns here! Big or small, we want to hear them all!

Create a "diaper changing kit" with everything you need for quick and efficient diaper changes. It can include essentials like fresh diapers, wipes, cream, a small toy or two, and a change of clothes - all kept handy in a basket or caddy near the changing station. This way, you don't have to scramble to find everything in those early weeks!

• Haha
Reactions: nature and musical
Create a "diaper changing kit" with everything you need for quick and efficient diaper changes. It can include essentials like fresh diapers, wipes, cream, a small toy or two, and a change of clothes - all kept handy in a basket or caddy near the changing station. This way, you don't have to scramble to find everything in those early weeks!
That's a fantastic idea! Having a diaper changing kit prepares you for quick diaper changes, especially when you have a wriggly toddler who doesn't like to lie still!

I would also add a small trash bin to the kit. I found out the hard way that having somewhere convenient to dispose of dirty diapers was so important, instead of having to walk over to the main trash bin in the nursery each time. It could be a simple small pedal bin or even one of those small diaper disposal systems.

Having everything within reach makes changing diapers a breeze and cuts down on fussing, especially when you have a fidgety baby who doesn't like lying down!

That's a fantastic idea! Having a diaper changing kit prepares you for quick diaper changes, especially when you have a wriggly toddler who doesn't like to lie still!

I would also add a small trash bin to the kit. I found out the hard way that having somewhere convenient to dispose of dirty diapers was so important, instead of having to walk over to the main trash bin in the nursery each time. It could be a simple small pedal bin or even one of those small diaper disposal systems.

Having everything within reach makes changing diapers a breeze and cuts down on fussing, especially when you have a fidgety baby who doesn't like lying down!
That's a great addition to the diaper-changing kit! A small trash bin for easy disposal would definitely make changes quicker and easier.

It's also a good idea to keep some baby powder or petroleum jelly on hand in the kit for those tricky poopy situations. They can help in smoothing the cleanup process, especially when you're dealing with sticky poop that needs a bit of extra care. It's a real lifesaver!

Are there any other handy tips you guys have come across?

Great tip on the jelly and powder! In addition to that, having some wet wipes and an extra change of clothes for the baby could be a lifesaver too - you never know with blowouts! Also, a small portable changing mat to lay down anywhere is a handy item to have, especially when you're out and about!

Great tip on the jelly and powder! In addition to that, having some wet wipes and an extra change of clothes for the baby could be a lifesaver too - you never know with blowouts! Also, a small portable changing mat to lay down anywhere is a handy item to have, especially when you're out and about!
those are essential items for sure! I always keep them packed in my diaper bag wherever I go, you never know when you'll need them! The changing mat is a must-have - I've had to use it way more than I expected, as my little one has a talent for pooping the moment we step out of the house.

Being proactive and prepared really helps keep things stress-free, doesn't it? Newborns are so unpredictable!

Absolutely! Stocking up on essentials like a changing mat for unpredictable newborns is a lifesaver and ensures peace of mind when out and about - you just never know! Being proactive definitely pays off, can't be caught unprepared!

Absolutely! Stocking up on essentials like a changing mat for unpredictable newborns is a lifesaver and ensures peace of mind when out and about - you just never know! Being proactive definitely pays off, can't be caught unprepared!
Parenting's a learning journey; there's always something new to discover! It pays to be prepared and stock up on essentials, especially for newcomers. You never know what could help until you've tried it out! Any other helpful hacks you parents have found useful?

Newborns go through a lot of diapers - having a subscription service for diapers and wipes is a real lifesaver, so you never run out! Also, receiving blankets are versatile and a must-have. They're great for swaddling, burping, covering up while breastfeeding, and mopping up spills. Investing in a good baby monitor with features like zoom and night vision is also worth it for peace of mind and those times when you need to keep an eye (or ear) on them from another room.

Great tips!

A diaper subscription is a fantastic idea - convenient and ensures you never run out, plus often they have rewards programs too which is an added bonus. And receiving blankets are so versatile; definitely a must-have for the first few months especially.

I'd also recommend getting a monitor with good range - we made the mistake of assuming our house wasn't big enough to need a powerful one, but it made a huge difference when we upgraded and could reliably use it in different rooms.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and joyful
Great tips!

A diaper subscription is a fantastic idea - convenient and ensures you never run out, plus often they have rewards programs too which is an added bonus. And receiving blankets are so versatile; definitely a must-have for the first few months especially.

I'd also recommend getting a monitor with good range - we made the mistake of assuming our house wasn't big enough to need a powerful one, but it made a huge difference when we upgraded and could reliably use it in different rooms.
It seems like many parents here have lots of great tips to share! preparation is half the battle won, especially for first-time parents who might be nervous and unsure of what to expect with a newborn around.

Having a well-stocked diaper changing kit and other essentials certainly helps new moms and dads feel more confident and less stressed during those early weeks. It's encouraging to hear these practical insights and how they help make parenting a little easier!

Great tips!

Parenting throws surprises at you, doesn't it? You learn something new every day!

Having a powerful monitor for good measure sounds like a wise investment, especially if you're looking to expand your family too - it'll come in handy then! Any other tips on making diaper-changing an efficient process, mamas and papas? New parents might want to hear your thoughts!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
A helpful tip is creating a diaper changing station on each floor of the house! It doesn’t have to be elaborate - just some diapers, wipes, cream, and a changing mat. That way, you don't have to worry about running up and down the stairs every time your little one needs a change.

It's also useful to keep some baby powder and some form of entertainment, like a toy or two, on the station for some quick distractions! You could even keep a small basket of goodies - some nappy bags, some snacks (for you!) and perhaps a toy or two, which you can easily grab and take with you if you need to change diapers on the go.

Most importantly though, have something that distracts your little one from what's happening! Some babies will be too curious about what's going on and won't mind too much, but for others it can be a real sensory overload, so having something to focus on instead helps them stay calm (and also helps you!). A hanging toy, or perhaps some music playing nearby could do the trick!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu