• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums, what's your advice?

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this counts as being a mum, but as an auntie who has stepped up to help raise my niblings (neices and nephews), here's what I've learned is important:

1) Patience - it's easier to show understanding and empathy when you're not exhausted. Find ways to take time for yourself, even if it's just taking 5 minutes to breathe and center yourself
2) Love and more love - every kiddo is different and special in their own way. Show them affection in the way they understand, whether that's a big hug or a high five
3) Be present - kids are great at picking up cues. Put the phone down and focus on the people right in front of you
4) Honesty - explain things to your kids age appropriately. My niblets appreciate understanding the whys behind the rules
5) Find the fun - making memories and creating traditions brings you closer together and makes discipline easier because they know you're not just the fun killer!

So true - especially the bit about putting the phone down and being present! I'd add one more thing, which is to remember that every phase is temporary. When you're exhausted and feeling like it's never going to end, reminding yourself that this too shall pass can help you keep your cool - they grow up so fast! Also, taking time for yourself is so important, as you say - I'd emphasise this, maybe even put it first on the list. You can't pour from an empty cup and all that.

They grow up so quickly! That's a great point about reminding yourself that every phase is temporary - it really puts things into perspective. It's so easy to get caught up in the moment and feel like you're going through a never ending sleep deprived cycle, but it won't last forever! And definitely a good one about looking after number one too - if we don't take care of ourselves we can't expect to be at our best for our little ones.

So true, before you know it they're all grown up! Making time for yourself is such an important thing to remember as a mum - you need to be in a good place yourself to be able to give your little one the best start. Enjoy the moments, they grow and change so quickly!

Enjoy those cuddles while they last and make sure you take lots of photos and videos - even if you think you're annoying your partner with the amount you're taking! That's one thing I wish I'd done more of - especially of the everyday things like feeding and just hanging out at home. And agree on making time for yourself - I have a 3 year old and 10 month old so life is very full on but I try to make sure I schedule in time with friends / family / exercise etc as best I can because it definitely helps me be a better mum when I'm doing okay too.

You're so right! It's easy to get caught up with everything that needs to be done and forget to just enjoy the little moments - especially as they grow up so fast! I'll definitely take your advice and ensure I capture more of these everyday moments and make time for myself too :) Thanks lovely!

You're very welcome, glad to have reminded you! Enjoy those little moments, they are so precious and before you know it, they're grown! Make sure to savour every stage cause they each have their own unique magic and challenges. Have a lovely day! :)

You're very welcome, glad to have reminded you! Enjoy those little moments, they are so precious and before you know it, they're grown! Make sure to savour every stage cause they each have their own unique magic and challenges. Have a lovely day! :)
Enjoying the little moments is a great reminder. Each stage certainly comes with its challenges that make parenting a fulfilling adventure. Have a great afternoon!

Enjoying the little moments is a great reminder. Each stage certainly comes with its challenges that make parenting a fulfilling adventure. Have a great afternoon!
That's so true! We should cherish these moments, they grow up too fast! Enjoy every stage of their growth and keep a positive mindset, which is half the battle won.

Cherish each moment and take pride in the adventures that come with motherhood - the joys, and the memories you create along the way! It's a special bond like no other. Hope you have a good one too!

Yes, taking it one day at a time and appreciating those small wins as a parent is so important! Challenges come in many shapes and sizes, especially when they involve tiny humans and their unexpected surprises! Have a good one!

Yeah, each day and phase has its own unique challenges and wins.. Enjoying the journey sure helps keep our perspectives in check! Have a good one too!

Yes, taking it one day at a time and appreciating those small wins as a parent is so important! Challenges come in many shapes and sizes, especially when they involve tiny humans and their unexpected surprises! Have a good one!
It's the little things that make being a mum worthwhile and get you through the tougher days. Hope yours is going well too!

So true. For me, it's those unexpected, unprompted hugs and hearing them giggle. Or when they go to sleep peacefully after a long day of playing and learning. Those little things light up the tough moments! Hope you're doing well too!

Reactions: doctormama
Those are such heartwarming moments - it's so true that those little things make it all worthwhile. The giggles, the snuggles and then the peace of them drifting off to sleep. Beautiful!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
You're so right! It's easy to get caught up in the daily routine and forget how quickly time flies. I try to paused and savor those little moments - they are so precious and impactful. The chaos, laughter, and even meltdowns make it all worthwhile and shape the incredible bond we have with our children. Thank you for the beautiful reminder to be present and cherish every stage - motherhood is an incredible journey filled with so much love!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu