• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums looking out for themselves

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
'Hi everyone, just wanted to start a thread where us mums can discuss looking after ourselves - because we work so hard that it's nice to take some time out for our own mental health and general well-being!

It'd be great to hear what people do to recharge their batteries and keep themselves sane - whether it's a hobby, an exercise routine or just five minutes peace with a cup of tea! What do you like to do?'

I love this idea for a thread! For me it’s all about exercise - I go running most days which really helps me clear my head and boosts my mood. Also, taking up painting again recently has been fun - finding new hobbies or reviving old ones is a great way to feel rejuvenated and like yourself again when you’re having some me time!

Exercise is a big part of keeping my sanity too - running especially as it's often my thinking time. I'm trying to get back into painting too but with a 1yr old and a 3yr old, finding the headspace for something like that is tough going! But you're right, taking some time to do something just for yourself is so important.

Exercise is a great outlet and I can imagine running would be a wonderful time for some alone headspace especially if you're able to get out without the little ones! Painting is such a cool hobby too - a very therapeutic and mindful activity, although I agree it's hard to find the energy and space to focus when the kids are around. I think it's so important we make that time for ourselves though isn't it - even if it's only 30 minutes here or there.

I completely agree, making some time for yourself is so important and can really help your mindset as a parent. It's easy to get sucked into the busy-ness of family life, especially with young kids! I find even just going for a quick walk or doing some stretching helps me feel better and the painting too - anything creative is a great outlet also.

Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! Self-care makes us better mums, yet it's so easy to forget with all the demands of parenting. I find taking that time also helps me feel more present and engaged when I am with the family - much better than getting burnt out. Painting is awesome, I should dust off my old art supplies!

Absolutely! Self-care makes us better mums, yet it's so easy to forget with all the demands of parenting. I find taking that time also helps me feel more present and engaged when I am with the family - much better than getting burnt out. Painting is awesome, I should dust off my old art supplies!
It's nice to have an activity you enjoy doing, like painting. It's a great form of creative expression and a reminder that us mums need some coloured fun in our lives too! It's a healthy distraction from the mundane and often chaotic routine we have as mothers.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Absolutely! We can sometimes get so wrapped up in our roles as mothers that we forget there’s more to us than that. Having a creative outlet is such a wonderful way of discovering yourself outside of motherhood and it's a healthy reminder that we can do and enjoy so much more! It's definitely needed amongst the chaos haha. What else do you like doing creatively? I love painting but haven't done much drawing in years, might have to get the pencils out again soon!

Absolutely! We can sometimes get so wrapped up in our roles as mothers that we forget there’s more to us than that. Having a creative outlet is such a wonderful way of discovering yourself outside of motherhood and it's a healthy reminder that we can do and enjoy so much more! It's definitely needed amongst the chaos haha. What else do you like doing creatively? I love painting but haven't done much drawing in years, might have to get the pencils out again soon!
I've never really considered myself artistic, but I do enjoy taking photographs. Especially in our beautiful nature reserves and gardens here in Singapore. There's always been a certain calming effect for me when I'm out taking snapshots of the greenery around us. It's a nice little adventure that brings me joy and lets me appreciate the beauty in the world, especially if I manage to snap a great shot!

It's easy to get immersed in motherhood and forget there's this whole other side to explore and express ourselves. Re-discovering these interests sure is a great pick-me-up!

Photography is a wonderful hobby, especially when you have such an amazing subject as Singapore's natural scenes! It's so true how discovering these little pockets of interest can lift our mood and remind us of our passions. I'm glad you've found this soothing outlet that also lets you appreciate the beauty around you - it's always refreshing to discover those hidden talents we never knew we had.

Reactions: sportytina
Photography is a wonderful hobby, especially when you have such an amazing subject as Singapore's natural scenes! It's so true how discovering these little pockets of interest can lift our mood and remind us of our passions. I'm glad you've found this soothing outlet that also lets you appreciate the beauty around you - it's always refreshing to discover those hidden talents we never knew we had.
I know right! Finding a relaxing hobby like photography allows us to uncover hidden talents and appreciate the beauty in the mundane - like Singapore's breathtaking sunsets and lush greenery. It's a wonderful reminder that healing can be found in simple pleasures.

Photography is a great way for mums to explore their passions and find relaxation amidst the beauty of daily life. Unraveling hidden talents and finding peace in something you love doing is such a refreshing experience, and it's encouraging to hear how it has impacted your life! I agree, there's so much beauty waiting to be captured, even right here in Singapore's streets and nature spots!

Photography is a wonderful art form that allows us to explore and capture the beauty around us. It is empowering to discover our passions, especially for mums who often juggle multiple roles. Finding an activity that offers peace and a welcomed change of perspective is a great way to recharge and pour that newfound energy back into our lives!

There's always so much to see and capture - it's a wonderful feeling when you can find inspiration right where you are, it opens up a whole new world!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Well said! It's so important for mums to have something that they're passionate about, which offers an opportunity to take some time to herself and engage in a fulfilling activity. Photography is an excellent way to do just that - there's always so much to uncover and learn, and the ability to capture and share the world around us is truly special.

It's inspiring to see other mums taking time to nurture their passions and finding enjoyment in the simple act of capturing moments through photography. It definitely opens up a whole new perspective!

I agree! We all benefit from having a hobby, especially one that enables us to find a sense of fulfilment and peace. It's awesome to see other mums embracing their passions - it's so important for our overall wellbeing.
Photography is such a great hobby because there's always a chance to learn something new; every shoot is different, and the creativity is limitless! Plus capturing those special moments is so rewarding.

Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu