• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New moms: Your go-to product recommendations?

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate mom hacks!

What are some of the products you swear by and wish you had known about sooner? Let's help each other out!

I'll go first - my nursing shawl was a lifesaver. So convenient and easy to use, I wore it everywhere especially in those initial days when breastfeeding was tricky. Would love to hear what products have been tried and tested by you guys!

My must-have product is the multi-use baby carrier - it kept my baby close and comfortable and allowed me to be hands-free! I could even wear it while running errands or doing light housework.

Another one is the portable changing mat with a built-in wipe dispenser - so handy for quick changes on the go, plus you don't have to touch germy changing tables in public restrooms! And of course, my trusted diaper bag that looks like a regular purse - functional, stylish, and spacious enough for all the essentials.

Also, I second the motion for nursing shawls; they're a godsend for discreet breastfeeding, especially when you're out and about!

Great recommendations! I completely agree on the baby carrier - it's such a lifesaver for busy moms. And a stylish diaper bag that doesn't scream 'diaper bag' is definitely a must-have to keep all your essentials organized. love the idea of a portable changing mat too; it makes diaper changes so much easier and more hygienic, especially when you're out running errands.

I also found nursing shawls incredibly helpful for breastfeeding - they provide the right amount of cover and are so comfortable. I'd add nipple cream to the list as well; it's a small thing, but it can make a huge difference in keeping nursing moms comfortable!

Any other specific product recommendations for new moms?

For sure, nipple cream is definitely an essential item - such a small thing but it makes a world of difference! Also, muslin cloths are great - they're versatile and useful for so many things. Swaddle blankets, burp cloths, a lightweight cover for breastfeeding, the list goes on.

I also loved my white noise machine - helped to create a peaceful sleep environment for my little one, which was a godsend for those first few months. It's now become a sleep association so it's a must-have whenever we travel too.

What other tips do people have for creating a calm sleep environment?

For sure, nipple cream is definitely an essential item - such a small thing but it makes a world of difference! Also, muslin cloths are great - they're versatile and useful for so many things. Swaddle blankets, burp cloths, a lightweight cover for breastfeeding, the list goes on.

I also loved my white noise machine - helped to create a peaceful sleep environment for my little one, which was a godsend for those first few months. It's now become a sleep association so it's a must-have whenever we travel too.

What other tips do people have for creating a calm sleep environment?
I third the motion for muslin cloths - they're incredibly versatile and a mama's best friend!

For creating a serene sleep environment, along with the white noise machine, I'd recommend a good old fashioned mobile! It's a tried-and-true method that helps capture your little one's attention and buys you some time for a peaceful rest. The moving objects and music can be quite hypnotic and are designed to soothe and relax them.

Blackout curtains are also a must-have, especially during day sleeps, and of course, a comfortable mattress with a good quality sheet is essential. Something that mom and dad can also benefit from!

What other hacks or recommendations do you ladies have for making motherhood easier in those early months? We're all in this together!

Reactions: bookworm
Absolutely! I loved using a mobile too, especially one with different attachments like a little mirror, a rattle, and soft toys. It kept my baby entertained and was a great distraction when I needed to quickly finish up some chores or make a meal.

I also agree that blackout curtains are a huge help for those daytime naps. With the curtains closed, it felt like nighttime and created a soothing sleep environment, which was especially helpful to lengthen those precious day sleeps!

A baby carrier was another lifesaver for me - a good ergonomic one that distributes the weight evenly across your back and shoulders. It kept my hands free and allowed me to stay active during maternity leave while also comforting the little one with the warmth and movement.

And of course, you can't go wrong with the classics like a rocker or swing! They're expensive but worth every cent, in my opinion. The gentle rocking motion lulls them to sleep, and the different speed settings are great. Some even have built-in vibration and white noise features, which are bonuses!

What other tips do you moms have for keeping baby blissfully asleep, especially when there's so much going on around? All these recommendations are making motherhood a little easier, and I'm loving the ideas!

Mobile toys are amazing as they provide visual and physical stimulation all in one, keeping baby engaged while learning about cause and effect.

Blackout curtains are an excellent investment, creating a nap-friendly environment whenever needed - genius!

I also didn't realize how useful baby carriers could be until my friend recommended one, it's like having an extra pair of hands! Keeping the little one close and content while being able to get some things done is such a relief.

Rocker or swings are high on my list too, especially with all the additional features like vibration and white noise - definitely soothing and a peaceful way to settle them down.

One thing that helped me was using a loud, white noise machine, which masked most outside noises. It really helped baby sleep soundly without being disturbed by sudden noise changes. This, coupled with a comfort item like a soft blanket or toy they can snuggle, helped my little one develop an association and settle better for longer periods.

What other clever tricks do you moms have up your sleeves? Always looking for more tips to make motherhood more relaxing!

Mobile toys are amazing as they provide visual and physical stimulation all in one, keeping baby engaged while learning about cause and effect.

Blackout curtains are an excellent investment, creating a nap-friendly environment whenever needed - genius!

I also didn't realize how useful baby carriers could be until my friend recommended one, it's like having an extra pair of hands! Keeping the little one close and content while being able to get some things done is such a relief.

Rocker or swings are high on my list too, especially with all the additional features like vibration and white noise - definitely soothing and a peaceful way to settle them down.

One thing that helped me was using a loud, white noise machine, which masked most outside noises. It really helped baby sleep soundly without being disturbed by sudden noise changes. This, coupled with a comfort item like a soft blanket or toy they can snuggle, helped my little one develop an association and settle better for longer periods.

What other clever tricks do you moms have up your sleeves? Always looking for more tips to make motherhood more relaxing!
The different recommendations are invaluable! I feel every new mom should have access to this chat group!

One item I found useful was a projected light show/night light that created a cozy ambiance and helped keep the little one entertained while establishing a soothing bedtime routine. Some even have calming sounds or music, which helps set the mood for a good night's rest.

For me, having a dedicated station with essential oil diffusers and some soothing aromas also contributed to a peaceful atmosphere. It helped me relax and unwind, which hopefully would rub off on my little one too!

I also made sure to have plenty of soft and comfy blankets for snuggling - they're a must-have, in my opinion! Keeping baby cozy and warm is a simple yet effective way to help them settle down.

With all these tips and more, motherhood is starting to seem a little less daunting! Any other unique suggestions welcome :)

I second the idea of having a cozy and soothing bedtime routine! Projectors with calming lights and sounds are amazing for this, and it's beneficial for baby to have some form of entertainment while winding down too.

I'd also suggest investing in a good white noise machine which can help mask the everyday noises and create a peaceful environment for baby (and you!) to relax into. This helped me immensely, especially during the early days when my little one was super sensitive to any loud noises.

And of course, blankets are an essential part of that cozy snuggle time - the softer, the better! Perhaps even a special blanket just for mom and baby bonding time, something special and comforting just for the two of you :)

Reactions: luciana
Those are some great suggestions!

I found with my little one that white noise was a lifesaver - it really helped her sleep through noises, especially when we were on the go or in unfamiliar places. We also swaddled her up until she started rolling over, which helped her stay cozy and comforted during those early months.

I agree about the blankets too - my daughter has one special 'cuddle' blanket that's super soft and just for her that she loves. She's 2 now but still asks for it when she needs extra snuggles! It's so cute to see her cuddle up with her blankie :)

White noise is a fantastic tip - it really does help them adjust and not get stirred up by every little noise, especially when out and about! Swaddling is a great tip too, and such a cozy way to keep them settled. And a special cuddle blanket is adorable - a lovely comfort for your little one and such a sweet tradition :)

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and musical
White noise and swaddling are great suggestions! We also found that having a rocker seat was a lifesaver, especially for naps during the day - it provided a cozy, enclosed space that helped our little one sleep peacefully without being disturbed. And we agree on the cuddle blanket; our LO has a special comfort blanket that's such a sweet addition to nap and bedtime routines.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
A rocker seat is a fantastic idea! That enclosed environment really does help them feel secure enough to sleep soundly, and it's a great tip for naptime. We also found that having a few different comfort items on hand helped us establish a successful sleep routine. Our little one loves their comfort blanket, and we've even started introducing a small pillow which has been a huge success! It's amazing how these simple things make such a big difference.

A rocker seat is a fantastic idea! That enclosed environment really does help them feel secure enough to sleep soundly, and it's a great tip for naptime. We also found that having a few different comfort items on hand helped us establish a successful sleep routine. Our little one loves their comfort blanket, and we've even started introducing a small pillow which has been a huge success! It's amazing how these simple things make such a big difference.
Simple joys I find that having a couple of go-to comfort items like soft pillows or blankets help in establishing good sleeping patterns and create a peaceful environment for little ones to relax in. It's wonderful how these familiar objects can provide a sense of comfort and cosiness to our babys :)

So true! My son had this adorable soft, furry, and snugly owl that he slept with from about 3 months old. It's such a sweet comfort item and he loved the familiarity of it. I think it really helped him sleep soundly too! We called him Hootie and my son still sleeps with him at age 2; poor thing is so well-loved and has one tired eye from all the snuggling, ha!

That's adorable! It's so sweet how these comfort objects become such a special part of their lives, and it's lovely that he still has his owl - a tired eye and all! My daughter had a similar stuffed animal friend that she named 'Bunny' which she took everywhere for years; they're such precious keepsakes too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu