• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

New moms Your go-to maternity product recommendations?

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your favorite discoveries!

What are the must-have, can't-live without products that got you through pregnancy and those early months with a newborn?

I'm talking about anything related to maternity and that new baby buzz — from clothing and comfort aids to nursery essentials and nursing must-haves. What worked well for you and what wouldn't you recommend?

Drop your recommendations and let's help each other out!

Reactions: doctormama
The first thing that spring to mind is a good pregnancy pillow, those long U-shaped pillows that support your bump when you're pregnant. They're a Godsend for getting comfortable at night and help you actually get some rest!

Also, a nursing shawl or cover - something lightweight and easy to drape over you that gives you privacy when breastfeeding. I found a two/three layer muslin square particularly useful for this too as it's so versatile - you can also use it as a burp cloth, light cover, etc.

For the actual nursery, I loved having a small sound machine or white noise device. It helped mask the noises of me tiptoeing around and trying to be quiet when the baby was asleep - plus it's a good way to soothe them back to sleep with a familiar noise!

And finally, something that helped me personally was a maternity belt. I had quite bad pelvic floor pain and this really helped take the pressure off and supported my bump too.

What are your go-to recommendations, ladies?

Reactions: eternity
Good calls on the pregnancy pillow and nursing shawl - those were lifesavers for me too! I'd also recommend a maternity support band - it helped ease the hip and pelvic aches and pains towards the end of my pregnancies.

Also, stock up on nipple cream and breast pads for breastfeeding - your nipples take a beating in the early days! Lanolin was my go-to after every feed for the first few weeks until things toughened up.

I found freezeable ice packs were also really helpful post-birth. You can put them in your postpartum pads or nappies to help with swelling and discomfort down there, or just pop them in your undies for some cooling relief!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Those are great calls! I found the maternity band especially helpful when the belly got big - really took the strain off my hips and lower back.

And yes, poor nipples! Lanolin and breast pads were my saviours too, although it can get a bit messy. Freeze packs are a genius idea for down there - anything to help with the swelling!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Maternity bands are a must-have; they took the strain off my back too and helped immensely with hip pain. I also swear by lanolin and breast pads - they're nursing essentials! And freeze packs were a godsend; I didn't think of them, but they're such a good idea for comfort after the birth.

Those are some great suggestions! I would also second the lanolin and breast pads - they're so useful for nursing mothers. Freeze packs are a brilliant idea and something that often gets overlooked! It's such a wonderful idea to help with comfort and recovery.

They really come in handy when your milk comes in hot and heavy! And you want to avoid leakage and stains, so definitely stock up on those breast pads!! And yes, freeze packs or cold compression packs are amazing for the first few days of recovery - they make a world of difference when you're sore and tender down there.

Breast pads and freeze/cold compression packs are definitely must-haves! I'd also recommend investing in some comfortable nursing bras - it's so important to have supportive and soft bras during this time. Also, if anyone is struggling with sore or tender nipples, Lanolin helped me a lot. Would love to hear other recommendations too as my maternity wardrobe could always be improved!

Some good maternity tights/leggings were a lifesaver for me - the kind with the extra panel over the belly. They're so comfy and helped me feel a bit more put together on days I didn't want to wear real pants. Also seconding the Lanolin for sore nipples! And a good maternity support belt helps with back pain, especially towards the end when everything hurts.

Reactions: stargazer
Great suggestions! I would add that a pregnancy pillow was a game changer for me - it helped me sleep so much more comfortably, and was a big help with back and hip pain too.

I also found that a maternity wrap dress were an easy and stylish wardrobe staple. They accommodated my growing bump and then worked well for nursing access post-partum too - bonus that you don't have to give them up after pregnancy!

Pregnancy pillows are amazing, I agree! I found that a maternity support belt also helped with the hip and back pain - it took some of the pressure off my Bump when walking around and meant I could stay active throughout pregnancy.

I'll have to remember wrap dresses for future - they sound like a great option for bump accommodation AND post partum, thanks!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Maternity support belts are a godsend for hip and back pain - they're highly recommended for taking the strain off your bump. You'll love wrap dresses too; they're bump-friendly and super stylish, plus they work postpartum as well!

Wrap dresses are a great option to dress bump-friendly and look stylish! I lived in those during my pregnancy, and it was so comforting to have a couple of go-to outfits that always made me feel presentable, even at 9 months pregnant! And yes to maternity support belts - I found one really helped me towards the end of my pregnancy with my second when the weight was really taking its toll on my back. Would also recommend those maternity pillows - they're a God send for feeding and getting comfortable at night!

Reactions: koala
Great tips! I'll add those wrap dresses to my shopping list, they sound so versatile and bump-flattering :) Haven't heard of maternity support belts before but they sound like a good idea especially for later on in pregnancy - will look into those too. And yes the pillows are amazing, I'm eyeing up some online now that I'll probably end up buying because comfort is everything!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
They're all really great to have and make motherhood a little comfier! Wrap dresses were my favorite - so easy to nurse in too which is a huge bonus right now :) I'm sure you'll love them! And the pillows are next on my list too - it's so exciting researching and buying all the things that'll make life easier, enjoy it!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Pillows are a great idea and so versatile! I also loved wearing wrap dresses before, during and after pregnancy - they're so flattering and comfortable and like you said, easy access for feeding is a huge bonus. It's such an exciting time researching and getting all the things you need - hope you're enjoying this special time!

MH_F24__B__MHB031971_001_4.jpg

• Love
Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu