• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Naptime tips for tired tots

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Naptime can be just as much of an art as bedtime, especially when your little one is going through phases or hitting those tricky developmental leaps!

Share your sanity-saving solutions here - what's worked for your tired tots and how do you create an inviting sleep environment to see them through the day? Do you have any clever strategies up your sleeve for those inevitable nap refusals or early awakenings? Let's pool our collective wisdom and help each other navigate those tricky daytime slumbers!

One thing that helped me was creating a calming pre-nap routine. Nothing too elaborate, but some simple steps like dimming the lights, putting on some quiet music and offering a favorite comfort item helped signal to my little one that sleep was approaching.

Also, I made sure to keep the room cool and dark - blocking out direct sunlight with thick curtains, which seemed to improve the quality of his sleep.

And for those days when he didn't want to nap (and would invariably protest!), I'd let him pick a few books that we'd read together quietly before naptime. It bought me some time to relax and helped him settle down too - sometimes even lulling him to sleep! It's a good way to engage them while also setting the mood for rest.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and eternity
One thing that helped me was creating a calming pre-nap routine. Nothing too elaborate, but some simple steps like dimming the lights, putting on some quiet music and offering a favorite comfort item helped signal to my little one that sleep was approaching.

Also, I made sure to keep the room cool and dark - blocking out direct sunlight with thick curtains, which seemed to improve the quality of his sleep.

And for those days when he didn't want to nap (and would invariably protest!), I'd let him pick a few books that we'd read together quietly before naptime. It bought me some time to relax and helped him settle down too - sometimes even lulling him to sleep! It's a good way to engage them while also setting the mood for rest.
Books and a calm, cool dark room. Also, acceptance that some days, a nap just won't happen despite your best efforts... so move on and don't stress over it - there's always tonight's bedtime!

That's true, sometimes no matter what we do, our little ones just won't nap. It's good to remember that it's not the end of the world and there's always an early bedtime to look forward too!

I find books work really well too - especially for some snuggly quiet time reading if they're not quite ready for sleep.

Books are a great idea! Some quiet, calming activities like colouring could also help relax them into an early bedtime when napping doesn't happen. It's definitely a good idea to have some go-to options up our sleeves for those days!

Calming activities are a great suggestion - keeping things quiet and slow during the pre-bedtime hours can really help tired toddlers (and parents!) wind down after a long day. We've found success with soft, soothing music too, and of course books before bed are always a win.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and queenie
Calming activities are a great suggestion - keeping things quiet and slow during the pre-bedtime hours can really help tired toddlers (and parents!) wind down after a long day. We've found success with soft, soothing music too, and of course books before bed are always a win.
Music - good idea to use as a calming tool. Speaker or playlists on devices hidden from sight so the little one doesn't get distracted.

Music - good idea to use as a calming tool. Speaker or playlists on devices hidden from sight so the little one doesn't get distracted.
So true! Music is a wonderful way to set a sleepy mood, almost like a subtle hypnotic. I've also found that using white noise or nature sounds can help too - there are some great apps with different ambient noises that are great for blocking out any distracting sounds. It's especially helpful when you're out and about or traveling, as it can mimic the comfort of home and help them settle anywhere.

Music and ambient noise apps are fantastic ways to encourage sleep. They provide a wonderful distraction from any external noises that might wake them up, creating a soothing atmosphere to drift off into slumber. It's an excellent tip for when you're out and about - a familiar comfort no matter the location.

Music is a great idea! I'm a big fan of using apps too - there are some great nature sound options available which help to create a soothing environment and block out unfamiliar noises that might otherwise disturb sleep. So simple but so effective!

Music and white noise apps are fantastic - creates a great ambiance for nap time and blocks out distracting noises. So many options too, from rainfall to ocean waves; it's a simple way to set the right calming mood!

White noise is a lifesaver, especially with all the different sounds you can choose from! We've found that having a variety of calm music also helps, and can switch it up if kids protest their usual nap tunes. A few songs they haven't heard before can capture their attention too, as an intro to the playlist.

White noise machines are amazing! We've also found success with creating a special 'naptime playlist'. Throw in some classical music, some singable tunes and even some nature sounds, and you have an eclectic mix to calm down for rest time. It's also fun to add in a few surprises - like throwing in some kids' yoga or meditation music. Anything to keep those little ears guessing!

Love it! We use a white noise machine too - also really helps at bedtime. I'll have to think of putting together a playlist - great tip! Adding some surprises like yoga or meditation music sounds fun, anything to make nap/rest time enjoyable and something to look forward to.

Yoga at nap time sounds like a fantastic idea! Music can really switch on relaxation mode. Surprise elements keep it exciting too. White noise is a great suggestion to add, especially for a peaceful transition into sleep after activities.

Those are awesome tips! I'm a big fan of incorporating music and surprise elements - it really sets the mood for a fun and relaxing naptime. White noise is a great way to create a seamless transition, especially after some high-energy activities. What other types of sounds or music do you guys use?

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Music choices are so subjective, but I've had great luck with instrumentals - currently digging some smooth jazz and classical. For surprise elements, I sometimes use fun sounds like ocean waves or bird songs. There's a lot of variety online and you can tailor it to the child's interests too.

Great idea! I'll have to try this. I've found that nature sounds are a hit, too - particularly for my little one who loves animals. Something about it feels very immersive and real. I think it helps them relax and imagine they're somewhere else, especially after a busy day.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum and cissy
Great idea! I'll have to try this. I've found that nature sounds are a hit, too - particularly for my little one who loves animals. Something about it feels very immersive and real. I think it helps them relax and imagine they're somewhere else, especially after a busy day.
That's great how you've incorporated your child's interests into the naptime routine! Using nature sounds is an awesome way to transport them into a different world and set their imaginations soaring. It's amazing how something so simple can make such an impact.

Thank you! I've always been a huge advocate of using all five senses when it comes to helping little ones relax, and this has definitely helped with our naptime routine. After a fun, engaging morning, hearing those nature sounds seems to really help her immerse herself into a deep slumber - almost like she's right there in that forest! It's also amazing how a child's interest can change so quickly - one week she loves the sound of the ocean, and the next she's all about the rain on leaves. So we mix it up!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: queenie and musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu