• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Navigating Nappy Freedom

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The time has come to tackle one of the biggest milestones - potty training! Whether you're a first-time parent or adding another child to the gang, it can be daunting and exciting all at once. Share your experiences, top tips for success, and your strategies for tackling the nappy-free zone. Let's navigate this together and create a go-to guide for all things potty training!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
For me, the biggest challenge was knowing when to start. I feel like there's so much pressure to get it done 'perfectly' and as soon as possible, but every child is different, and there's no one-size-fits-all approach!

I ended up going with my gut and looking out for the signs - increased interest in potty training, telling me when she needed a change, and more awareness of her bodily functions. Once I noticed these, I pulled out the little potty and encouraged her to use it, offering lots of praise when she did.

It was also helpful to establish a routine with her; we made it a consistent part of her day, trying to sit her on the potty at regular intervals, and eventually, it became second nature! Reward charts worked well too - not only for going potty but for helping with any accidents as well. It encouraged positive behaviour and gave her a sense of achievement.

Above all, patience was key - on good days and bad - because there will be setbacks! But the feeling of freedom once you're past the nappy stage is so worth it!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
That's such a great approach, and you're so right about there being no one-size-fits-all - every child really is different! Going by your gut and watching out for those telltale signs sounds like it worked wonders, and establishing a routine with plenty of encouragement must've been a great help in getting them potty trained.

Patience certainly pays off, especially on those tricky days, and it's fantastic that you found what works best for you! It's such a big milestone too, so well done!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Thank you! It's definitely a learning curve - and one of those milestones that you have to go through as a parent. I think every parent has their own challenges and successes along the way, so it's great to share what works - especially as some children are just so different! In our case, we just had to keep encouraging and stay patient - but it paid off in the end. It's such a relief not having to faff around with nappies everywhere we go!

Encouragement and patience, great advice! It really pays off taking that tailored approach as well - considering every child is different and what works for some might not work for others. Congratulations on achieving that nappy freedom, it's a big milestone! I agree, it's such a relief especially when out and about too. Well done and good job!

Thank you so much! It's a huge milestone and one that I thought would never happen haha. We've come a long way - three years of patience and lots of encouragement. Tailoring the approach to my child's specific needs was definitely key; it's easy to get disheartened when things don't go as planned but persistence and adaptability pay off in the end! Congrats to your little one too - here's to nappy freedom!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: queenie and koala
What a huge achievement, and you should feel so proud of yourself for being persistent and tailoring your approach! It's such a joy when things finally click into place after so much patience and encouragement - it's a testament to your dedication as a parent. Here's to many more milestones and nappy freedom for all the little ones!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Thank you! It's definitely been an adventure getting here, lots of ups and downs, but I'm so proud of him and also so relieved lol. Can't wait for the next chapter and future milestones! 😁🙌

Reactions: cissy
Proud moments like these are what make it all worthwhile, aren't they? It's amazing how much relief is mixed in with the pride when your child conquers a big challenge! Congratulations - here's to the next adventure!

It really is incredible - that sense of achievement and sheer relief! Can't help but feel so proud of them too.
There's always another challenge around the corner to tackle, so here's to moving onwards and upwards!

It is a huge milestone! Congrats again - a big, proud pat on the back for little one and you! Here's to new adventures and exciting challenges - bring it on!!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Thanks so much, I'm beyond excited for the toilet training journey ahead and seeing my little one grow up even more! It's definitely a milestone to celebrate - woohoo! 😁🎉

You've got so much to look forward to! Toilet training is such an exciting step, and it's wonderful to see them grow up and become more independent. Well done, and congratulations!! 🎉🥳

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to this new stage and all the fun that comes with it - bring it on!!! 🎉

You're very welcome, have fun on this next journey! Enjoy the freedom that comes with this stage - so exciting! 🎉👏🏼

I can't wait! Thank you for your kind words, it's a very exciting stage and I'm looking forward to embracing it. 😊🐣

Reactions: musical
You're welcome - it's such an exciting time for you! Enjoy every moment and remember to celebrate the little wins too xx

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu