• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's the word!

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your best kept mum secret? You know, those hidden tips and tricks that make your life as a mum easier and your kids' lives better - we want to know!

Spill the beans on your savvy solutions to common parenting problems. Whether it's an ingenious way to get the baby to sleep through the night or a fun, mess-free activity for the toddlers, share your wisdom here! We'll all be grateful mums and our little ones will thank you too. So, let's hear it - what's your mum's the word?

One of my most valuable secrets is making sure I have an activity bag filled with mess-free, quiet activities for those inevitable moments when you need to keep little ones entertained - doctor's offices, restaurants, even just a peaceful moment at home!

My go-to trick is a 'busy box' filled with self-contained, educational toys that don't make a noise or create a fuss. Think of it as an arsenal of calm and quiet activities that can buy you some well-deserved me-time while keeping the little ones engaged. From reusable sticker books to magnetic drawing boards and quiet puzzles, these treats are my sanity savers!

This bag is a Godsend because it prepares you for those unexpected moments, plus it teaches kids to independently entertain themselves - win-win!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
That's a genius idea! Can you recommend specific toys that have worked well and are suitable for different age groups? I want to make sure I'm well-prepared with an arsenal of my own, because nothing's worse than a bored toddler in an unexpected situation!

Also, do you have any DIY or budget-friendly recommendations for the activity bag itself and the types of toys that work well? I'm thinking ahead to long car rides too - portable and compact is best!

quiettimeSQ-2022.jpg

Reactions: happyfeet
I second the recommendation to keep a busy bag on hand! My go-to, low-cost option for filling these bags is good old pipe cleaners – they’re inexpensive and versatile. I buy an assortment of colours, and toddler can twist, bend and poke them through things like colanders or plastic canvas. Pom poms are another cheap, lightweight filler for busy bags – colour sorting is a bonus activity!

For slightly older kids , I keep a stash of magnetic toys and books in my car for unexpected waits at the doctor's office or restaurant meals that are running longer than expected. The magnetic pieces stay put when the kids inevitably flick them across the table, plus they’re small and compact to store!

I've also had luck with reusable sticker books – the kind with the paper stickers that don't leave residue when peeled. Less mess is a big win in tight spaces like cars and restaurant booths! Sticker books with a colour- or story-based theme are especially engaging for my little ones.

For the bag itself, a small, lightweight, waterproof tote works well – easy to wipe down if spills happen, plus it keeps everything contained. I've seen some crafty parents make their own quiet books with felt and velcro, too; a cute, personalised option that doubles as a sensory toy!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Some great ideas here! I especially love the magnetic toys - haven't thought of those but they'd be brilliant for keeping the kids occupied without ending up in a million different places!

I've also found reusable sticker books good for a wide age range - the older kids often get stuck into them too which is an added bonus, and less arguments over who gets what!

Felt quiet books are new to me too - they'd be so engaging I bet! Might have to try making one this weekend!

Reusable sticker books are fantastic! They're so good for car trips and restaurant visits - we've even left them intact after a few meals out and it's like giving the kids a whole new book when we next visit!

The felt quiet books are amazing, too. There are some incredible ones on Etsy with different themes - numbers/counting, colours, matching games etc. Well worth the effort of making them if you're crafty, but even if you're not there's some lovely ready-made ones out there with beautiful fabrics and lots of interactive elements like zips, buttons, velcro etc that the little ones love learning to use.

Reusable sticker books - amazing! I've seen some with reusable stickers made from silicone too which are great for car trips as they're mess-free. Love the idea of quiet felt books too, especially ones with interactive elements like zips and buttons which help with their motor skills. There's so many great options out there!

Reusable sticker books are fantastic - a great eco-friendly option for little ones who love to stick and unstick! The mess-free silicone stickers sound like a real win when it comes to keeping car trips calm and enjoyable too.

Felt books are an excellent sensory experience with their soft, textured pages, and the interactive elements offer an added learning opportunity - great for those working on their fine motor skills and spatial awareness. It's amazing how educational some of these activity books can be!

There really are so many awesome options to choose from these days - it can almost make you wish you were a kid again!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
What great suggestions! Reusable sticker books are an amazing find, especially for little ones who like to peel and stick stickers all over the house! Felt books are also fantastic for little hands - the textures and interactive elements are a fun way to learn new skills. It's so lovely seeing the joy in children's books these days - and the educational aspect is such a bonus!

Reactions: joyful
Reusable sticker books are a godsend for moms, especially those with kids who love to stick stickers everywhere! Felt books offer a great sensory experience for children and are a lot of fun too. The joy on their faces as they explore these different textures and interactive elements is precious and makes the mess so worthwhile! Educational books are an amazing find too, that can teach them so many new skills - win-win!

• Love
Reactions: koala and happyfeet
Reusable sticker books are a lifesaver! My little one loves her felt storybooks and I love the education books - they're so engaging and perfect for learning new skills. The textures are such a fun sensory experience too; definitely a win-win situation!

Reusable sticker books are fantastic! My little one also loves the interactive and touchy-feely books with different textures to explore - they're so engaging and definitely great for sensory play and learning. The stories are captivating and it's wonderful to see them absorb all the new information!

Reusable sticker books are awesome - less waste, more fun! I find my toddler enjoys the sensory experience of those touchy-feely books too and it's adorable watching them explore the different textures while grasping the concepts. Interactive books are a great way to make storytime exciting!

Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu