• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Upgrades

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Forum: Home and Lifestyle

My mum recently decided to spruce up her place, and I thought I'd share some of her plans for a mini home renovation. She's got some great ideas to upgrade her space without breaking the bank!

1. Fresh Coat of Paint: Starting with a blank canvas, she's going for neutral toned walls throughout the house. It's amazing how a fresh coat can brighten up the place and create a cohesive look.

2. Floor Refresh: She's swapping out the old, worn-out carpets for laminate wood flooring in a warm tone. It gives a nice, modern feel and is easier to maintain than carpet.

3. New Lighting: LED downlights in the ceiling and some statement lamps are on the agenda to give a more contemporary feel.

4. Kitchen Makeover: New countertops and backsplashes to give a sleek, polished look. She's also adding some open shelving for a more spacious feel and to display her fancy cookbooks.

5. Bathroom Renaissance: Replacing the old fixtures with modern, sleek alternatives and adding some spa-like touches like a rainfall showerhead.

6. Multipurpose Space: Creating a flex space that can double as a home office/guest room with smart storage solutions.

7. Curb Appeal: Updating the front entrance with a new door, some potted plants, and exterior lighting to give the house a welcoming vibe.

I'm excited to see the transformations! Any other mums out there with some cool upgrades planned or completed? Share your stories and inspiration!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Great ideas! It's amazing how some of these cost-effective makeovers can completely transform a space.

The painting, flooring, and lighting upgrades are awesome and create such a fresh base to build on. And we love the sound of the multi-purpose room - so practical and a great use of space!

Can't wait to see the end result, hope your mum shares some pics when it's all done!

Thanks so much! Yeah, it's really surprising how much of a difference those little changes can make - especially on a budget.

I agree, the multi-purpose room is such an exciting and creative idea - it's going to be amazing having all of that extra space to utilise too.

I'll definitely ensure to pass on your well wishes and tell her to get snapping once everything is complete!

Thanks so much! Yeah, it's really surprising how much of a difference those little changes can make - especially on a budget.

I agree, the multi-purpose room is such an exciting and creative idea - it's going to be amazing having all of that extra space to utilise too.

I'll definitely ensure to pass on your well wishes and tell her to get snapping once everything is complete!
Your excitement is contagious! A multipurpose room can be flexible and fun to design. It's a great way to utilize space efficiently, especially for families with children who constantly outgrow their needs. The added benefit of natural light from the large window will make the room bright and inviting too.

It'd be great to see some before, during, and after photos. I'm sure your friend will appreciate the encouragement. :)

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
Thank you! I'll make sure to snap some photos soon - we've got some plans for the space but they're not final so it's a work in progress.

The room currently serves no real purpose - it's just an odd space that's neither here nor there, so we figured multi-purpose is the best way to make use of it and give it some function. We have big plans for that window too - some beautiful plants and a cozy seat to enjoy the view. It's exciting to envision!

Thank you! I'll make sure to snap some photos soon - we've got some plans for the space but they're not final so it's a work in progress.

The room currently serves no real purpose - it's just an odd space that's neither here nor there, so we figured multi-purpose is the best way to make use of it and give it some function. We have big plans for that window too - some beautiful plants and a cozy seat to enjoy the view. It's exciting to envision!
That sounds like a wonderful way to utilize the space and add some greenery and natural views to your home. Potted plants can really spruce up a room and create a soothing atmosphere.

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
That sounds like a wonderful way to utilize the space and add some greenery and natural views to your home. Potted plants can really spruce up a room and create a soothing atmosphere.
Ya, I'm thinking of something low-maintenance since I'm not exactly blessed with a green thumb but want the aesthetic and health benefits of having plants around! Can't go wrong with nature. I love the idea of bringing the outdoors in.

Low-maintenance plants like devil's ivy, also known as money plant, are a great option! They thrive indoors and require very little care - even if you forget to water them occasionally, they'll survive. You could also consider fake plants, which have come a long way aesthetically and can look extremely realistic.

Great suggestions! I especially love the idea of devil's ivy - it's such an easy plant to care for and it adds a nice touch of nature to any space.

Fake plants have come a long way; sometimes it's hard to tell the difference! They're a fantastic option for those who want a hassle-free way to improve the aesthetic of their homes, especially if they're placed in a well-lit area.

Fake plants look so real these days! And they are such a low-maintenance way to bring some nature into the home. I've found that having a few potted plants around really brightens up the space and improves its ambiance, especially if you go for some trailing ones like devil's ivy. You can get some great ones these days too which change colour depending on the season!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Fake plants really are amazing nowadays; you'd be surprised at how realistic some of them look! I've heard of people being convinced by fake plants until they touched them! It's incredible how far the quality has come.

They're also such a great, hassle-free way to bring some life and colour into the home, especially if, like me, you struggle to keep real ones alive! I love the idea of going for some trailing ones that can add a bit of movement and fluidity to a space - it's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference.

The seasonal change is also such a fun feature - it adds an element of excitement and surprises you every few months with a different hue!

They really are! I'm thinking of getting some fake hanging plants - the kind that drape down from a high shelf or ceiling. The realistic ones would look so effective when hung at different levels, it almost feels like you're in a jungle! You could easily create quite an impactful feature without any of the hard work or maintenance.

I like how you can theme them too for seasons - like some bright spring flowers, or deep green foliage in summer, and then perhaps some oranges and reds for autumn. They'd look so cosy in the colder months, a lovely way to keep the place feeling fresh and ever-changing!

That's a fantastic idea! I love the vision of creating different themes with the fake hanging plants. It's an excellent way to bring in some seasonality and keep the space feeling fresh and lively without the hassle of maintenance.

The realistic options these days are astounding; it's easy to create an impressive and lush visual impact with them. And a huge bonus is being able to swap them out easily for each new season!

That's a fantastic idea! I love the vision of creating different themes with the fake hanging plants. It's an excellent way to bring in some seasonality and keep the space feeling fresh and lively without the hassle of maintenance.

The realistic options these days are astounding; it's easy to create an impressive and lush visual impact with them. And a huge bonus is being able to swap them out easily for each new season!
Yes, it's remarkable how realistic artificial plants have become nowadays. The quality upgrade in the past few years is evident, especially with the advancement of technology trickling down to consumer products. It's refreshing to have a hassle-free way to bring some green into our homes without committing to high-maintenance real plants.

It's fun to think about the different themes one could create! Perhaps a whimsical under-the-sea theme with fake hanging seaweeds and colorful fish, or an enchanted forest with mischievous fairies among the leaves. The possibilities are endless, and it's an exciting project to embark on.

It's also a great way to involve the little ones, getting them to help decorate and keeping their spaces fun and educational. fake plants are a kid-friendly option, safe from curious hands that like to explore!

Artificial plants offer endless creative possibilities! I love the themes you've suggested - an under-the-sea or enchanted forest theme sounds delightful and full of fun. It's an imaginative way to bring life and colour into the house, especially if you have curious little ones who love to explore. The high-quality fake plants these days are so lifelike that it's hard to tell them apart from real ones. And it's exciting to decorate and involve kids in a safe and engaging project!

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm thrilled with the idea of an under-the-sea theme, especially since it's an easy way to involve my kids and spark their imagination. The vibrant colours and imaginative decor will brighten up our home and keep their curiosity afloat.

I never thought of artificial plants - but you're right, they'd make it so much easier without the hassle of maintaining real ones! I'm sold on the idea and off to find some realistic looking faux greenery now.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm thrilled with the idea of an under-the-sea theme, especially since it's an easy way to involve my kids and spark their imagination. The vibrant colours and imaginative decor will brighten up our home and keep their curiosity afloat.

I never thought of artificial plants - but you're right, they'd make it so much easier without the hassle of maintaining real ones! I'm sold on the idea and off to find some realistic looking faux greenery now.
Artificial plants these days look so real, it's crazy! You won't want to go through the trouble of maintaining real ones later. Have fun shopping!

Fake plants are lifelike now! I love how convenient they are - no need for watering or special care, and they look amazing. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yeah, these new realistic fake plants are a godsend for someone like me who loves greenery but has zero green fingers! My kids also love helping me pick and decorate with them - it's becoming an ongoing project finding new spots around the house to add some faux nature!

Yeah, these new realistic fake plants are a godsend for someone like me who loves greenery but has zero green fingers! My kids also love helping me pick and decorate with them - it's becoming an ongoing project finding new spots around the house to add some faux nature!
Faux-nature is an excellent way to involve your kids in home decorating, teaching them about plants and letting them enjoy the fun of having pets around the house without the fuss.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu