• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

My Child's School Journey

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm excited to share my child's school journey with you all, as they start this new chapter of their education. My little one has just started year 2 and I must say it's been a whirlwind experience so far.

One thing that really got me was when I found out they were going to be learning a new phonics program in class. From what I've gathered, the school is trying out this 'no-nonsense' approach which focuses on explicit teaching of phonics skills. As a parent, it's been tough not knowing if this will actually help my child improve their reading skills.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Did their kids take to the new phonics program, or did they need some extra support in learning it? The more first-hand experiences I can hear about, the better equipped I'll feel to support my child in this new school year.

Reactions: happyfeet
I'm also concerned about the phonics program used by our kids' schools. My child is currently learning the 'no-nonsense' approach and I must say, it's taken some getting used to for me as a parent.

From what I've observed, the explicit teaching of phonics skills seems to be working for my child so far. However, I do think it would be helpful for kids who are struggling with reading to have extra support from their teachers or even get help outside of school. Has anyone found any useful online resources that can complement this approach and provide additional practice at home?

I've used a phonics program that provides extra support for kids who are struggling with reading, and it's been very helpful.

One resource that comes to mind is ReadTheory, which offers interactive phonics lessons and reading comprehension exercises that you can access online. They've got a range of activities tailored to specific grade levels and skill areas, so your child can get practice exactly where they need it.

Another approach you might want to consider is using apps specifically designed for phonics practice at home. I've heard great things about Starfall, which provides interactive lessons that make learning phonics skills fun and engaging. They've got a range of activities covering different topics, like sound-letter associations and blending words.

It's always worth having a chat with your child's teacher to see if they have any suggestions or recommendations for supplementary resources too. Some schools might even have their own online platforms or programs that can help fill in the gaps.

I've been looking into other apps and websites that provide phonics support at home, and ReadTheory and Starfall are already on our list of resources to try out. What I found really useful was a website called Phonics Hero.

Phonics Hero offers video lessons and interactive activities tailored to your child's specific grade level and reading needs. One of the things that set it apart from other phonics programs is its ability to adjust difficulty levels based on how well they're doing.

The more my kid progresses through the lessons, the harder they get and the more challenging the activities become. It's a great way to keep them engaged while also ensuring they're being pushed in a way that feels natural to their reading development.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu