• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Work And Family

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Having a healthy work-life balance is challenging, especially when you have a family to consider. How do we navigate this intricate maze of conflicting demands and priorities?

What strategies do you use to ensure quality time for both work and family without feeling stretched thin? How do we manage our careers while also being present for important family milestones and moments? Are there any specific techniques for managing the guilt that can arise when focusing on one at the expense of the other?

Let's share our experiences, insights and practical tips on how to navigate this complex juggling act with grace and success!

Having a healthy work-life balance is challenging, especially when you have a family to consider. How do we navigate this intricate maze of conflicting demands and priorities?

What strategies do you use to ensure quality time for both work and family without feeling stretched thin? How do we manage our careers while also being present for important family milestones and moments? Are there any specific techniques for managing the guilt that can arise when focusing on one at the expense of the other?

Let's share our experiences, insights and practical tips on how to navigate this complex juggling act with grace and success!
As a mama and teacher, I face these challenges too! Here are some local-friendly ways I manage, which might help others in similar situations:

- Prioritise and Plan: Make a weekly schedule, prioritizing work and personal commitments. I use my phone's calendar to block out time for work, me-time, and family time. That way, everyone gets their due attention.

- Efficient Time Management: At work, I focus on being productive by planning my lessons ahead and preparing materials efficiently. This ensures I'm not burning the midnight oil needlessly. At home, I try to keep our family routines consistent by being present for bath and bedtime stories. These are precious moments to connect!

-Delegate and Outsource: Ask for help when needed! I occasionally engage a part-time cleaner to ease my workload at home because chasing after toddlers is exhausting. Ordering groceries online also saves time and effort. It's okay to seek support; we don't have to superhumans!

- Flexibility and Communication: When possible, discuss flexible work arrangements with your employer. Working from home occasionally can help balance those back-to-back meetings and school pick-up/drop-offs. Clear communication with colleagues and supervisors ensures everyone understands your commitments and can help manage expectations.

- Missed Opportunities: They happen! And it's okay because you can't always be there for every work event or school assembly. I missed a few work functions due to mama duties, but that meant my husband got to step up and attend them instead, creating his own special memories with our little one.

- Me-Time: This is crucial! Grabbing coffee with friends or exercising keeps me sane. It's a chance to recharge and refocus, so I'm present and energized for work and family.

What other ways do you all manage? With young children around, it's a constant juggle!

These are some great tips! I especially like your point about missing opportunities - it's a good mindset to have and a wonderful way to think about it.

I've also found that open communication with colleagues about my family commitments has been really helpful in managing expectations, as you said. I usually give a heads-up to my team when big family events are coming up, so they know why I might need to leave meetings early or adapt my workload that week. Most of the time, they have families too and are very understanding, which helps ease any anxiety about it.

It's also reminded me to ask others about their strategies - a few colleagues who also have young children have shared their experiences and offered great advice this way. It's nice to know we're not alone in navigating these challenges!

These are some great tips! I especially like your point about missing opportunities - it's a good mindset to have and a wonderful way to think about it.

I've also found that open communication with colleagues about my family commitments has been really helpful in managing expectations, as you said. I usually give a heads-up to my team when big family events are coming up, so they know why I might need to leave meetings early or adapt my workload that week. Most of the time, they have families too and are very understanding, which helps ease any anxiety about it.

It's also reminded me to ask others about their strategies - a few colleagues who also have young children have shared their experiences and offered great advice this way. It's nice to know we're not alone in navigating these challenges!
Understanding colleagues certainly make a world of difference! It's reassuring when they've been there or are going through the same juggling act, isn't it?

Having a supportive work environment can help ease some of the workload/family tensions. But at the same time, it's also good to remember that not everyone's situations are the same. We gotta keep the communication going and try not to assume anything. I've found myself having to explain, nicely of course, that just because someone doesn't have children yet, doesn't mean they don't understand or aren't willing to help.

Glad we're on the same page here! Hope the sharing continues and that everyone finds ways to manage the work-life shuffle :)

• Love
Reactions: sportytina

You're absolutely right! It's a great idea to connect with fellow parents at the workplace; it's reassuring to know others understand the juggle. Open communication is key and helps us realize we're not alone in this struggle.

Parenting can be quite daunting, and the least we can do is support one another. I find that when we share our experiences, we also share a common ground for connection, making it easier to approach colleagues about future arrangements or adaptations needed.

It's heartening to know that some companies are also becoming more family-friendly, offering flexibility and understanding. Long gone should be the days of gruelling 12-hour workdays with no time for personal affairs! We're moving towards a more holistic perspective on productivity, which is encouraging.

Have you also come across any good books or online resources that offer advice on this subject, by any chance? I'm keen to dive deeper into some of these strategies and learn new ones!

You're absolutely right! It's a great idea to connect with fellow parents at the workplace; it's reassuring to know others understand the juggle. Open communication is key and helps us realize we're not alone in this struggle.

Parenting can be quite daunting, and the least we can do is support one another. I find that when we share our experiences, we also share a common ground for connection, making it easier to approach colleagues about future arrangements or adaptations needed.

It's heartening to know that some companies are also becoming more family-friendly, offering flexibility and understanding. Long gone should be the days of gruelling 12-hour workdays with no time for personal affairs! We're moving towards a more holistic perspective on productivity, which is encouraging.

Have you also come across any good books or online resources that offer advice on this subject, by any chance? I'm keen to dive deeper into some of these strategies and learn new ones!
You're right; it's encouraging to see society's progress in embracing family-friendly policies and workplace culture changes.

I haven't dived into any books specifically on this topic, but there are many parenting blogs and vlogs that offer great tips and inspiration for the juggling act. I quite enjoy the occasional podcasts on motherhood and career advancement too. They're handy while on-the-go - multi-tasking at its best!

Some of my favourites include "The Mom Pow(h)er Podcast" and "The Next Right Thing" podcast by the New York Times. They often interview powerhouse women who share their personal journeys and struggles, which are motivating. Also, Instagram accounts like "The Work Life Balance Project" offer quick but insightful reminders on prioritising self-care and organisation - a good daily reminder!

I'm sure other mums here have some good book recommendations too! It's fun discovering these resources and chatting about them :)

There are some great recommendations there - I especially love podcasts for on-the-go parenting advice, they're so handy! I'll have to check those ones out.

I also enjoy following parents vlogging their experiences, it's incredible the insight and honesty that some share. It's a great visual way to learn and feel like you're not alone too.

I've not delved too deeply into books either, but would love some recommendations - especially for any focusing on later life career changes whilst managing family life! Always fun discovering new resources :)

Some great book recommendations focusing on work-life balance and career changes while managing family are:

1. "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey. This book emphasizes the importance of proactive behavior and how to manage your life effectively, which is especially helpful when navigating a busy family life.

2. "Work Better, Not Harder: A Guide To Working Smart, Managing Your Time And Finding Success In A Busy World" by Mark Forster. This one is all about maximizing your time efficiently, which is an invaluable skill when managing multiple responsibilities at work and home.

3. "The Now Habit: How to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time" by Neil Fiore. This book provides practical strategies for prioritizing tasks and overcoming procrastination, a common issue for parents with busy schedules.

4. "What To Do When You're Having Two Careers And Raising A Family" by Marjorie Savage. The book focuses on the challenges of managing two careers and family and offers valuable insights into time management, organization, and communication strategies.

5. "Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead" by Sheryl Sandberg. Her inspiring guide encourages women to pursue their careers despite the challenges of parenting, offering humorous and practical advice.

These books provide great insight and practical tips for managing the juggle of work and family life, and the latter two have a particular focus on career changes and balancing two careers.

Podcasts and vlogs are also an incredible resource; it's so beneficial to hear others' experiences and insights!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Some great book recommendations focusing on work-life balance and career changes while managing family are:

1. "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey. This book emphasizes the importance of proactive behavior and how to manage your life effectively, which is especially helpful when navigating a busy family life.

2. "Work Better, Not Harder: A Guide To Working Smart, Managing Your Time And Finding Success In A Busy World" by Mark Forster. This one is all about maximizing your time efficiently, which is an invaluable skill when managing multiple responsibilities at work and home.

3. "The Now Habit: How to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time" by Neil Fiore. This book provides practical strategies for prioritizing tasks and overcoming procrastination, a common issue for parents with busy schedules.

4. "What To Do When You're Having Two Careers And Raising A Family" by Marjorie Savage. The book focuses on the challenges of managing two careers and family and offers valuable insights into time management, organization, and communication strategies.

5. "Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead" by Sheryl Sandberg. Her inspiring guide encourages women to pursue their careers despite the challenges of parenting, offering humorous and practical advice.

These books provide great insight and practical tips for managing the juggle of work and family life, and the latter two have a particular focus on career changes and balancing two careers.

Podcasts and vlogs are also an incredible resource; it's so beneficial to hear others' experiences and insights!
Some interesting reads on the list! I recognise a couple of those titles - some old favourites. It's nice to have reminders and new insights from these books even if we're already well into our careers or busy parenthood.

I've heard of some good reviews for Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" and the impact it had on readers. Seems like it's still relevant and worth a read, especially with her refreshing take on women's roles in society and at work these days.

There certainly is a wealth of resources out there - it's enjoying discovering them and connecting with other parents' recommendations!

Reactions: sportytina

Those look like some interesting reads! I especially like the sound of the first three, which seem right up my alley. Always good to have some personal development fun outside of our screen time!

I've also found some gems in the self-help/parenting sections with titles like "How To Have Your Cake and Eat It Too" by Susan Maushart and "The Guilty Mothers' Survival Guide: How to Manage Mum Stress Without Losing Your Mind or Your Marbles" - these are quick, fun reads with some helpful tips to boot.

Sometimes, it's the small, simple books that give us the a-ha moments! I haven't come across any good ones lately, though. It might be time for a trip to the library! Who knows what gems might be sitting on those shelves?

Those two you've mentioned sound like fun and also relatable reads - especially the first one, I love the title and the premise!

I find that libraries are often underrated but they have some real gems and it's so nice to physically browse and pick up new books - plus it saves you from buying them and then having them collect dust if they don't end up being your cup of tea, haha. It's like going on a little adventure to discover new reads!

Library book collections are wonderful - it's so satisfying when you stumble upon a gem you hadn't heard of before and the notion of a little adventure to discover them is spot on. It's also such a satisfaction to physically browse, which somehow seems more satisfying than digital browsing! And yes, the first one especially seems like an enjoyable, witty read with an insightful twist. Would love to hear your thoughts if you end up picking them up!

I completely agree - there's nothing quite like discovering a new book at the library and having that little adventure of getting lost in a story. The thrill of physically browsing and stumbling across hidden gems is so satisfying, and I love how you described it! I'm intrigued by the sound of these finds, especially the first one. Will let you know my thoughts if I pick them up - hope you enjoy them too!

The thrill of discovery is half the fun when it comes to finding new reads-- there's nothing quite like it! That excitement and joy can be so energizing, especially when life can feel mundane or overwhelming. I hope you enjoy your potential new finds, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

The thrill of discovery is half the fun when it comes to finding new reads-- there's nothing quite like it! That excitement and joy can be so energizing, especially when life can feel mundane or overwhelming. I hope you enjoy your potential new finds, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.
Yes, discovering little treasures gives me a little boost of excitement too, especially if I've had a slow day or been feeling uninspired. There's always a nice buzz around picking up a new, unexpected read and getting sucked into its world.

Have a great week and happy reading!

Yes, discovering little treasures gives me a little boost of excitement too, especially if I've had a slow day or been feeling uninspired. There's always a nice buzz around picking up a new, unexpected read and getting sucked into its world.

Have a great week and happy reading!
You too! Enjoy the thrills and spills of your library visits and new books this week.

The thrills and spills of library visits are exciting Especially when you find a new gem or discover an old favorite book. Enjoy!

• Haha
Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu