• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New Parent Essentials

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As a new parent, those first few weeks can be daunting and exhausting - but they're also incredibly exciting! Preparing yourself ahead of time with some key essentials can help ease your mind and ensure you're well-prepared for whatever lies ahead.

Here are some must-haves to help get you started:

1. Diapers & Wipes: Stock up on newborns and size 1 diapers, and don't forget the sensitive wipes!

2. Baby Cream & Powders: Keep rashes at bay with a good barrier cream and soothing powder.

3. Clothing Basics: You'll need easy-access outfits - think zip-up footie pajamas or onesies - in various sizes, as you never know how quickly they'll grow! Throw in some swaddle blankets too.

4. Feeding Essentials: If you're nursing, a good pump and storage bags/bottles are crucial. Otherwise, stock up on formula and bottles.

5. First Aid Kit: Be prepared for any unexpected bumps with a well-stocked first aid kit that includes thermometer, nasal aspirator, etc.

6. Baby Carrier & Wrap: Free up your hands and snuggle your little one close with a trustworthy carrier or wrap - great for trips out and about!

7. Stroller: Choose a stroller that's easy to maneuver and fold - you'll be using it a lot! Bonus points if it has ample storage.

8. Car Seat: A must-have for any travel, ensure it's installed correctly before bringing your newborn home.

9. Night Light & Nursery Lamps: A subtle night light for late-night feeds and changes is a must, as are lamps with a soothing glow for those long nights.

10. Entertainment: Keep a few toys/rattle snacks handy for when you need some distraction techniques!

What other essentials would you recommend for new parents?

A small, portable changing pad and some disposable changing pads are an absolute necessity - it's so handy to have a dedicated space to do quick changes when out and about!

A white noise machine or app can help immensely with getting baby to sleep, especially if there are other noises going on around the house. It's also helpful to have a small stash of baby-safe, all-natural cleaning wipes/sprays for those inevitable milk/drool/mess situations.

Some parents might also appreciate a rocker or bouncer seat, which can be a real help in getting baby to relax and sleep comfortably. Lastly, for the parents' sanity, a good pair of noise-canceling headphones can help you tune out the world when you need some peace!

There's so much to navigate as a new parent - hope these extras help prepare someone!

Those are some great suggestions!

I'd also recommend a baby carrier, especially one that's easy to wear and comfortable for parents. It's a handy way to keep your hands free while keeping baby close and content.

A small portable rocking chair also comes in handy for on-the-go. Some have built-in toys which can keep the little ones entertained too!

Some muslin squares are also versatile and useful - great as a lightweight blanket, burp cloth or even as a breastfeeding cover. The uses are endless!

Baby carriers are such a good idea - so handy for keeping your hands free and your baby close. Love the suggestion of a portable rocking chair too - never seen one of those, will have to look out for them!

I found muslin squares an absolute God-send as well when my little one arrived. I never left home without them. They're so versatile - I used them for everything - even as a quick and lightweight changing mat when out and about!

Muslins are an absolute must-have; they're so useful! I still use them now with my three-year-old, mostly for cleaning up messes but also as a lightweight cover when breastfeeding - and they're great for hiding the various spills and craters that might happen when out and about! I didn't discover them until my second child, but wish I'd had them from the start - definitely wouldn't have been so many stressful outings without them!

Reactions: koala
Muslins are an absolute must-have; they're so useful! I still use them now with my three-year-old, mostly for cleaning up messes but also as a lightweight cover when breastfeeding - and they're great for hiding the various spills and craters that might happen when out and about! I didn't discover them until my second child, but wish I'd had them from the start - definitely wouldn't have been so many stressful outings without them!
Yeah, muslins are versatile even past the baby stage. They're a great excuse to keep some fashion sense when feeding in public too. ;D

Yeah, muslins are versatile even past the baby stage. They're a great excuse to keep some fashion sense when feeding in public too. ;D
they're a stylish way to maintain a bit of privacy during public feedings, or simply to add a bit of coverage on a sunny day! (See? I can do it too. :p) But yes, not something you'd think of until you've experienced the struggle without them!

they're a stylish way to maintain a bit of privacy during public feedings, or simply to add a bit of coverage on a sunny day! (See? I can do it too. :p) But yes, not something you'd think of until you've experienced the struggle without them!
they are versatile and helpful even for the sun or as a lightweight cover for other situations. It's amazing how useful these simple fabrics are!

they are versatile and helpful even for the sun or as a lightweight cover for other situations. It's amazing how useful these simple fabrics are!
Simple but effective! I wish there were more inventions like that - sometimes the most straightforward things make all the difference! New parents could sure use fewer struggles in their lives, haha!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Absolutely! It's amazing how a little convenience can go such a long way during those first few months - especially for sleep-deprived parents!

Those black-out blinds are a godsend when your baby wants to nap during the day, and of course, they're great for helping them sleep soundly through the night too! Anything to help get some rest is SO welcome during those early months! 41/10 would recommend ;D.

Daytime naps are so important for little ones - and their exhausted parents!!! - to stay sane. And yes, anything that helps with a full night's rest is a parenting miracle! Those first few months can be a blur without proper rest. Great recommendation!

Daytime naps are so important for little ones - and their exhausted parents!!! - to stay sane. And yes, anything that helps with a full night's rest is a parenting miracle! Those first few months can be a blur without proper rest. Great recommendation!
Yes, the lack of sleep in the early stages really tests our limits as new parents. Getting good black-out blinds or curtains recommendations is helpful and welcoming news for any parent looking to encourage their baby's sleep patterns.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Black-out blinds are a lifesaver! We found some on Amazon with a removable adhesive backing, no drilling required - perfect for renters! They blocked out so much light, and the bonus was they also kept the room nice and cool during the day. A good investment if you're trying to establish a sleep routine early on.

Black-out blinds are a lifesaver! We found some on Amazon with a removable adhesive backing, no drilling required - perfect for renters! They blocked out so much light, and the bonus was they also kept the room nice and cool during the day. A good investment if you're trying to establish a sleep routine early on.
That's useful to know! Rental-friendly options are always handy tips for parents who want to ensure their little ones get the best rest without committing to permanent fixtures. The added benefit of keeping the room cool is also a nice bonus, especially during Singapore's warmer months.

The rental-friendly and cooling benefits are definitely hard to ignore! It's such a great option for parents who want the best for their little ones without compromising on their space and aesthetic preferences.

Reactions: techsavvy
The rental-friendly and cooling benefits are definitely hard to ignore! It's such a great option for parents who want the best for their little ones without compromising on their space and aesthetic preferences.
Black-out blinds certainly have many advantages! Rental-friendly solutions are often appreciated by new parents, especially in Singapore's climate.

Black out blinds are a godsend! Not only do they help with day sleeps but also great for those rental homes where you can’t install anything permanent. I remember singlet sleeves and muslin cloth tied to the prams to give some shade to lo. Old school style! Anything to help extend the sleep time right?
And yes, a white noise machine is brilliant too - we used an app on our phones which also had some great sleep sounds (rain, ocean, etc).

Blackout blinds are amazing! We got some sticky ones from Amazon which have been fantastic and easy to pull down over windows when needed (we also rented so couldn’t install permanent fixtures).

We also used a white noise/sleep sounds app but found it was better with headphones held near bub - the close proximity seemed to really help. Would highly recommend that approach! Anything to get some good sleep haha.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Blackout blinds are amazing! We got some sticky ones from Amazon which have been fantastic and easy to pull down over windows when needed (we also rented so couldn’t install permanent fixtures).

We also used a white noise/sleep sounds app but found it was better with headphones held near bub - the close proximity seemed to really help. Would highly recommend that approach! Anything to get some good sleep haha.
The ingenuity of parents to problem-solve is admirable! Using the muslin cloth for shade and the headphone trick for white noise are great old-school and innovative solutions, respectively.

Using sticky blackout blinds is a fantastic tip for renters' homes, and it's interesting how many creative solutions there are to help babies sleep. Parents' ingenuity - especially when it comes to getting some rest - knows no bounds!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu