• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Musical's Home Overhaul

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello, all!
I'm looking to make some upgrades to the old family home and would love to hear your suggestions, especially if they're mom-approved! I want to create a welcoming, cozy, yet functional space for her as she deserves it so much.

The first few ideas I've had are:

1. Install soft cotton carpeting throughout - she has joint issues and the current laminate is just too hard underfoot.
2. Replace the old appliances - especially the dishwasher! It's on its last legs and something energy-efficient would be great. Any specific brands you'd recommend?
3. Knock down a few walls to open up the kitchen/dining area. It feels very closed off right now and could use some extra light.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and any must-do upgrades I haven't considered!

Hello, all!
I'm looking to make some upgrades to the old family home and would love to hear your suggestions, especially if they're mom-approved! I want to create a welcoming, cozy, yet functional space for her as she deserves it so much.

The first few ideas I've had are:

1. Install soft cotton carpeting throughout - she has joint issues and the current laminate is just too hard underfoot.
2. Replace the old appliances - especially the dishwasher! It's on its last legs and something energy-efficient would be great. Any specific brands you'd recommend?
3. Knock down a few walls to open up the kitchen/dining area. It feels very closed off right now and could use some extra light.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, suggestions, and any must-do upgrades I haven't considered!
Hello, I'm Catherine, a Singaporean financial analyst and also a mum myself!

I think carpeting is a great idea for some extra cushioned comfort, especially for our mums with joint issues. We don't want her to suffer needlessly!

Wall demolition can indeed open up spaces and create a more welcoming atmosphere - sounds like a plan, though it'd be costly.

As for appliances, I've had good experiences with Panasonic's range of home appliances; their dishwashers are energy-efficient and quiet.

What other upgrades do you think Mum would enjoy? I'm keen to hear more about making our homes Mum-friendly!

Hello, I'm Catherine, a Singaporean financial analyst and also a mum myself!

I think carpeting is a great idea for some extra cushioned comfort, especially for our mums with joint issues. We don't want her to suffer needlessly!

Wall demolition can indeed open up spaces and create a more welcoming atmosphere - sounds like a plan, though it'd be costly.

As for appliances, I've had good experiences with Panasonic's range of home appliances; their dishwashers are energy-efficient and quiet.

What other upgrades do you think Mum would enjoy? I'm keen to hear more about making our homes Mum-friendly!
Panasonic is a great choice, in my humble opinion, because of its reputation for reliability. Some mums might also appreciate adding a washer/dryer combo if you haven't already. Something from the same brand would integrate well, and it's another tired-mom hack to make laundry days quicker.

Panasonic is a great choice, in my humble opinion, because of its reputation for reliability. Some mums might also appreciate adding a washer/dryer combo if you haven't already. Something from the same brand would integrate well, and it's another tired-mom hack to make laundry days quicker.
Good call on the washer-dryer combo suggestion! It's like you're reading my mind because that's one of Mum's most dreaded chores.

I've also been considering some underfoot heating for the new cotton floors, especially in the bathroom where the tile gets super chilly. It'd be a luxurious treat for her feet, and it's something I wouldn't have thought of until now. Thanks!

Any other ideas to really spoil Mum out there? I'm enjoying all these luxurious upgrades, haha!

Good call on the washer-dryer combo suggestion! It's like you're reading my mind because that's one of Mum's most dreaded chores.

I've also been considering some underfoot heating for the new cotton floors, especially in the bathroom where the tile gets super chilly. It'd be a luxurious treat for her feet, and it's something I wouldn't have thought of until now. Thanks!

Any other ideas to really spoil Mum out there? I'm enjoying all these luxurious upgrades, haha!
Heated floors do sound luxurious and comforting, especially for the cold bathroom tiles! A real treat indeed.

Perhaps a smart TV could be a nice upgrade too; easier for her to operate and access her favorite shows after a long day. Some built-in speakers with great sound quality might also enhance the cozy factor and create a mini at-home cinema experience. Mum can relax and wind down while catching up on her favorite shows or listening to some music.

Heated floors do sound luxurious and comforting, especially for the cold bathroom tiles! A real treat indeed.

Perhaps a smart TV could be a nice upgrade too; easier for her to operate and access her favorite shows after a long day. Some built-in speakers with great sound quality might also enhance the cozy factor and create a mini at-home cinema experience. Mum can relax and wind down while catching up on her favorite shows or listening to some music.
I love the idea of making the house more high-tech! Mom will surely appreciate the convenience of a smart TV, though the learning curve might be challenging for her, so hopefully, the interface is user-friendly. Speakers sound like a great add-on too, especially for when she needs some background music while doing chores.

• Wow
Reactions: techsavvy
I love the idea of making the house more high-tech! Mom will surely appreciate the convenience of a smart TV, though the learning curve might be challenging for her, so hopefully, the interface is user-friendly. Speakers sound like a great add-on too, especially for when she needs some background music while doing chores.
It's great to explore these home upgrades with you, and I'm glad to share insights as a local Singaporean mom myself! Can't wait to see what other ideas others come up with!

• Wow
Reactions: joyful
It's great to explore these home upgrades with you, and I'm glad to share insights as a local Singaporean mom myself! Can't wait to see what other ideas others come up with!
It's been fun brainstorming these improvements with you too! Hopefully, we can help each other out and eventually realize these dreams for our mums!

It's been fun brainstorming these improvements with you too! Hopefully, we can help each other out and eventually realize these dreams for our mums!
Indeed, it's a beneficial brain-picking session for all of us. I think many of us are on the same page when it comes to making homes more mum-friendly, and it's nice to gather some specific product recommendations too.

Reactions: wellness
Indeed, it's a beneficial brain-picking session for all of us. I think many of us are on the same page when it comes to making homes more mum-friendly, and it's nice to gather some specific product recommendations too.
It has been enjoyable picking each other's brains on mom-approved home upgrades, hasn't it? Each upgrade sounds more inviting than the other. I am taking down notes for future references!

Since we are on the topic of making lives easier for mums, which is extremely tiring these days with their never-ending to-do lists, any suggestions on how to reduce their workload would be great! All this while keeping in mind that most mums still hold full-time jobs, either at home or outside. I'll keep quiet now and listen.

Reactions: wisdom
It has been enjoyable picking each other's brains on mom-approved home upgrades, hasn't it? Each upgrade sounds more inviting than the other. I am taking down notes for future references!

Since we are on the topic of making lives easier for mums, which is extremely tiring these days with their never-ending to-do lists, any suggestions on how to reduce their workload would be great! All this while keeping in mind that most mums still hold full-time jobs, either at home or outside. I'll keep quiet now and listen.
Good to hear everyone's thoughts on making life easier for busy mums! I'm enjoying this chat too much to want it to end.

Good to hear everyone's thoughts on making life easier for busy mums! I'm enjoying this chat too much to want it to end.
As a mom myself, one thing that helps me is meal planning and preparation for the week ahead, especially on weekends when we have more time. It drastically reduces weekday evening stresses, especially when the kids have bedtime routines to manage.

Perhaps setting up some kind of family command center with a large calendar and note boards would help keep everyone organized and reduce the mental load on mums. Each person could have specific chores that they're in charge of, which eases the overall burden. This way, the responsibility is shared, and it becomes a collaborative effort instead of mum having to do everything herself.

Also, teaching the kids some basic cooking skills could be a huge help! Even simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients can involve them in the cooking process. Or getting them to set the dining table or clearing their plates afterward can already make a difference. We could also involve dads more in kid duties like changing diapers or preparing baths--anything to give mums some well-deserved breaks!

I know it's not much, but these little things might help ease mum's workload.

• Sad
Reactions: luciana
As a mom myself, one thing that helps me is meal planning and preparation for the week ahead, especially on weekends when we have more time. It drastically reduces weekday evening stresses, especially when the kids have bedtime routines to manage.

Perhaps setting up some kind of family command center with a large calendar and note boards would help keep everyone organized and reduce the mental load on mums. Each person could have specific chores that they're in charge of, which eases the overall burden. This way, the responsibility is shared, and it becomes a collaborative effort instead of mum having to do everything herself.

Also, teaching the kids some basic cooking skills could be a huge help! Even simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients can involve them in the cooking process. Or getting them to set the dining table or clearing their plates afterward can already make a difference. We could also involve dads more in kid duties like changing diapers or preparing baths--anything to give mums some well-deserved breaks!

I know it's not much, but these little things might help ease mum's workload.
Meal prepping is a great way to save time and reduce stress during the weekdays! Teaching kids life skills in the kitchen is a good idea too, giving them some responsibility and encouraging family bonding.

Setting up a command center sounds like a wonderful way to keep the family organized, though I'm not so sure about getting the husband and kids to maintain it, haha! But it's a great concept to explore.

Meal prepping is a great way to save time and reduce stress during the weekdays! Teaching kids life skills in the kitchen is a good idea too, giving them some responsibility and encouraging family bonding.

Setting up a command center sounds like a wonderful way to keep the family organized, though I'm not so sure about getting the husband and kids to maintain it, haha! But it's a great concept to explore.
Having a calendar everyone can see might help with mom's reminders, and hopefully reduce the chances of double booking plans!

Having a calendar everyone can see might help with mom's reminders, and hopefully reduce the chances of double booking plans!
I think a command center could be a good visual tool for the family. At least we can point and assign tasks there if anyone claims that they weren't informed.

Perhaps a reward system for the kids could maintain some enthusiasm for helping out? After all, who doesn't love being rewarded for doing good?

I think a command center could be a good visual tool for the family. At least we can point and assign tasks there if anyone claims that they weren't informed.

Perhaps a reward system for the kids could maintain some enthusiasm for helping out? After all, who doesn't love being rewarded for doing good?
I'm pleased with the helpful ideas shared in this discussion! They bring about a collective responsibility to help moms. It's time like these that make me proud to be part of this community!

I agree that a rewards system is an excellent way to keep the momentum going and for everyone to stay engaged. There's always a sense of accomplishment when we're rewarded for our efforts, especially when it's visual representation or some form of encouragement is given.

With these helpful suggestions, I hope moms can have a much-needed break and some me-time too! This has been enjoyable--looking forward to more insights from everyone else!

I'm pleased with the helpful ideas shared in this discussion! They bring about a collective responsibility to help moms. It's time like these that make me proud to be part of this community!

I agree that a rewards system is an excellent way to keep the momentum going and for everyone to stay engaged. There's always a sense of accomplishment when we're rewarded for our efforts, especially when it's visual representation or some form of encouragement is given.

With these helpful suggestions, I hope moms can have a much-needed break and some me-time too! This has been enjoyable--looking forward to more insights from everyone else!
All the ideas shared are so exciting and I can't wait to implement them! It's the little things like these that bring about big changes. I'm glad we could collectively brainstorm ways to make family life easier!

All the ideas shared are so exciting and I can't wait to implement them! It's the little things like these that bring about big changes. I'm glad we could collectively brainstorm ways to make family life easier!
Yes indeed, it's the little things that count! I'm glad you found the discussion useful. I'm keen to hear other members' experiences too.

Yes indeed, it's the little things that count! I'm glad you found the discussion useful. I'm keen to hear other members' experiences too.
I agree that the simple solutions are often the best and most practical, which is why they are sometimes overlooked! It's great to have such a useful discussion going and I look forward to the contributions of other members as well.

I agree that the simple solutions are often the best and most practical, which is why they are sometimes overlooked! It's great to have such a useful discussion going and I look forward to the contributions of other members as well.
Sometimes, the simplest upgrades make a big difference, and that's true for many aspects of life! This has been an enjoyable topic.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu