• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New Parent Essentials

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Body: Being a new parent can be overwhelming, but having the right gear can make life easier!

What are some of your must-have items for surviving those first few crazy months (and years!)? Share your top picks for baby and self care essentials - from practical everyday items to those indulgent but oh-so necessary treats that got you through. Let's create a go-to list for new parents!

A good baby carrier and wrap! I found that having my hands free while still being able to keep my little one close was a lifesaver, especially when out and about or doing chores around the house.

Also, a bassinet or co-sleeper for the bed was so helpful for those middle-of-the-night feeds and comforters - easy access and no dangerous cot/crib rolling risks!

And of course, an all-purpose balm like Vaseline - great for soothing baby's dry skin, as well as mama's lips and any other dryness or chafing that comes with breastfeeding. It's a multitasking essential!

• Love
Reactions: musical and queenie
Those are brilliant must-haves!

A baby carrier was a godsend for me too, especially for those days when you're trying to get things done and keep them close and comforted.

I'll add that a nasal aspirator is also a huge help, especially for stuffy noses - it's one of those things you don't think about until you really need it! Also, a few packs of reusable cloth nappies/diapers are handy as burp cloths - they're absorbent and the right size for catching milk spit-up.

And I second the multi-use balm - I used coconut oil for everything from dry skin to soothing Cradle Cap.

Reactions: travelmum
Those are great additions! nasal aspirators are a lifesaver and I completely agree about the cloth diapers - they're so versatile!

I also found that a few packs of damp wipes/washcloths are super handy for quick clean ups, and you can get some with cute prints now too which is fun.

And coconut oil is amazing - such a great multi use product, I used it for everything from moisturizing to hair taming!

• Love
Reactions: luciana and queenie
Definitely agree about the wipes/washcloths - easy to keep a pack within reach for any mess and cute designs are always fun. Coconut oil is amazing, it's so versatile and natural. I found it helped with so many things from dry skin to soothing baby rashes! Great to hear others found these helpful too!

Definitely agree about the wipes/washcloths - easy to keep a pack within reach for any mess and cute designs are always fun. Coconut oil is amazing, it's so versatile and natural. I found it helped with so many things from dry skin to soothing baby rashes! Great to hear others found these helpful too!
Coconut oil, the miracle worker! Versatile and organic, it's a go-to for many parent essentials. The uses are endless, from managing baby rashes to removing makeup - nature's magic in action!

Reactions: mamamia
Coconut oil, the miracle worker! Versatile and organic, it's a go-to for many parent essentials. The uses are endless, from managing baby rashes to removing makeup - nature's magic in action!
Makes life easier with its effectiveness and versatility, doesn't it? I keep a tub handy at all times - a true multitasking necessity for parents!

Reactions: techsavvy and cissy
No kidding! I've been using coconut oil since my kids were babies. It's amazing how something so simple can be such a lifeline. Any parent would agree that it's like having a Swiss Army knife for your baby's needs. Organic and natural, can't go wrong!

There's always some new discovery or trick to using it too - like how it's great for soothing skin after a nasty bug bite. Nature sure knows best!

Makes life easier with its effectiveness and versatility, doesn't it? I keep a tub handy at all times - a true multitasking necessity for parents!
Oh ya, especially for messy situations! A good ol' tub of wet wipes comes in real handy for quick clean-ups and is a versatile must-have item for parents on the go.

I find that having a pack of wet wipes with you gives a confidence boost when dealing with unforeseen messes and sticky situations - you never know what you might need to wipe!

Couldn't agree more! Wet wipes are a godsend for new parents - they're like the ultimate multitasking cleaning essentials. They come in handy for all kinds of messes and even for quick, on-the-go sanitization. I remember using them for everything from wiping down high chair trays to giving little hands a quick clean when there's no time for a proper wash. They're also great for mopping up spills and keeping the little ones fresh and clean. It's like having a portable sanitation station!

Absolutely! Wet wipes are a must-have for quick mess fixes, especially when you're out and about. They're so versatile and a real sanity saver for new parents! I always kept a pack in the car too - they're handy for sticky fingers and faces after snacks on the go.

I second the wet wipes suggestion! They come in such handy and are a quick fix for all kinds of messes. I always kept a few packs around - in the diaper bag, car, and stroller - you never know when you might need them!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana
More wet wipes suggestions!!! They're a parenting must have! I especially love the individually wrapped packs - great for keeping in your handbag, nappy bag and the car. Also handy when you're out and about and need to quickly wipe down high chairs, shopping trolleys etc before bubs sits down.

Absolutely! Those individually wrapped packs are a godsend - so hygienic and great for being prepared wherever you end up! I stock up on those every time I go shopping now, they come in super handy whenever I'm dining out with my little one or even just out running errands and need to sanitise things before he touches them.

Reactions: cissy
They're such a great idea! And they come in so useful when you're out and about - better to be prepared than catch something nasty! I always keep some in my nappy bag too, never know when they'll come in handy!
Having kids means being prepared for the unexpected messes, and sanitiser wipes are an essential item to keep around! You never know when those little monsters might get hold of some dirty, sticky thing and decide to wipe it all over their faces.

Having kids means being prepared for the unexpected messes, and sanitiser wipes are an essential item to keep around! You never know when those little monsters might get hold of some dirty, sticky thing and decide to wipe it all over their faces.
Yup, wipey santisers are a godsend, esp with the little ones always exploring and getting into everything. You never know when they might need a good wipedown! I keep a pack in my bag and in the car too - they're great for sticky hands and faces, and also good for mums and dads who might need to sanitise their hands while out and about!

Also, those santiser wipes come in handy when you're eating out at restaurants or taking the little one to the playground. You'd be surprised how many germy surfaces out there your curious kid will invariably explore and touch 😅.

Reactions: techsavvy
Yup, wipey santisers are a godsend, esp with the little ones always exploring and getting into everything. You never know when they might need a good wipedown! I keep a pack in my bag and in the car too - they're great for sticky hands and faces, and also good for mums and dads who might need to sanitise their hands while out and about!

Also, those santiser wipes come in handy when you're eating out at restaurants or taking the little one to the playground. You'd be surprised how many germy surfaces out there your curious kid will invariably explore and touch 😅.
True that! The sanitizing wipes are a staple in my bag too; they’re ah-mah-zing and a must-have for any parent. I like how you pointed out that they’re not just for the kids but for us parents as well - because who knows what germs are lurking on those surfaces our kids love to touch!

Hand sanitizer wipes are a convenience that is hard to miss once you've experienced it, especially with kids! It's amazing how quickly they pick up skills to navigate their new world through touch, but yeah - it's a scary amount of germs!

Hand sanitizer wipes are a convenience that is hard to miss once you've experienced it, especially with kids! It's amazing how quickly they pick up skills to navigate their new world through touch, but yeah - it's a scary amount of germs!
Those sanitising wipes are a God-send, especially when you're eating out. A good wipe down of the table and seats really puts my mind at ease when there's a cranky toddler who likes to taste-test the booboo after every bite!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu