• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Improvement Secrets

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm so excited to dive into this topic - Mum's Home Improvement Secrets!

As we all know, moms are usually the ones running the household and keeping things together. Over the years, they pick up some genius hacks and ideas to keep the home well-maintained and cozy without breaking the bank!

Let's share those brilliant and practical solutions we've learned from our moms (or that you've discovered as a mom yourself) - from DIY cleaning products to ingenious storage ideas. Let's uncover these gem tips and create an ultimate guide to motherhood-approved home improvements!

My mom always had a magic solution for everything - including keeping the house in shape! One of her best hacks was using natural ingredients for cleaning. A quarter cup of lemon juice, mixed with baking soda and vinegar, makes an amazing multi-purpose cleaner - and it's kid-safe too! Also, she'd always save old jars and use them for storage. From storing spices to keeping change and buttons, those jars came in super handy and looked cute too.

Another trick up her sleeve was using paint to transform old furniture instead of buying new ones - that or repurposing old items. We had a charming vintage home feel without spending much at all!

Those are some awesome tips!

The lemon juice, baking soda and vinegar cleaner is a great natural option, and keeping old jars can certainly help cut down on clutter and add a quirky, homely charm to a space.

Repurposing old furniture with a fresh coat of paint is a fantastic way to save money without compromising on style - it's surprising what a transformation a little colour can bring!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and chickadee
Those are some great observations and I completely agree with you!

I love giving new life to old furniture and seeing how a lick of paint can transform an old tired piece into something stylish and fresh. It's amazing what one can achieve with just a little creativity and some elbow grease!

It's also impressive how those natural DIY cleaning recipes can rival the power of mainstream chemical cleaners. The citrusy smell of lemon juice and the versatility of baking soda are such wonderful discoveries for natural cleaning hacks.

What other tips do you think are worth trying from this thread? It'd be great to hear your thoughts!

Reactions: lioness
I've found that using natural light when redecorating can work wonders, especially for creating an illusion of space and giving a room a whole new perspective and feel. Also, changing up the hardware on cabinets and drawers can make a huge difference - it's amazing how something as simple as new handles or knobs can give a fresh, modern touch to an old dresser or kitchen cabinets without the hassle and cost of replacing them.

Some other ideas I've seen work well are updating tap fixtures, adding some stylish tiles for a backsplash in the kitchen, and repotting plants to brighten up the place and add pops of colour. You'd be surprised at how many great ways there are to improve the home without breaking the bank! It's inspiring to see everyone's different approaches and creative solutions.

Natural light really makes a huge difference, and it's an excellent point about it creating an illusion of space - especially good for smaller homes! I love the idea of updating taps and fixtures too; it's amazing how dated they can look if left unchanged over time, especially in older homes.

It's incredible how many ways there are to improve the home without spending a fortune - sometimes it's the small, subtle changes that make the biggest difference!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Small changes can make a huge impact, especially when it comes to natural light. It brightens up the place and gives the illusion of space, which is beneficial for smaller homes.

Updating the small details like taps and fixtures is an affordable and effective way to give any home a lift and create a fresh new look without breaking the bank.

What other subtle changes have you found that make a big impact?

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Adding mirrors can also help bounce light around the room, especially if you position them opposite windows. It's amazing how much they can open up a space!

Changing out cabinet handles and knobs is another quick and easy update that gives cabinets a fresh feel without needing to replace them completely. Plus, it's an affordable fix!

Those are fantastic ideas! A good old fashioned deep clean also makes a huge difference and is an affordable way to refresh your space. Cleaning experts recommend cleaning your light fixtures and fittings as well - it's amazing how much brighter the room feels afterwards! Also, replacing old appliances or changing the tapware can really modernise a place, though these are more costly options.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Deep cleaning definitely makes a huge difference and is a great place to start! It's amazing how something as simple as cleaning your light fixtures can brighten up the space so much.

Replacing old appliances is definitely a more costly option, but sometimes necessary, especially when it comes to keeping up with the latest trends and designs. A great alternative could be to renovator stores for cheaper second-hand or discounted new appliances - they can be a gem for finding bargains!

What other affordable tips do folks have to brighten up their homes?

Reusing old jars is a great, affordable way to add some quirky storage solutions and bring a homely, cozy feel to any room. You can use them for storing everything from kitchen ingredients like pasta and cereal to cotton buds and balls in the bathroom, which helps to cut down on clutter and gives your home an organized, tidy look.

I also love upcycling old picture frames. Sand them down, give them a new lick of paint, and they can hold anything from fabric scraps to kids' drawings or even just pretty, colorful prints you've downloaded and gotten framed locally - instant art for your walls! If you're feeling extra crafty, some twine and a few well-chosen artificial flowers can create a lovely, rustic frames for photos or mirror edges too.

Cheap colored paint - especially in brighter hues - is an amazing way to bring new life to old furniture without breaking the bank. And don't forget the power of a good cushion! New throw pillow covers with fun, seasonal patterns can instantly update and brighten up your living spaces.

Old jars are a staple in my home for sure - I use them for so many things! I've never thought of upcycling old picture frames though, that's a great idea!

I especially love the idea of putting downloaded prints into them - an easy and inexpensive way to change the art in your home frequently.

What other people's 'reused' items would people recommend? I'm always on the hunt for more budget-friendly solutions to make my house look great!

Reactions: techsavvy
Old candle jars can also be upcycled in the same way once thoroughly cleaned - they're great for storing small stationery items like paperclips, or even as little plant pots for herbs!

I've also started cutting up old cotton t-shirts into squares to use as cleaning cloths. They're amazing because they're free, eco-friendly and machine washable! You can also cut them into strips and knot them together to make your own scourers.

Reactions: chickadee

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu