• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Upgrades

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello upgrades!

Now that the kids are back at school, I've got time to finally make some changes around the house - it's all part of my autumn refresh plan. New curtains, soft furnishings and some much-needed storage solutions for the living room are on the agenda. Also looking at ways to declutter; any recommendations for a good cleaner/organiser that won't break the bank? I'm in the market for new appliances too - anyone got any must-haves or any they'd recommend avoiding?

What's everyone else currently doing/planning in their homes?

Reactions: cissy
Hello upgrades!

Now that the kids are back at school, I've got time to finally make some changes around the house - it's all part of my autumn refresh plan. New curtains, soft furnishings and some much-needed storage solutions for the living room are on the agenda. Also looking at ways to declutter; any recommendations for a good cleaner/organiser that won't break the bank? I'm in the market for new appliances too - anyone got any must-haves or any they'd recommend avoiding?

What's everyone else currently doing/planning in their homes?
For appliances, don't skimp on the vacuum cleaner. Get a good one, it makes a huge difference in terms of longevity and ease of use. I've had good experiences with Miele. Their products are efficient and low maintenance. As for clutter, a ruthless approach is best. Hire a cleaner for a day to help you get motivated, then maintain the momentum.

Reactions: eternity
For appliances, don't skimp on the vacuum cleaner. Get a good one, it makes a huge difference in terms of longevity and ease of use. I've had good experiences with Miele. Their products are efficient and low maintenance. As for clutter, a ruthless approach is best. Hire a cleaner for a day to help you get motivated, then maintain the momentum.
Yes, I agree with you on the vacuum cleaner! We got ourselves a Miele back in 2018 and it's still going strong. Looks and feels like new despite being used almost daily.

I'm actually quite particular about keeping things clutter-free because with two young kids running around, the last thing I need is for them to knock over some precious knickknacks! So, my rule is that if something breaks beyond repair, it either gets stored away or thrown away. No point keeping junk and adding to the mental burden, right?

As for hires, I've heard good things about the local company Ms. Detergent. Might give them a shot this weekend, thanks for the idea!

I second the recommendation for hiring a cleaner to help declutter. It makes a huge difference and is a good investment in getting the ball rolling. Also, vacuum cleaners are definitely worth investing in - I've found myself regretting cheaping out on them in the past. Thanks for the Miele recommendation; I'll look into it!

Yes, I agree with you on the vacuum cleaner! We got ourselves a Miele back in 2018 and it's still going strong. Looks and feels like new despite being used almost daily.

I'm actually quite particular about keeping things clutter-free because with two young kids running around, the last thing I need is for them to knock over some precious knickknacks! So, my rule is that if something breaks beyond repair, it either gets stored away or thrown away. No point keeping junk and adding to the mental burden, right?

As for hires, I've heard good things about the local company Ms. Detergent. Might give them a shot this weekend, thanks for the idea!
That's wise to invest in a quality vacuum cleaner; it's a worthwhile long term commitment. Miele certainly has great suction power and is a reliable brand.

I appreciate your rule on broken items - it's pragmatic and helps keep your home neat. Makes life easier for everyone!
Ms. Detergent sounds like an efficient local find. Let me know how it goes if you engage their services; always good to hear of trustworthy cleaners!

Reactions: nature
That's wise to invest in a quality vacuum cleaner; it's a worthwhile long term commitment. Miele certainly has great suction power and is a reliable brand.

I appreciate your rule on broken items - it's pragmatic and helps keep your home neat. Makes life easier for everyone!
Ms. Detergent sounds like an efficient local find. Let me know how it goes if you engage their services; always good to hear of trustworthy cleaners!
I will let you know how it goes with Ms Detergent - looks like they're quite popular online!

On another note, I'm also changing the lighting fixtures in the kids' rooms. Currently considering LEDs. Any recommendations for a good brand or types to avoid?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu