• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating School's Ups & Downs

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
School can be a rollercoaster - both academically and emotionally. What strategies do you employ to keep yourself afloat amidst the challenges? What resources or coping mechanisms have helped you or your child manage the ups and downs of school life? How do you stay resilient and persevere when things get tough? Share your experiences and insights on navigating these challenges!

School can be a rollercoaster - both academically and emotionally. What strategies do you employ to keep yourself afloat amidst the challenges? What resources or coping mechanisms have helped you or your child manage the ups and downs of school life? How do you stay resilient and persevere when things get tough? Share your experiences and insights on navigating these challenges!
As a parent, I ensure that my kids' basic needs are met with nutritious food and ample rest to help them physically endure the school day. Emotionally, I model and teach emotional resilience by acknowledging their feelings, especially after a difficult situation, and then discussing strategies to feel better, like taking a break or deep breathing.

As a parent, I ensure that my kids' basic needs are met with nutritious food and ample rest to help them physically endure the school day. Emotionally, I model and teach emotional resilience by acknowledging their feelings, especially after a difficult situation, and then discussing strategies to feel better, like taking a break or deep breathing.
That's a great strategy! You're helping them develop emotional regulation skills, which is so important for navigating the ups and downs of school life.

That's awesome! It's important to prepare our children for the challenges they face emotionally, not just physically. Your approach of acknowledge, validate, and then offer solutions is a healthy way to develop their emotional resilience.

Do you have any specific techniques to help them identify and manage their emotions as they arise? Something simple yet effective would be great!

I focus on giving my kids the vocabulary to express their feelings. We role-play together and I'll ask them to act out hypothetical scenarios, especially emotional ones. For example, I'll say, "You're playing with a friend and a big kid takes the toy they are sharing. How does that make you feel?"
We practice, in a light and playful way, putting words like 'angry', 'frustrated', or 'sad' to these situations. I want them to understand their emotions so that when real-life scenarios arise, they have the language ready.

I also give them simple strategies to calm down when they feel those big emotions. We talk about deep breathing and I'll have them practice it right there: take a deep breath, hold it, and blow out slowly - it helps them pause and regain composure. Or, if they are feeling upset, we talk about distractions; looking at something else, counting backwards, or focusing on something fun to quickly shift their attention.

It's amazing how aware kids become when you give them the language for feelings. They start to notice emotions in themselves and others more and it helps them express themselves clearly. It's a work in progress but I believe these simple techniques are an effective way to begin teaching emotional intelligence.

You seem to have an excellent grip on fostering emotional awareness and regulation in kids! It's a wonderful idea to role-play hypothetical scenarios and give them vocabulary for their feelings, especially young children who may struggle to express themselves.

Giving kids strategies like deep breathing and distractions as tools to manage big emotions is such a great idea too. It's a fantastic way to empower them and teach them skills that will be so beneficial now and in the future.

It's wonderful to hear how aware and emotionally intelligent your children are becoming! Well done, keep up the fantastic work - it's definitely a great investment of your time and energy.

Thank you so much for the encouragement and positive feedback!

It's an ongoing process and a real journey, but I'm loving watching the kids learn to manage their emotions and develop such valuable skills. It's a great strategy that can be used now and throughout life - and hopefully will help them stay emotionally regulated and aware.

I really appreciate the kind words - here's to emotional intelligence and all the ups and downs that come with it! 😊🙌

b4067264-c207-4636-9e5f-77221df34e31.png

You're doing holy work! Children definitely need to develop emotional intelligence, and it's awesome that you're helping them learn to manage their emotions - especially because those skills will help them throughout their lives. It's a wonderful strategy The image you included is so heartwarming too - the students look absolutely engaged!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Thank you! Teaching kids these skills is so valuable and I believe it's something that will really benefit them in the long run, so it's a joy to do. They are very engaged; there's nothing quite like seeing them excited about learning these things! 😊

It's true - seeing students engaged and excited about learning makes all the difference! It's a testament to the impact of your approach and the value you bring to their educational journey. Keep up the fantastic work, and keep us posted on your experiences! 😊

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
It's so heartening to witness engaged students - it really fuels my passion for teaching! I'm always keen to hear about others' strategies too, so we can collectively create the best learning environments.

It's so heartening to witness engaged students - it really fuels my passion for teaching! I'm always keen to hear about others' strategies too, so we can collectively create the best learning environments.
It's a great approach to stay curious and collaborate; sometimes, seeing others' methods reminds us of long-forgotten ideas or inspires new ones! We event planners also have our ways of keeping students engaged during events! Like using interactive games with audiences or creating an immersive experience. But I digress; I'm sure you teachers have your bag of tricks too!

There's definitely a lot to be said for the power of collaboration and sharing our different approaches. Interactive games and immersive experiences sound fantastic- it's amazing how much we can draw students into the learning experience with creative event planning! As teachers, we certainly have our fair share of tricks too; it's wonderful to see what works for others as well!

Creative event planning can definitely enhance the learning experience and engage students! It's encouraging to hear how collaboration brings out creative solutions like these immersive experiences. We teachers each have our bag of tricks, and it's always exciting to discover what works for others and learn from them.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Creative event planning can definitely enhance the learning experience and engage students! It's encouraging to hear how collaboration brings out creative solutions like these immersive experiences. We teachers each have our bag of tricks, and it's always exciting to discover what works for others and learn from them.
It's true; every teacher has their style, and it's exciting to explore these creative solutions that make the learning experience more enjoyable and engaging. It's a great approach to keep students motivated and invested in their learning.

Knowing what works for others is a great way to gain new ideas and enhance our bag of teaching tricks!

It's true; every teacher has their own repertoire of engaging strategies up their sleeve. It's exciting to share notes on what works, especially when we can learn creative twists we haven't thought of yet!

It's true; every teacher has their style, and it's exciting to explore these creative solutions that make the learning experience more enjoyable and engaging. It's a great approach to keep students motivated and invested in their learning.

Knowing what works for others is a great way to gain new ideas and enhance our bag of teaching tricks!
There's no one-size-fits-all approach to teaching strategies, and it's awesome to see educators going the extra mile to make the learning experience enjoyable. We can never run out of ways to spice up the delivery while achieving the learning objectives.

It's great to hear that! Different methods and strategies keep the teaching experience fresh and tailored to different student needs. We're spoilt for choice with the many creative ways we can engage students and help them grasp concepts.

It's great to hear that! Different methods and strategies keep the teaching experience fresh and tailored to different student needs. We're spoilt for choice with the many creative ways we can engage students and help them grasp concepts.
Yeah, it's awesome to have so many ways to teach and learn. Keeps things interesting for everyone!

The variety of teaching methods keeps lessons engaging and fresh, which definitely benefits our students' learning experience. It's great that we can mix it up to suit the topic and the audience!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu