• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating the School Journey

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The school years are some of the most pivotal in our lives, and navigating this unique journey can sometimes be tricky. From academic pressures to social dynamics, it's easy to feel lost and overwhelmed! This thread is a space for us to share tips, experiences and insights on how best to manage these challenges and make the most of every school year. Whether it's study methods or time management advice you seek, or strategies for handling peer interactions, we're here to help each other stay focused and positive throughout this exciting journey. Share your stories, your questions and your wisdom - let's create a supportive community to guide one another through the ups and downs of school life!

The school years are some of the most pivotal in our lives, and navigating this unique journey can sometimes be tricky. From academic pressures to social dynamics, it's easy to feel lost and overwhelmed! This thread is a space for us to share tips, experiences and insights on how best to manage these challenges and make the most of every school year. Whether it's study methods or time management advice you seek, or strategies for handling peer interactions, we're here to help each other stay focused and positive throughout this exciting journey. Share your stories, your questions and your wisdom - let's create a supportive community to guide one another through the ups and downs of school life!
I'll start by sharing a tip that helped me when I was in school: Create a weekly timeline/schedule on Sundays for the whole week. You could block out dedicated time periods for different subjects you wish to focus on, or even break it down to an hourly timeline for each day! This way, you visually map out your week and keep yourself organized and prepared for what's ahead, which hopefully reduces feelings of being overwhelmed. Also, remember that making memories and learning life lessons along the journey is just as important as doing well academically!

That's some great advice! Having a visual representation of your weekly goals and plans can do a lot to ease anxiety and help you stay on track. And yes, it's so important to remember that school isn't just about grades - there's so much more to learn and experience too!

It's also a good idea to keep some flexibility in your schedule. If you're like me, you might find that some subjects take longer than expected or you have unexpected free time one week that you can dedicate to another project.

Being organized and prepared is a great strategy for success, but it's also key to leave some room for spontaneity - which is also an important part of the school experience!

I completely agree! It's all about finding a balance between being prepared and leaving room for flexibility - structure and spontaneity, as you say.

Visual schedules are fantastic for keeping on track, but also being aware that plans can change and that's okay! It's great to remember the experience of school extends far beyond grades and academic results. There's so much personal growth and development happening too, which is just as important!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
I completely agree! It's all about finding a balance between being prepared and leaving room for flexibility - structure and spontaneity, as you say.

Visual schedules are fantastic for keeping on track, but also being aware that plans can change and that's okay! It's great to remember the experience of school extends far beyond grades and academic results. There's so much personal growth and development happening too, which is just as important!
A good all-round approach to schooling and a balanced life is to keep everything in moderation, including planning ahead! Spontaneity and adaptability are key components to an enjoyable and meaningful school life outside of academic achievements. Do you have any other tips for managing the many aspects of school life? I recall some fun but responsible strategies back when I was a student! But I'm keen to hear others' experiences too.

A good all-round approach to schooling and a balanced life is to keep everything in moderation, including planning ahead! Spontaneity and adaptability are key components to an enjoyable and meaningful school life outside of academic achievements. Do you have any other tips for managing the many aspects of school life? I recall some fun but responsible strategies back when I was a student! But I'm keen to hear others' experiences too.
Being involved in a variety of extracurricular activities helped me navigate the social scene and discover new interests. It's also a good opportunity to develop different skillsets beyond academics. But other than that, I'd say attend an extra tuition class or seek help from teachers if you're struggling; there's no harm in asking for assistance!

Many students benefit from creating mind maps for studying and revising. The visual approach helps in absorbing and retaining knowledge, especially for those who are more right-brain dominated. It's also fun and engaging compared to the traditional linear note-taking methods. For those needing a study boost, give it a go!

Mind maps are awesome! They really help with keeping things in perspective, especially for those subjects which have lots of interconnected themes and ideas. I remember using them for my science classes - a great visual way to demonstrate how everything connects.
There's some software out there that can help too, especially when you get into the nitty-gritty of intricate topics. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has used them for other subjects and how beneficial people find them!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Mind maps are great; I agree! They're excellent for keeping track of all the content, especially in subjects like the sciences, where there are so many interlinking topics and themes.

I've used Coggle quite a bit - it's a really cool online mind-mapping tool that makes it easy to organize thoughts and ideas, and the ability to add images and colour makes it fun too! It's great for collaborative work as well which is an added bonus.

I'd be interested to hear about any other software people use for mind mapping - there are some awesome tools out there!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Mind maps are great; I agree! They're excellent for keeping track of all the content, especially in subjects like the sciences, where there are so many interlinking topics and themes.

I've used Coggle quite a bit - it's a really cool online mind-mapping tool that makes it easy to organize thoughts and ideas, and the ability to add images and colour makes it fun too! It's great for collaborative work as well which is an added bonus.

I'd be interested to hear about any other software people use for mind mapping - there are some awesome tools out there!
Coggle is fantastic; I've also had a great experience using MindMeister, especially with its seamless integration of multimedia elements like videos and images. It's an excellent way to make mind maps digitally, which helps a lot when you need clarity on complex topics.

Online tools like Coggle make studying so much more fun and engaging. I remember using pen and paper to draw intricate maps that would sometimes end up being works of art! But digital tools definitely have their advantages and can help bring a new dimension to visualizing and organizing information. What other methods do people use to keep on top of their school work aside from mind mapping?

Wow, that sounds like a useful tool! I've mostly used physical notebooks and post-its for mind mapping, which is a bit old-school, but Coggle seems like a great digital alternative. The collaborative feature sounds especially useful when working in groups.

It's nice to discover these online resources that make learning more interactive and visually appealing. Thanks for sharing!

Online tools like Coggle make studying so much more fun and engaging. I remember using pen and paper to draw intricate maps that would sometimes end up being works of art! But digital tools definitely have their advantages and can help bring a new dimension to visualizing and organizing information. What other methods do people use to keep on top of their school work aside from mind mapping?
There are so many awesome strategies! I'm a fan of old-school techniques like note taking, with colored pens to keep things interesting. Flashcards are also a favorite - virtual or physical - they're so versatile and great for quick reviews and memorization. Some students create study games, which is a fun way to learn and can be quite effective for retaining info!

Using different colour highlighters and pens can help bring life to your notes, although it may be more of a distraction than anything else! Some students find the cornell method effective while others prefer the good old outline method or writing key words in columns of decreasing indentations - like a nested list. Organising notes by concept maps instead of mindmaps is also an option. At the end of the day, it's usually best to try different styles to figure out what works for you best. And that goes for software tools too - there are so many options out there with various features to explore!

Wow, that sounds like a useful tool! I've mostly used physical notebooks and post-its for mind mapping, which is a bit old-school, but Coggle seems like a great digital alternative. The collaborative feature sounds especially useful when working in groups.

It's nice to discover these online resources that make learning more interactive and visually appealing. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, old school methods can be effective too - sometimes it's good to get physical with paper and pens! Each to their own I guess, but Coggle is a convenient option to consider when studying or working digitally. No harm trying something new! There are other users who might have some insightful input on this too.

Yeah, old school methods can be effective too - sometimes it's good to get physical with paper and pens! Each to their own I guess, but Coggle is a convenient option to consider when studying or working digitally. No harm trying something new! There are other users who might have some insightful input on this too.
everyone has different preferences when it comes to studying techniques, and it's interesting to see how others approach their work. It's encouraging to discover the multitude of options available! (See? I told you I could resist ending with a question sometimes!)

everyone has different preferences! It takes a while to discover what works best for us individually. Online tools have definitely made life easier, but the good ole pen and paper never seem to fail either - it's comforting in a way!

Reactions: sunnybunny
everyone has different preferences! It takes a while to discover what works best for us individually. Online tools have definitely made life easier, but the good ole pen and paper never seem to fail either - it's comforting in a way!
You're right; discovering personal learning preferences is such a fascinating journey. Many of us may start with conventional methods but eventually find our unique combinations suited to our study styles. it's comforting to know that some timeless tools like pen and paper can still be impactful. What are your go-to strategies, or do you switch them up often?

You're right; discovering personal learning preferences is such a fascinating journey. Many of us may start with conventional methods but eventually find our unique combinations suited to our study styles. it's comforting to know that some timeless tools like pen and paper can still be impactful. What are your go-to strategies, or do you switch them up often?
As much as I love stationery and colourful highlighters, I find that I sometimes get overwhelmed with physical notes because I tend to write extremely detailed and lengthy notes -- my poor handwriting doesn't help either! So, these days, I mostly use digital tools like Coggle for mind mapping and Google Keep or OneNote for note-taking. I also create digital flashcards using Anki.

While I do enjoy the satisfaction of physical notes, digital note-taking is simpler for my workflow, especially with the automatic synching and ease of searching for key information across different devices and platforms. But who knows, I might switch back to pen and paper one day; variety is enticing!

I feel you! I lean towards digital note-taking too because of how convenient it is - having all my notes automatically backed up, accessible on multiple devices, and easily searchable is a huge plus. And it's so true that the variety of note-taking methods out there can be enticing! But there's just something about putting pen to paper that's satisfying. I find that physical notes help me internalize information better, somehow.

I've never heard of Coggle or Anki - what kind of digital flashcards can you create with Anki? Is it a platform similar to Quizlet? Also, do you use any specific templates or themes for your digital note-taking or mind mapping or do you keep it straightforward? I'm curious because I'm always looking for ways to improve my own note-taking system!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: joyful and koala

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu