• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New Parent Hacks

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The suggestions provided by parents on simple ways to make rainy days enjoyable were very insightful:

- Keeping things simple yet engaging, like scavenger hunts or I Spy games, worked best for young kids with short attention spans. Bubble blowers and sticker books were also popular lightweight entertainment options that are easy to bring along.

- A car bin, filled with new and rotated toys, was a creative way to keep children entertained during longer trips. Having these special toys only brought out occasionally kept the excitement and novelty alive.

- Creating mini traditions and themed baskets for specific occasions added an element of surprise and made every rainy day special. Holiday-themed baskets were a fun way to teach kids about different seasons and cultures, making everyday moments more memorable and exciting.

Making the most of indoor days with young children can be challenging but incorporating some of these simple and thoughtful ideas can bring excitement and pizzazz to an otherwise mundane day!

Some of the best hacks I've found as a new parent include:

1. Burp cloths - keep a few large, thin, cheap towels handy. Fold them into quarters and drape over your shoulder for easy cleanup when burping baby. Much more effective and cheaper than dedicated burp cloths.

2. Baby Powder - in addition to traditional diaper changes, I keep some on hand to help with sticky situations like tar or gum stuck on clothes/hair, or even a greasy spot on the couch!

3. White Noise - apps on your phone can be a lifesaver for soothing an upset baby. I also sometimes use it to mask loud noises that might wake baby when I need to do laundry or run the dishwasher.

4. Diaper Changes - keep a small trash bag in your changing station for dirty diapers. It makes for easy disposal without having to walk over to the actual trash bin every time.

5. Onesies - cut the feet off of your babies onesies when they start to crawl! You still get the ease of the snaps, but don't have to worry about them slipping and falling on their faces as much.

6. Pacifier Cleaning - boil your pacifiers in the microwave for a quick sterilization solution that's faster than traditional boiling methods. Just be sure to let them cool before giving it back to baby!

What are some of your go-to parenting hacks?

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
These are fantastic!

I'd add:

7. Baby-led weaning - No need for fancy tools or gadgets, just give them soft finger foods like steamed veggies or fruit. Less mess and stress than traditional spoon feeding, plus baby learns important self-feeding skills.

8. Reuse old food pouches: Wash them out thoroughly and use them for storing purees you make yourself, or even as a makeshift ice pack by filling with water.

9. Ziplock bags for travel - great for keeping small toys organized, or even as a temporary diaper change station when on the go. Also good for wet swim gear.

10. Cloth diapers - fantastic as burp cloths, but also for mopping up milk spills, which seem inevitable! They're absorbent and easy to wash.

11. Infants love contrast: Black and white pictures/patterns attract their attention, great for homemade mobile or wall hangings without needing fancy toys.

12. Speech development - talk to your little one like they're having a normal conversation. Using full sentences, with clear enunciation, will help their language skills down the line!

So many hacks, so little time! These have made life easier for me, hope they help others too!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Some great tips there, thanks for sharing!

I've heard of baby-led weaning but wasn't sure about it - good to hear it worked for you. Less mess sounds like a dream!

The ziplock bags are a genius idea for travel - keeping things organised is a challenge. And I'm definitely going to try the black and white visuals trick; anything to keep them entertained without needing lots of expensive toys!

I'm also going to give my little one some more complex language from now on, very interesting about speech development.

Keep those hacks coming! Some people might think these things are obvious but often they're not - at least not until you've had a eureka moment like that!

I'm glad you found those tips useful!

The ziplock bags were a lifeline for us on our last holiday - keeping everything organised and accessible made such a difference, especially when you're trying to juggle so many other things too! And yes, the black and white trick is great isn't it? We had some great patterns on our phone backgrounds ready for when we needed some quick entertainment on the go.

It's amazing what grasps their attention at that age - keeping them stimulated can be as simple as giving them a cardboard box sometimes!

Anything else you guys got up your sleeve? Always looking for more ideas!

The easiest way to keep kids entertained is with easy accessibility—that's my main parenting hack! So agree on the bag organization; I also keep a well-stocked 'car bin' full of snacks and simple toys within easy reach for when we're out.

I also have a few inexpensive toys that only come out occasionally, so they maintain their novelty value . They're exciting enough to keep the kids entertained but not so expensive that it's the end of the world if they get lost!

Some other random ideas we've used:
– Scavenger hunts are great for outside or inside. You can make it easy and have them tick off things they find, or create a trail with clues.
– 'I Spy' is another good car or restaurant activity.
– A bucket and spade—not just for the beach! Great for sensory play in the sandpit or even the garden.
– For long drives, we play the alphabet game where you seek letters of the alphabet on signs.

Keeps getting easier with age as their interests develop, but those early years are definitely full-on!

Great ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt and 'I Spy' suggestions - easy to do and great for keeping little ones engaged.

I find keeping things simple yet novel works best for young kids. Some toys or activities that are a big hit with my toddlers include bubbles, sticker books, and anything with lights/sound effects!

The car bin is a fantastic idea - I might add some small toys and books in mine too to keep the back seat entertained on longer drives. And I totally agree about having a few inexpensive 'special' toys that only come out sometimes - saves the expense and hassle of constantly buying new things, and the excitement is real when they do make an appearance!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Keeping it simple is definitely the key! Toddler attention spans are short so little and often works really well, and anything that's interactive and keeps them engaged is great.

Bubbles and sticker books are such good calls - cheap, lightweight and easy to stick in your bag for when you're out and about.

I find the car bin a life saver for longer trips - it's amazing how long a few small, new toys can keep kids entertained! I usually rotate them every few weeks too so they stay interesting.

The special toys idea is a good one - my kiddo gets super excited when he sees his 'special' train set brought out every now and then - especially as he knows it means we have some quality time together coming up!

Keeping things simple is definitely key; I totally agree with you there! Bubble blowers and sticker books are such an awesome, lightweight entertainment option for toddlers.

The car bin idea is genius - keeping those new toys rotated and exciting is a great tactic! It's amazing how a few special toys kept back from the everyday can become such a treat. I do the same with my little one and her doll collection; brings a bit of novelty every time we pull them out!

Totally - keeping things simple and lightweight when you're a new parent can make a huge difference! Love the doll collection idea - it's amazing how something so small can become such a thrill. New toys are always exciting, especially when they're brought out infrequently!

• Love
Reactions: musical
I'm all about finding ways to make parenthood more enjoyable and manageable! The novelty of new toys doesn't wear off quickly when they appear rarely - plus, it's exciting for kids to have special things to look forward too!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
That is such a good point!! We often get caught up in the daily grind and overlook how exciting new things can be for them - and by extension, us too!! My little one loves it when I bring out her special toys only on rainy days or special occasions - it's like a mini celebration!! It really amps up the fun factor and makes those toys that much more memorable.

Reactions: travelmum
Creating excitement around certain toys for specific occasions is such a wonderful idea! It adds an element of surprise and makes every rainy day special, helping us appreciate these moments as parents too. I love how it adds a little extra pizzazz to indoor days and really makes those toys stand out. What other mini traditions do you have to keep things fun and memorable?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and musical
We love putting together themed baskets for our little one! For example, around Christmas time, we'll put together a basket with a holiday-themed book, some Christmas pajamas, a special holiday-themed craft, and perhaps a small toy or two related to the season. It makes each season special and gives us an opportunity to teach her about different holidays too.

On a regular ol' rainy day, we might pull out a basket filled with bubbles, a fun umbrella, and some adorable rain boots and coats to encourage jumping in puddles! It keeps things exciting for sure and the possibilities are endless - beach-themed baskets during the summer and campfire themes for camping trips too. The excitement on our daughter's face when she sees these special treats makes it so worth it!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
That is such a cute idea and a great way to keep things exciting for you all year round! I especially love the holiday-themed baskets - what a wonderful way to create traditions and special memories. And a great opportunity to teach about different cultures and celebrations too! You've put so much thought into it, and the possibilities are endless. Love the idea of having these readymade "kits" at the ready for different occasions!

Reactions: greenfingers
Thank you so much! I'm all about creating fun family traditions and making memories, and this has been such a fun way to do that. The holiday-themed baskets have been such a hit, and it's exciting to see the kids get so excited about the different themes. And you're right - it's a great opportunity to teach them about different cultures and celebrations, some of which they might not be otherwise exposed to. We've had so much fun putting these together and coming up with new ideas for the kits. It's such a special way to make everyday moments feel extra magical!

It sounds like you've found a wonderful way to create meaningful family traditions and make lasting memories! The holiday-themed baskets are an excellent idea, offering excitement and education all in one. It's incredible how these kits can bring the family together and expose your children to various cultures and celebrations. The sense of wonder and magic that these baskets evoke makes everyday experiences extra special. Your approach is thoughtful and intentional, so keep embracing those creative ideas! They clearly bring immense joy and value to your family's experiences.

Thank you so much! I truly believe that intentionality goes a long way with kids, especially with creating excitement for everyday things like holidays! My hope is that these traditions will continue to bring our family closer together and perhaps become lifelong memories. We have certainly been making some very special memories and having lots of fun too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu