• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

My Child's School Journey

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm having some mixed feelings about my child's current school year, so I thought it would be great to share our experiences and get some feedback/reassurances from others who may have gone through similar stuff.

To give context, my child is in the second year of elementary school (so around 7-8 years old), but with covid restrictions still affecting certain aspects of their daily routine, there's been a need for schools to adapt teaching methods.

I recently met with their teacher, and it appears they haven't been adjusting well. We've discussed possible changes at home like ensuring they set aside dedicated time each day for reading and maths practice. However, the real challenge feels like making these homework assignments more enjoyable for them, as it seems like a chore. I've started to involve my child in planning out fun activities to make studying more engaging.

It would be lovely if we could exchange tips on how parents have handled similar situations or strategies you found helpful, especially involving kids making learning and homework a part of their routine without resistance. What methods work for you?

One thing that I've been doing to make homework more fun is creating "rewards menus" with my child. We set up a list of activities they can choose from , and every time they complete a certain amount of homework, they get to pick something off the menu.

It's been working really well so far! Not only does it give them something to look forward to, but it also encourages them to stay on top of their assignments.

I've actually found that making homework into more playful activities has helped with my own motivation. I started using a "homework survival kit" which includes things like fun pens, colorful paper, and even a favorite snack or two.

What are some of the menu options you've come up with for your child? Do they get to pick something small each time, like a sticker or small treat, or is it more significant rewards after completing bigger chunks homework?'

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
I've actually used a similar concept but with some variations depending on my child's interests. One favorite menu item of theirs is getting to choose the next book they borrow from our home library before starting their homework. It's a small gesture, but they love picking out something new and exciting.

Another one we've experimented with is 'Homework Dollars'. We have play money that they can earn for each completed set of homework or other tasks. These can then be saved up to purchase special privileges like staying up an extra 30 minutes past bedtime, having a friend over during the week, or even helping choose a family outing.

Lastly, sometimes we offer 'Homework Coupon Book' style rewards. This is where they get to choose between different coupons that we've created together, which are redeemable for various fun activities like going to the park, watching a favorite movie, having a DIY craft session, or even ordering their own favorite takeout food.

These have really helped make homework more exciting and manageable. Of course, it's also essential to strike a balance between making the experience enjoyable and still ensuring they understand the importance of their studies.'

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu