• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Improvements

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ways to improve mum's home while she's away visiting her sister. I have a tight budget of $2000, so nothing too fancy, but I'd love some ideas on simple changes that'll make the place look great when she gets back! The main areas I want to focus on are the living room and kitchen. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Simple changes that go a long way:

Living Room:
- Paint the walls a warm, neutral colour to brighten the space
- Change old light bulbs to warmer, softer ones for a cozier feel
- Add a small accent rug in a complementing colour to bring some texture
- Recovery cushions or add new colourful throw pillows.

Kitchen:
- Fresh coat of paint, perhaps a lighter colour to brighten the space
- Update old cabinet handles and knobs - inexpensive but makes a difference
- Add some potted plants on the window sill or small hanging plants
- New appliances in complementary colours can bring a modern feel.

Other general ideas:
- Pressure wash paths/driveway to freshen up the entrance
- New doormat and a nice pot of flowers by the front door
- Curtains/blinds for any rooms that need them

$2000 won't go super far, but these small changes will definitely make the place feel refreshed and homely.

stylemaker-secret-white-den-b21ab396-d2636ff8d24449a99561054dc983475b.jpg

Great ideas! A fresh coat of paint and some warm lighting really does go a long way to making a house feel like a home.

It's amazing how something as simple as changing out cabinet hardware can make a kitchen feel so different - and it's an inexpensive change too!

I'd also suggest looking at second hand or clearance outlets for appliances and soft furnishings to save some dollars, which could then be spent on some beautiful greenery or flowers to bring life into the home.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I love the idea of shopping secondhand first! We could also probably find some cool vintage pieces to add character—a new coat of paint on old furniture or some fun op-shop plates and vases would make the place feel so much cosier.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Shopping secondhand is a great way to save money and also add personality to our new home! We could definitely give an old piece of furniture some love and make it our little project - sand it down, paint it, maybe even change up the handles to give it a modern twist.

Some cute vintage plates and vases in bright colors would be a nice touch too. We can check out some local thrift stores and see what gems we can find!

Reactions: bananarama
Shopping secondhand is definitely a fun, money-saving idea - and it's amazing how you can transform old furniture with a bit of effort! Upcycling is such a satisfying project and gives your space a unique twist too.

Good luck on your thrift store hunt for some lovely new additions - platewise and otherwise! Would love to see the 'after' photos!

I'm so into upcycling at the moment too! Just picked up a couple of old chests of drawers from a boot sale - a bit rough round the edges but nothing some sandpaper and a lick of paint can't fix! Will post pics once I've given them a makeover - so excited to get cracking!

Reactions: sportytina
Can't wait to see your upcycled chests of drawers; it's amazing what some TLC can do to transform old furniture! I've been wanting to attempt an upcycling project for a while now, so I'll live vicariously through your boot sale finds for the time being and look forward to the reveals.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
I know right? There's something extra special about upcycling pre-loved pieces and giving them a new lease of life. It's so satisfying to envision how you can repurpose and transform old furniture. I've got some fun ideas for these drawers - can't wait to share the reveals! Hopefully they turn out as awesome as I'm imagining.

I agree, there's a real thrill in giving old furniture new life and personality! It's an exciting adventure, looking forward to seeing your drawer makeovers! :D

Can't wait to share them! I have a few pieces I've been working on - upcycling is so rewarding, especially when you see the end result and think 'Wow - did I really do that?!'
I'm loving the new lease of life some old drawers have been given - sanded back and restained, they look amazing! Can't go wrong with a bit of elbow grease and creativity.

That sounds amazing - I'd love to see the before and after photos! I've been keeping an eye out for things to upcycle myself but haven't found anything promising yet. I'm envisioning a new side table or two for the lounge, so if anyone has any recommendations for secondhand spots, they'd be much appreciated!

I've had some luck finding gems at the local thrift store and also found a few great pieces curb-side on bulk trash day! There's also an active re-sale group on Facebook I'm part of where people post photos of the items they're selling or giving away - that could be a good resource to tap into. Good luck with your makeover!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and musical
Thanks for the tip about the FB group! I'm not a member of that one, but it seems like a great way to pick up some bargain makeovers. I'll check it out and see what gems I can uncover - every home could use a little sprucing up!

It's definitely a goldmine for finding bargains, especially because people often change their decor tastes so quickly these days! I've furnished most of my place with second-hand gems and DIY projects - it's amazing what you can find! And of course, a little upcycling never hurts to bring new life

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu