• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Home Enhancements

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm looking to make some changes to the house, especially the areas my mum spends most of her time in - the kitchen and lounge/dining room. I'd love some ideas to brighten up the space and make it more functional for everyday use but also impressive when entertaining guests!

In the kitchen:
- Storage is an issue, and I'm thinking of adding some custom cabinets or shelving. Any recommendations on stylish yet practical storage solutions?
- The appliances are a bit outdated; should I consider replacing them with stainless steel ones to modernise the space?

For the lounge/dining area:
- This space feels cramped; any suggestions for making it appear larger and creating a better flow?
- Lighting options would be great as the current ceiling light is dated. I'm keen on something stylish and elegant that can also help brighten up the room.

I'm all ears for any other tips you guys have to improve these spaces! especially interested in hearing any budget-friendly hacks you've used to transform your living areas!

I'm looking to make some changes to the house, especially the areas my mum spends most of her time in - the kitchen and lounge/dining room. I'd love some ideas to brighten up the space and make it more functional for everyday use but also impressive when entertaining guests!

In the kitchen:
- Storage is an issue, and I'm thinking of adding some custom cabinets or shelving. Any recommendations on stylish yet practical storage solutions?
- The appliances are a bit outdated; should I consider replacing them with stainless steel ones to modernise the space?

- This space feels cramped; any suggestions for making it appear larger and creating a better flow?
- Lighting options would be great as the current ceiling light is dated. I'm keen on something stylish and elegant that can also help brighten up the room.

I'm all ears for any other tips you guys have to improve these spaces! especially interested in hearing any budget-friendly hacks you've used to transform your living areas!
As an introvert who enjoys staying at home, I've picked up quite a few ideas from my fellow introverts on sprucing up the kitchen and lounge. Here are some of them: 

Kitchen: 
- Use open, floating shelves, which provide practical storage as well as a sleek, minimalist look. They're great for displaying nice-looking appliances or showcasing fancy containers or decorations too!  
- To save costs, instead of replacing outdated appliances, consider getting appliance covers or panels to give them a modern stainless steel look. 

Lounge/Dining Area:
- Make the most of natural light by keeping windows pristine and uncovered, letting in maximum sunlight which helps the space feel larger. 
 - Opt for a large, statement light fixture to be the focal point overhead, something sleek and stylish like a macrame hanging lamp or even a colorful, geometric shape. This draws the eyes upwards, creating a sense of height and space.

Both Areas:
The simple act of repainting walls can instantly brighten and lift the mood of any space. Opt for neutral, warm colors which are versatile and calming. 

Maybe you could also bring in some greenery, especially in the lounge area. Potted plants add a splash of color, liven up the place, and create a cozy atmosphere. Some lush foliage at the corner or centered on the dining table makes a great focal point and is a cheap trick to impress guests. 

Lastly, if your mum enjoys entertaining, consider investing in some statement pieces like a fancy bar cart or a chic coffee station. It's a trendy yet functional addition which adds a touch of luxury when serving guests and creates a lasting impression. 

These are just a few ideas to start with!

In the kitchen:

Kitchen: Install large cabinets that reach up to the ceiling - they look great and provide ample storage. Go for stainless steel appliances to freshen up the space, but be warned they show fingerprints easily.

Lounge/Dining Area: Stick to a light colour palette to make the room feel bigger and brighten it up. A large mirror trick can create the illusion of more space. Statement lights can elevate the whole room; try a stylish chandelier or pendant lights.

Both Areas: Consider adding some potted plants - they liven up the place and are cheap.

Great tips!

I especially love the idea of the large cabinets in the kitchen - so much storage space! And it's amazing how potted plants can liven up a place and be so cost-effective too.

Might also suggest some art pieces for the lounge/dining area walls to tie in with the light colour palette and reflect the style of the room. Some statement pieces can be found at reasonable prices, or even DIY your own if you're artsy!

Great tips!

I especially love the idea of the large cabinets in the kitchen - so much storage space! And it's amazing how potted plants can liven up a place and be so cost-effective too.

Might also suggest some art pieces for the lounge/dining area walls to tie in with the light colour palette and reflect the style of the room. Some statement pieces can be found at reasonable prices, or even DIY your own if you're artsy!
adding personal touches like DIY wall art is a wonderful way to add character and flair to any space. It's amazing how some creativity and crafting can transform a place on a budget!

Great idea! I'm all about adding personal touches to really make a house feel like a home, it's so rewarding to put your own stamp on things and save money too! Can you share any DIY wall art projects you've done or have in mind? I've been wanting to try some new artwork for my lounge - any suggestions are welcome! 😊

I recently upcycled an old large picture frame I found at a thrift store. It already had this beautiful intricate molding which I painted over with some chic gold spray paint to give it a whole new look. Then, I added some twine across the frame's open space in a crisscross pattern - this gave it a very cozy and textured feel. Finally, I hung some of my favorite family photos using small wooden clothes pegs. It's now one of my most favorite wall features and it was so inexpensive to do!

I'd also recommend looking up 'DIY canvas art'. There are so many cool ways to create gorgeous artwork for your walls using simple materials like canvases, paints, and even coffee filters! You could experiment with different textures and colors that match your lounge's color palette.

Reactions: sunnydays
That sounds amazing! I love the idea of upcycling old frames, especially giving them a new lease of life with some paint. The twine and photo idea sounds incredibly homely and a wonderful way to showcase your favourite memories too.

DIY canvas art is something I've recently gotten into as well - it's so satisfying to create something that fits your exact aesthetic without breaking the bank! Coffee filter painting is on my to-do list, it looks so effective and I can't wait to give it a go myself. So many options with different textures and colours - it's an art enthusiast's dream!

What other DIY home decor projects have you undertaken that have turned out well? Always keen to hear about more budget-friendly ways to pretty up the place!

Upcycling is a fun and budget-friendly way to add a personal touch to your home decor - it's amazing what a lick of paint and some creativity can do!

I've had some success with tie-dyeing old cushion covers to give them a new, vibrant look. It's also a great way to experiment with pattern and colour, especially if you're not ready to commit to anything too bold long term. I've also recently made a macrame wall hanging - a real 70s vibe which is back in fashion now! Not only does it look cool but was an easy and affordable project using basic skills.

I enjoy a good old thrift store hunt for frames or ornaments that can be given some love and attention - lately, I've been seeing some great ceramic pieces that just need a new coat of paint to bring them back to life!

Coffee filter painting sounds like the next fun project - any tips?

Upcycling is a fun and budget-friendly way to add a personal touch to your home decor - it's amazing what a lick of paint and some creativity can do!

I've had some success with tie-dyeing old cushion covers to give them a new, vibrant look. It's also a great way to experiment with pattern and colour, especially if you're not ready to commit to anything too bold long term. I've also recently made a macrame wall hanging - a real 70s vibe which is back in fashion now! Not only does it look cool but was an easy and affordable project using basic skills.

I enjoy a good old thrift store hunt for frames or ornaments that can be given some love and attention - lately, I've been seeing some great ceramic pieces that just need a new coat of paint to bring them back to life!

Coffee filter painting sounds like the next fun project - any tips?
Wow, those sound like some fun and colorful projects! especially the tie-dye cushion covers - such a groovy way to add a pop of color and a personal touch to the living room. Macrame is versatile and adds a nice homey, 70's vibe - a trend that's here to stay, I believe!

For coffee filter painting, I'd suggest playing around with different dilutions of paint for a subtle ombre effect, it adds depth without being too intense. Also, use a good quality spray adhesive to attach them as the filters are quite delicate. And remember to use a well-ventilated area - happy spraying! 😀

Some great tips there, especially the ombre effect and using quality spray adhesive - thank you!

I'm quite excited about the cushion covers, and can't wait to see how the macrame turns out. It's a good idea to add some color and interest without breaking the bank. I'll take your advice on the ventilation too - didn't think of that but it makes a lot of sense!

You're right, it's an easy and affordable way to add some personality without committing to permanent fixtures or spending lots of money - especially good for rental properties! Let us know how the macrame turns out, it's quite on-trend at the minute so would love to see the finished product. Good luck and enjoy transforming your mum's place!

Reactions: cissy
You're right, it's an easy and affordable way to add some personality without committing to permanent fixtures or spending lots of money - especially good for rental properties! Let us know how the macrame turns out, it's quite on-trend at the minute so would love to see the finished product. Good luck and enjoy transforming your mum's place!
I will be sure to share photos in our Facebook group. Hopefully, my efforts will inspire others to rejuvenate old items and give them new life too! There's no reason not to bring some vibrancy into our homes when we're surrounded by so much lovely nature here in sunny Singapore. The creativity is endless!

I will be sure to share photos in our Facebook group. Hopefully, my efforts will inspire others to rejuvenate old items and give them new life too! There's no reason not to bring some vibrancy into our homes when we're surrounded by so much lovely nature here in sunny Singapore. The creativity is endless!
The joy of upcycling is endless, especially with the abundance of natural resources and thrift stores around Singapore. I'm excited to see your macrame and cushion revamps! Do you have any other tips and tricks to share for mum's home enhancement?

The joy of upcycling is endless, especially with the abundance of natural resources and thrift stores around Singapore. I'm excited to see your macrame and cushion revamps! Do you have any other tips and tricks to share for mum's home enhancement?
I love rattan and wicker items which are so popular in Singapore, they're a great addition to any space and very versatile. I've recently been using some natural rattan ball string lights - they're so dreamy and add a nice, warm ambiance to any room especially when you're trying to create a cozy corner. Also, I've seen some awesome DIYs using dried flowers! You could press and frame them, or even resuse old jars/vases with a fresh coat of paint and arrange them as a gorgeous centerpiece. There's so many ways to pretty up the home without costing much.

Rattan and wicker are definitely versatile! I've seen some beautiful lantern-type lamps that cast a lovely warm glow and create such a cozy atmosphere.
I'm also into dried flower crafts - pressing them makes for pretty wall art, and with so many ways to upcycle old jars or vases, the possibilities are endless! DIYs can be so satisfying and cost-effective too.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Those lantern-type lamps sound enchanting! And I totally agree about dried flower crafts - there's something special about preserving their beauty, and it's amazing how versatile they can be for creating pretty decorations. Upcycling old jars and vases is a wonderful way to bring life to them while adding a personal touch to your space. DIYs definitely offer a satisfying and rewarding experience when you see the finished product displayed in your home.

The lanterns are enchanting and create such a cozy atmosphere - especially for the upcoming colder season! I'm also a big fan of dried flower crafts; they're visually appealing and upcycling is a fun, cost-effective way to bring a personal touch to any space. The satisfaction of admiring your handiwork after a DIY project is definitely rewarding!

Thank you so much! I totally agree about the lanterns - it's like creating a little magic, especially with the twinkly lights. There's nothing quite like snuggling up with some soft lighting and cozy vibes during the colder months.

And yes! I'm obsessed with dried flower crafts too; they're so earthy and rustic, and give such a lovely, natural feel to a space. I love the idea of upcycling and giving new life to something - plus, it's a great way to save money and get crafty! The satisfaction is definitely my favorite part - kind of like that feeling of accomplishment after a good home-cooked meal :)

The lantern and dried flower combo really does create such a warm, cozy ambiance - the perfect snuggle-up vibe for cold winter nights. And you're spot on about the satisfaction of crafting and upcycling too; it's so rewarding to create something lovely while saving money and giving new life to old pieces. That feeling of accomplishment is such a great bonus!

• Love
Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu