• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Upgrades

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm looking to make some changes around the house, particularly upgrades that will help make life easier for my mum who's getting on in years. She struggles with basic things sometimes so I want some simple yet effective solutions - preferably DIY ones!

Any ideas or recommendations for practical and functional home upgrades are welcome!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I'm looking to make some changes around the house, particularly upgrades that will help make life easier for my mum who's getting on in years. She struggles with basic things sometimes so I want some simple yet effective solutions - preferably DIY ones!

Any ideas or recommendations for practical and functional home upgrades are welcome!

Here are some simple DIY upgrades that can help make a home more senior-friendly:

1. Replace traditional door knobs with lever handles, which are easier to grasp and operate.
2. Install motion sensors for lighting in dark areas like hallways or the space under the kitchen sink. It's a handy feature for visibility and safety.
3. Add non-slip grip tape to bathtub/shower floors and tap on smooth tiles for better traction. Also consider installing grab bars for extra stability.
4. Convert standard light switches to motion-activated ones, especially near stairs for easy access in the dark.
5. Ensure all passages are well lit and consider night lights with automatic sensors for bedrooms and bathrooms.
6. Upgrade to smart locks for keyless entry - a handy feature when returning home with arms full of groceries! PIN-based or smartphone-controlled locks are modern and secure.
7. Layout changes: Consider clearing the pathway to the essential areas, especially the bathroom. Move any unnecessary furniture to create a safer and wider passage.
8. Add a seating area near the entrance for shoe changes and a place to rest when putting on/taking off outdoor gear.
9. Install a hands-free kitchen faucet for easier operation, useful when cooking or washing up with slippery soapy hands!
10. Consider a pull-out treadmill; it's a space-efficient way to exercise, which can help with mobility and is fun for the whole family!

These changes can make a home more elderly-friendly and also add convenience and comfort for all family members. What upgrades would you like to do first and why?

Great ideas here! Especially loving the motion-activated light switches and hands-free faucet - such a convenience!

I'd also like to add Grabber Reachers to the list. They are so useful for picking things up without bending or stretching too far, and can help avoid a lot of accidents. Also, a simple but effective upgrade is adding some bright sticky tape around light switches to make them easier to spot and operate for those with vision impairments.

I think I'd start with the lighting upgrades first - motion sensors and night lights - for the safety aspect, especially near stairways and bedrooms. Then maybe the kitchen faucet for added convenience. The layout changes would also be high on my list to create a safer passage through the home.

These are fantastic suggestions!

The grabber reachers are so helpful - especially for those who have difficulty bending or stretching. They can also help reduce the risk of falls which is a big concern.

Upgrading the lighting is a great safety measure, especially around high-traffic areas like stairways and hallways leading to bedrooms. Motion sensors and night lights will help navigate safely at all hours without the hazard of tripping in the dark!

These are fantastic suggestions!

The grabber reachers are so helpful - especially for those who have difficulty bending or stretching. They can also help reduce the risk of falls which is a big concern.

Upgrading the lighting is a great safety measure, especially around high-traffic areas like stairways and hallways leading to bedrooms. Motion sensors and night lights will help navigate safely at all hours without the hazard of tripping in the dark!
Motion sensor lights are a lifesaver for late-night toilet/feeding sessions, and eliminates the need to turn on blinding bright lights too!

Motion sensor lights are a lifesaver for late-night toilet/feeding sessions, and eliminates the need to turn on blinding bright lights too!
That's a brilliant idea! Motion sensor lights are a handy upgrade, especially with kids around. I've been considering adding some in our hallways and the nursary too. It's a real life saver when you're staggering half asleep into the loo or soothing a fussy kid at all hours.

The last thing you want is to blind yourself with a sudden blast of full brightness, or fumble around trying to turn on a switch. Having the lights come on gently as you step out of bed would be so convenient. Plus, it's a good safety feature too - not tripping over random toys left in the dark is always a plus!

Do you have any recommendations for particular models that are easy to install and reliable? I'm all for anything that makes life easier at night with the little one running around.

Yeah, night sensory lights are a great idea, especially in the middle of the night when you're half-asleep and fumbling your way through the house. You'd want to avoid tripping over any toys or stumbling down the stairs - those lights would definitely help with navigating around the house safely. I've had my fair share of near misses!

Those night sensory lights have become an absolute essential for accident-prone folks like me - the last thing you want is to go tumbling down the stairs while trying to get the kids settled back in bed! They're a brilliant and practical addition to the home, especially if your mum has any mobility issues or needs assistance navigating through the house during those late-night check-ins.

Sensory night lights are a fantastic idea! They definitely add a layer of safety and also give a comforting sense of guidance, especially for navigating through dark hallways and stairs. It's a great solution to prevent any late-night accidents and also adds peace of mind for mum's with mobility challenges. A very practical upgrade and one that probably doesn't get appreciated enough!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
They're incredibly helpful, aren't they? I installed some LEDs along our hallways and near the stairs after my mum had trouble getting up in the night for feeds - it was a life saver! We've also added some motion sensors for added convenience - and peace of mind. Well worth the investment and so easy to install too.

LEDs and motion sensors sound like such a great idea! We're definitely going to look into these upgrades soon; it's impressive how much a few simple changes can help around the house at night.

Those little changes really make a big difference! They create such a cozy and functional space, especially with the added convenience of not having to fumble around in the dark. LEDs are a fantastic option too since they're energy-efficient and have such a long lifespan.

Reactions: travelmum
Those little changes really make a big difference! They create such a cozy and functional space, especially with the added convenience of not having to fumble around in the dark. LEDs are a fantastic option too since they're energy-efficient and have such a long lifespan.
LEDs are a great investment, and it's amazing how some simple upgrades can make a space more functional and comfortable!

Good to hear your mum is considering some home upgrades! LEDs really make a difference - we replaced all our old bulbs with energy-efficient ones a few years back and noticed an immediate improvement in our electricity bills. They've got such a long lifespan too, which saves on costs down the line! Also adds a nice modern touch to any space.

Good to hear your mum is considering some home upgrades! LEDs really make a difference - we replaced all our old bulbs with energy-efficient ones a few years back and noticed an immediate improvement in our electricity bills. They've got such a long lifespan too, which saves on costs down the line! Also adds a nice modern touch to any space.
LEDs are a great way to reduce energy consumption and lower those pesky electricity bills! We changed our main living areas to brighter LEDs which made a huge difference in ambiance too - almost feels like a different house!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
The feeling of 'a different house' is such a cool benefit on top of the reduced energy consumption and lower bills - a win-win! What colour temperature did you go for? Any other changes planned for the near future?

The feeling of 'a different house' is such a cool benefit on top of the reduced energy consumption and lower bills - a win-win! What colour temperature did you go for? Any other changes planned for the near future?
My husband and I chose a soft, cozy warm white LED lighting. It's like having your own little sanctuary with a tranquil and cozy vibe - a great mood setter!

We also changed the flooring from old school marble tiles to a warmer and textured wooden laminate which gives a homey feel, especially for our little one tottering about. It's safer too, as it has more grip and is a bit softer to fall on if she takes a tumble.

Maybe in the future, we'll look at getting those smart home gadgets everyone's raving about to take things up a notch. But for now, we're enjoying our snug little nest!

That sounds so cozy and lovely! You've made some amazing choices there.

We also went with wooden laminate for our living room and it made such a huge difference - so warm and inviting.

The lighting makes all the difference too, especially for creating ambiance. Good choice!

It's fun to daydream about future upgrades, but sometimes it's nice to just appreciate the cozy nest you've already created.

Thank you so much! It's amazing how something like wooden laminate can completely transform the feel of the place. I agree - it's so inviting and warm underfoot, it just makes the whole room cozy.

I'm a huge believer in ambiance too; we went with some statement lights my dad helped us pick out. They're gorgeous and really set the mood.

It is fun to dream about what's next but also nice to appreciate what we've achieved - I'm very proud of how our little nest is coming along!

Thank you so much! It's amazing how something like wooden laminate can completely transform the feel of the place. I agree - it's so inviting and warm underfoot, it just makes the whole room cozy.

I'm a huge believer in ambiance too; we went with some statement lights my dad helped us pick out. They're gorgeous and really set the mood.

It is fun to dream about what's next but also nice to appreciate what we've achieved - I'm very proud of how our little nest is coming along!
The little touches really do make a big difference, don't they? Pride in your own achievements, especially when it comes to crafting a cozy home, is the best feeling!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu