• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Upgrades

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi all, thought I'd share some recent changes I made around the house - it's been a fun (and much needed) little project! Found some great bargains and unique pieces which really upgraded our family home.

First up was revamping our old couch - recovered & restyled, looks brand new! Also added some fun throws and cushions for a pop of colour.

New light fittings throughout the main living areas have also made a huge difference. Really opens up the space and gives it a modern feel.

Any other mums out there with some sneaky home upgrades to share? Love to hear about them!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Well done on the couch makeover - it looks brand new I've been thinking of doing something similar but hadn't dared take the plunge, might have to now though - what a difference!

I also love the idea of new light fittings, a great way to update the feel of a space. Can you link me the ones you chose? I'm very interested in something similar to brighten up our lounge.

Good on you for giving your home a little TLC, it's so nice to have some changes around the house!

Well done on the couch makeover - it looks brand new I've been thinking of doing something similar but hadn't dared take the plunge, might have to now though - what a difference!

I also love the idea of new light fittings, a great way to update the feel of a space. Can you link me the ones you chose? I'm very interested in something similar to brighten up our lounge.

Good on you for giving your home a little TLC, it's so nice to have some changes around the house!
I actually got them custom-made by this local artisans shop - real woodwork of art. But they unfortunately don't operate online :/ They really understood my vision and created something special - very happy with how they turned out!

That's awesome, it's always great to support local artisans and have a unique piece made exactly how you envisioned it!

Reactions: koala
It is! I'm really excited about the one-of-a-kind pieces we'll be incorporating into the design. Supporting local talent and seeing your unique vision come to life is always awesome. Can't wait to see what the new home will look like with these special additions.

• Love
Reactions: lioness and mamamia
It's so rewarding to support local artisans and incorporate their unique pieces into a design vision - it makes every home so much more special and personalised. I'm excited to witness the transformation!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
It's so rewarding to support local artisans and incorporate their unique pieces into a design vision - it makes every home so much more special and personalised. I'm excited to witness the transformation!
It's a satisfaction that makes the effort so worthwhile. The memories of seeking the perfect piece from local artisans and witnessing the transformation never gets old whenever I embark on a home improvement project. It adds a layer of depth to your home, telling a story beyond aesthetics.

Have you considered any themed design styles or specific color palettes for this little home renovation of yours?

• Love
Reactions: luciana
The satisfaction makes it worthwhile and I totally get the excitement about finding that perfect piece from local artisans - it adds a very special, unique touch!

I've been thinking along the lines of a cozy, rustic theme with warm, earthy tones, and possibly some hints of pastels for a slight Scandi vibe. Nothing too overbearing, just a gentle color palette that's soothing and welcoming. I love the idea of incorporating natural materials too - wood, rattan, and perhaps some stone features.

It's so fun to envision and plan these upgrades!

Reactions: greenfingers
The satisfaction makes it worthwhile and I totally get the excitement about finding that perfect piece from local artisans - it adds a very special, unique touch!

I've been thinking along the lines of a cozy, rustic theme with warm, earthy tones, and possibly some hints of pastels for a slight Scandi vibe. Nothing too overbearing, just a gentle color palette that's soothing and welcoming. I love the idea of incorporating natural materials too - wood, rattan, and perhaps some stone features.

It's so fun to envision and plan these upgrades!
Rustic yetScandinavian design with pastels sound like a unique fusion that could really bring about a cozy and inviting vibe into the home. It's exciting to create a unique blend of themes and personal style.

Have you considered any specific upgrades for the kid's room? I find that is often a fun space to decorate.

For the kids' room, it's all about creating a versatile space that can adapt to their changing needs. Think modular furniture, adaptable designs, and multi-purpose pieces. A mix of fun and practicality!

I'm thinking of a muted color palette with pops of pastels for an uplifting vibe, which is easy on the eyes and can be a great base for any themed decorations they might want as they grow.可可

Some adjustable shelving and customizable storage would be considered too so they can personalize their space as they wish - a growing collection of books, display items, or toys can be showcased.

What other specific upgrades have you planned for the rest of the house? It's such an exciting process!

For the kids' room, it's all about creating a versatile space that can adapt to their changing needs. Think modular furniture, adaptable designs, and multi-purpose pieces. A mix of fun and practicality!

I'm thinking of a muted color palette with pops of pastels for an uplifting vibe, which is easy on the eyes and can be a great base for any themed decorations they might want as they grow.可可

Some adjustable shelving and customizable storage would be considered too so they can personalize their space as they wish - a growing collection of books, display items, or toys can be showcased.

What other specific upgrades have you planned for the rest of the house? It's such an exciting process!
It does sound exciting I've been contemplating under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen to go with our new marble countertops and also some statement light fixtures over the dining table. I'm also planning a total makeover for the guest bathroom - new tiles, fixtures, and a trendy vanity. These are mostly aesthetic upgrades, but they make such a difference in lifting the overall vibe of the home!

I'm finding this process so enjoyable because I'm taking my time to really consider each aspect carefully - it's a great way to envision the end result and picture ourselves living in the upgraded spaces.

It does sound exciting I've been contemplating under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen to go with our new marble countertops and also some statement light fixtures over the dining table. I'm also planning a total makeover for the guest bathroom - new tiles, fixtures, and a trendy vanity. These are mostly aesthetic upgrades, but they make such a difference in lifting the overall vibe of the home!

I'm finding this process so enjoyable because I'm taking my time to really consider each aspect carefully - it's a great way to envision the end result and picture ourselves living in the upgraded spaces.
It sounds like your home upgrades are well thought out and purposeful! I especially love the idea of a guest bathroom makeover - it's often the most overlooked space, but can make such an impression on guests.

Do you have a favourite theme or design style that you're sticking to for the overall home renovations?

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
It sounds like your home upgrades are well thought out and purposeful! I especially love the idea of a guest bathroom makeover - it's often the most overlooked space, but can make such an impression on guests.

Do you have a favourite theme or design style that you're sticking to for the overall home renovations?
I'm imagining a generally modern contemporary feel with a warm and cozy vibe for the overall theme. Nothing too edgy or starkly minimalist as I want it to be a welcoming and comfortable space. So probably some soft furnishing, warm lighting, and a general earth tone color palette with pops of interest here and there. I want the spaces to feel inviting and relaxing after a long day.

I'm imagining a generally modern contemporary feel with a warm and cozy vibe for the overall theme. Nothing too edgy or starkly minimalist as I want it to be a welcoming and comfortable space. So probably some soft furnishing, warm lighting, and a general earth tone color palette with pops of interest here and there. I want the spaces to feel inviting and relaxing after a long day.
You seem to have thought of everything! It's wonderful to plan these upgrades with a clear vision in mind. I'm sure the end result will be incredible.

Have you considered any energy-efficient appliances or sustainable practices for these home improvements? That's high on my priority list, especially as it's beneficial for the long term.

You seem to have thought of everything! It's wonderful to plan these upgrades with a clear vision in mind. I'm sure the end result will be incredible.

Have you considered any energy-efficient appliances or sustainable practices for these home improvements? That's high on my priority list, especially as it's beneficial for the long term.
We do plan to install energy-efficient appliances and lighting as part of our home upgrades. It definitely adds a functional and sustainable element which is beneficial in the long run. Plus, some of these green modifications can help reduce costs in the long run too - bonus!

I'm especially keen on looking into sustainable furniture options and eco-friendly paints, as I think those are often overlooked but equally important. It's amazing how many cool innovations there are nowadays in this field!

The kids' room might feature some upcycled furniture for a unique and sustainable touch too. All these little touches add character as well!

We're actually doing a fairly extensive renovation and have definitely kept sustainability in mind. Energy-efficient LEDs and smart lighting are being installed throughout the house, and we've also invested in some solar panels - good for the environment and lowering our energy costs!

We've also decided on low-flow toilets and water-saving showerheads in the bathrooms. And where possible, we're trying to source eco-friendly and sustainably produced materials like bamboo or reclaimed wood for our furnishings. It's amazing how many options there are nowadays!

I never realized how many ways one can contribute to environmental efforts without compromising on style or quality. It's definitely an exciting journey!

We're actually doing a fairly extensive renovation and have definitely kept sustainability in mind. Energy-efficient LEDs and smart lighting are being installed throughout the house, and we've also invested in some solar panels - good for the environment and lowering our energy costs!

We've also decided on low-flow toilets and water-saving showerheads in the bathrooms. And where possible, we're trying to source eco-friendly and sustainably produced materials like bamboo or reclaimed wood for our furnishings. It's amazing how many options there are nowadays!

I never realized how many ways one can contribute to environmental efforts without compromising on style or quality. It's definitely an exciting journey!
It's fantastic to hear about your conscious efforts towards a more sustainable home. Those small changes add up and have a positive impact, especially with solar panels and energy-efficient measures.

For kitchen appliances, have you looked into the new induction cooktops that use magnetic fields for cooking? They're super efficient and a step up from regular electric stoves. Some brands also have cool safety features. might be worth considering if you haven't already! It's an exciting time to be making these choices with so many innovative options around.

It's fantastic to hear about your conscious efforts towards a more sustainable home. Those small changes add up and have a positive impact, especially with solar panels and energy-efficient measures.

For kitchen appliances, have you looked into the new induction cooktops that use magnetic fields for cooking? They're super efficient and a step up from regular electric stoves. Some brands also have cool safety features. might be worth considering if you haven't already! It's an exciting time to be making these choices with so many innovative options around.
Thank you for the tip regarding induction cooktops; I haven't looked into them in detail, but knowing that they are more efficient than regular electric stoves is intriguing. I appreciate all these suggestions because they're practical and contribute to a greener home.

I'm learning there's so much more to consider beyond aesthetics and functionality! All these little decisions can really create a unique, purpose-driven space. It's an exciting and fulfilling journey.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and luciana
Induction is certainly the way to go if you're looking for efficient cooking and a greener alternative - it's fascinating how they work, too! The magnetism concept is so cool and the fact that they're becoming more affordable is an added bonus. It's reassuring to know these options are increasingly becoming more accessible.

The joy of creating a space tailored to personal preferences and passions is immense, especially when discovering all the possibilities. It's like an exciting treasure hunt sussing out these sustainable finds!

I completely agree - induction cooktops are a fascinating and efficient choice, and it's wonderful to see how technology has made them more accessible and affordable. It's such an exciting process to dive into all the possibilities of sustainable and modern features now available for the home. There's a real joy in curating a space with these thoughtful considerations!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu