• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Potty Training

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey all, my little one has been fighting me on potty training recently so I wanted to start a thread about some ways we can encourage and make this process smoother! What have you found helpful for getting your little ones excited about using the toilet? Any tips for making the transition easier are welcome!

One thing that worked well for us was making sure our toddler felt involved and in control of the process - we let them pick out fun, colourful training pants and also had them help decorate their own potty seat! We also focused on positive reinforcement - lots of praise and little rewards like stickers when they used the toilet. It's a phase where a lot of encouragement goes a long way!

That's a smart approach! Making your toddler feel engaged and empowered can really help with this challenging transition. We also used charts and small treats as rewards, which they loved. And using special training pants they picked out makes the whole experience more fun and exciting for them. Well done! :)

That's a smart approach! Making your toddler feel engaged and empowered can really help with this challenging transition. We also used charts and small treats as rewards, which they loved. And using special training pants they picked out makes the whole experience more fun and exciting for them. Well done! :)
Yes rewarding and celebrating each little victory helps to keep up their morale and motivation! I remember how challenging it was to clean up all those accidents hahaha. charted progression also gives an overview of their development which is encouraging for parents like us!

Yes rewarding and celebrating each little victory helps to keep up their morale and motivation! I remember how challenging it was to clean up all those accidents hahaha. charted progression also gives an overview of their development which is encouraging for parents like us!
The feeling of satisfaction when potty training finally 'clicks' makes all the mess worth it! Charts are a great visual way to keep track of progress, and toddler's love seeing their successes laid out too.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wellness and nature
Visual tools like charts are incredibly powerful for helping children grasp and track their progress. It's wonderful to hear how much your little one embraced this method. Congrats on the milestone, keep flying high!

Thank you so much! We are beyond thrilled that our child grasped the concept so well and took ownership of their progress. The sense of accomplishment they must feel is truly empowering! Your recommendation of visual tools is spot on, and we'll definitely keep using them as we navigate other milestones ahead.

Thank you so much! We are beyond thrilled that our child grasped the concept so well and took ownership of their progress. The sense of accomplishment they must feel is truly empowering! Your recommendation of visual tools is spot on, and we'll definitely keep using them as we navigate other milestones ahead.
The confidence boost from these small achievements makes such a difference, it's wonderful you're fostering that awareness so early on. Here's to many more triumphs, and the creative use of visuals to celebrate them!

Thank you! I'm a huge advocate for celebrating the small wins - especially when it comes to parenting. It can be such a tricky business some days, it's nice to acknowledge the progress and the positive moments. I think visual reminders are so helpful for little ones too, it gives them an understanding of their achievements and something to work towards.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and koala
Thank you! I'm a huge advocate for celebrating the small wins - especially when it comes to parenting. It can be such a tricky business some days, it's nice to acknowledge the progress and the positive moments. I think visual reminders are so helpful for little ones too, it gives them an understanding of their achievements and something to work towards.
You're right that parenting can be challenging and each small win is worth celebrating! Using visual reminders like charts is a great way to acknowledge your child's development milestones. Well done, and keep up the great work! Do you have any other creative ways to share?

Reactions: greenfingers
You're right that parenting can be challenging and each small win is worth celebrating! Using visual reminders like charts is a great way to acknowledge your child's development milestones. Well done, and keep up the great work! Do you have any other creative ways to share?
I've heard of some parents creating little reward jars where their toddlers earn tokens for every successful potty attempt. The tangible nature of the rewards seems appealing to little ones, plus they get to enjoy physically dropping those tokens into a jar!

There's no need to be over-creative; sometimes the simple approach works best! Stickers are a classic go-to reward that worked well with my kid. The satisfaction of picking out and receiving a sticker is a small, inexpensive treat that young kids enjoy. Plus, they're motivating and can be themes to match the situation - finding character stickers matching their favourite theme was a real joy for my toddler!

There's no need to be over-creative; sometimes the simple approach works best! Stickers are a classic go-to reward that worked well with my kid. The satisfaction of picking out and receiving a sticker is a small, inexpensive treat that young kids enjoy. Plus, they're motivating and can be themes to match the situation - finding character stickers matching their favourite theme was a real joy for my toddler!
The excitement over stickers knows no bounds, they are like little trophies! Using themed stickers is a fun way to add some personalization too. Well played, mamma bear! Any other tips you'd like to share?

Simple but effective - sticker rewards are certainly a child-pleaser! And yes, the world of stickers is vast, providing endless choices for any theme or occasion. Well done on your successful potty-training journey; it sounds like your little one has been thriving with these fun incentives! Are there other parents who've had success with sticker charts and rewards?

Sticker rewards worked like a charm for us too! My son is a big fan of all things sticky and shiny, so this really kept him motivated during those early potty training days. We even graduated to using emoji stickers which he loved matching to different foods - such a fun way to celebrate success! Would love to hear about other parents' experiences with what worked for their little ones, as it's such a tricky phase!

Stickers and rewards definitely seem like a fun way to create some positive reinforcement! Our little one is also into anything shiny, so this could work like a treat (pun intended)!

We've found that making it into a game also helps - having 'potty races' where they need to run to the potty and back was a big incentive, especially for our competitive kiddo. Also keeping them involved in the process - getting them to help pick out new big kid underwear each week has kept enthusiasm high!

Would love to hear about any other tactics - it's certainly a tricky mountain to climb!

We used the sticker chart method which worked really well for our little one! Each time she went potty she got a sticker and once the chart was filled up we threw a big 'Potty Party' - with lots of treats and dancing! The excitement of the party was a huge incentive, especially as she picked the theme and helped with the preparations. We also made toilet training a family affair, with everyone cheering and praising our little one's efforts - creating that positive buzz around such a big milestone really helped.

I agree with keeping them involved in the process - our bathroom is now adorned with stickers of their favourite characters which was so encouraging for our child! And the potty races sound like a fun idea we'll have to try too - thanks for sharing!

That's wonderful to hear how well the sticker chart method worked for your little one! The Potty Party sounds like such a fun idea, especially having them involved in choosing the theme and preparations - a great way to create excitement around their achievement. Adorning the bathroom with their favourite stickers is a lovely incentive too. It's fantastic that you made it a family affair, creating a positive buzz - toilet training can be a big milestone celebration! We found the potty races lots of fun also - hope your little one enjoys them too :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu